Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what is the best way to make a mold for fiberglassing the same thing more than once. My buddy is going to make universal gauge pods (which just mount on a flat surface) outta fiberglass, but it won't be just a circle mounted to the surface, it'll be more of a smoothed out effected where it looks like its cut out of the surface (to some degree). I am going to make him make me gauge pods just for my car too, we'll see how they come out.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Thats great I will buy one from you. Anytime I can help a self starter I will. Ya know like you guys for me.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaha, well see how they turn out first. We have sketches of what we want it to look like (I love to draw:D), but what should we make the mold out of? foam? some other material? Any help on this would be great.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
make one first. From there fill it with expanding foam. Then cut the old one off the foam and now you have a mold. Now you can use that to make another mold which is will be the outside dimensions of your new mold. Then you glass the inside of the Last mold a few layers and when they are dry pull it out and start over.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. Granted this won't start till he is done school in june, but I can start mockups made of cardboard to see what they look like...some what.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
a good way to make the first one would be to use a foam block and carve it down, then use the method goofy explained from there. lots of info on fiberglassing on the 'net, sure you could get started before he's done with school

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, we are the the 2 laziest people you'll ever meet in your life (some days I refuse to use to change a channel because pushing the button on the remote is to much effort) so we'll see...lol.

Oh and I now relize what section I put this in...woops...lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts