Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think about the: ACDelco GM OE dexos1® Full Synthetic Oil?

I have been using mobile 1 but considering price jumps, I may make a temporary change.

Any info on the matter is appreciated - positive or negative.

· Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some sources say that the Mobile 1 is better than the ACDelco dexos 1 because the Mobile 1 is designed for turbocharged type cars

I know this is an over played topic but I still have to get my oil changed every 3000 miles right?

· Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
I change the oil in my 06 grand caravan and 16 Cherokee every 3,000 miles. Both get penzoil.
My GM cars get mobil 1

· Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you guys know if the corvette supercharged or turbo use dexos or camaro use dexos1

· Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Carmaro used dexctros Corvettea moble 1
Thanks

I am thinking that I will stick with mobile 1. My reasoning is that the ion redline is an "old" car that was made for the economical performance area.
It is not a corvette or camaro or even a cobalt SS turbo. The gm oil is manufactured for mass production. They must have asked the chemists to formulate a product that could be used in all the cars so that the company can reduce costs. If Gm were to use several types of oil it is likely to cause errors at the service department. Customer complaints would go up and sales go down.

So with this reasoning the gm dexos is probably the best product for GM but not for the Saturn ion redline.

The GM oil did not exist in the 2004 and probably not until about 2010+ - have to research that

Any way for an extra $30 and over 6 months to a year , the cost is only a few pennies more (about 15 cents or less a day )

· Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I change the oil in my 06 grand caravan and 16 Cherokee every 3,000 miles. Both get penzoil.
My GM cars get mobil 1
good points

thanks

· Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd say a 3000 mile oil change interval is well needed, this last oil change I did at about that mileage left the oil very dark, without even a tinge of gold like the new oil has. Though I think it's possible previous owners didn't keep up the oil changes as well as they should have, and sludge had built up inside. Hence the oil getting dirty earlier.
I copied this quote from my last oil change June 2022 - link = Golden liquid | Saturn ION RedLine Forums

Does the oil color indicate that the oil life has decreased? I heard different opinions.

· Registered
2007 IRL, magnaflow catback, coilovers, carbon wing, alum splitter, zzp 2.5" header&dp, ZZP Stage 3
42 Posts
I copied this quote from my last oil change June 2022 - link = Golden liquid | Saturn ION RedLine Forums

Does the oil color indicate that the oil life has decreased? I heard different opinions.
Honestly I don't think oil color can indicate oil life, and is probably unrelated. Every oilchange I've done since first purchase of my car has left the oil dark, all of them at 3k mile intervals. I would actually say it's a good thing the oil gets dark quickly, because all of that dark material in the oil is soot and such not sticking to the internals of your engine, and staying suspended in the oil to be drained at the next oilchange.

· Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly I don't think oil color can indicate oil life, and is probably unrelated. Every oilchange I've done since first purchase of my car has left the oil dark, all of them at 3k mile intervals. I would actually say it's a good thing the oil gets dark quickly, because all of that dark material in the oil is soot and such not sticking to the internals of your engine, and staying suspended in the oil to be drained at the next oilchange.
Thanks - I have never heard it explained that way

That makes sense and is a good sign then!

Thanks for responding to the old quote

Reactions: Dappersworth

· Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I now have clean mobile 1 oil again

what a feeling when the oil is new

1 - 12 of 12 Posts