Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've just experienced my first problem with my 2004 Redline that only has 1,800km (yes i'm from Canada) on it.
I was driving on the highway for about 45min at 110km/hr (nothing major) and all of a sudden loss of power and the check engine light kept flashing, took the next exit and when i came to a slow down the car stalled, when it started again the car was VERY rough and i pretty much had to force it to start. I called roadside assistance and they towed it to my dealer, I will say my dealership is very kind to me. I dropped the car off Saturday they gave me a 4door Ion to drive in the meantime (which i am still driving). I got the call today and they said that there was no compression in the #1 cylinder and that after taking the engine apart that my valve needs to be replaced.

Has anyone else had to have a valve replaced or lost compression in a cylinder? I found this very odd for a car with such few km's.
If anyone who has experienced this could please post it woudl be helpful, my dealer is looking for any similar cases i can give them as Canada is always last to hear about recalls etc!!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Haven't heard of this problem before. Must be an isolated incident.

You did good exiting right away and calling RSA. A flashing CEL is not good.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
At least Saturn roadside assistance works well, even in Canada (sorry, had to :) ). But how did you drive the car when you first got it? Did you beat the crap out of it or take it easy? Hopefully you didn't hammer it a lot...I know it's hard to control yourself not to with this thing. But if you did...you might have damaged something to cause this. Just an idea...

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, and I hope my RL with 1,789 KM (GO CANADA!!!) doesn't have the same problem.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
evlrdlne said:
Hi everyone,

I've just experienced my first problem with my 2004 Redline that only has 1,800km (yes i'm from Canada) on it.
I was driving on the highway for about 45min at 110km/hr (nothing major) and all of a sudden loss of power and the check engine light kept flashing, took the next exit and when i came to a slow down the car stalled, when it started again the car was VERY rough and i pretty much had to force it to start. I called roadside assistance and they towed it to my dealer, I will say my dealership is very kind to me. I dropped the car off Saturday they gave me a 4door Ion to drive in the meantime (which i am still driving). I got the call today and they said that there was no compression in the #1 cylinder and that after taking the engine apart that my valve needs to be replaced.

Has anyone else had to have a valve replaced or lost compression in a cylinder? I found this very odd for a car with such few km's.
If anyone who has experienced this could please post it woudl be helpful, my dealer is looking for any similar cases i can give them as Canada is always last to hear about recalls etc!!

I pray to god that is isolated, sounds like it should be... first I've heard of anything like that with the Redlines...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Its out, check the group buy...

·
Registered
808 Posts
back to the thread, i havent heard or this problem, have about 6 customers and mine, no problems.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sounds issolated. I've got 16,000Klm on mine and no problem (other than a clutch engaging problem).
BTW where are you located. I got mine from Saturn Saab of Thornhill.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in response to the question on how hard i've drivin the car, the answer is not hard at all the car has been handled very carefully, its mainly being used for a show car, hasn't been driving more than 120km/hr yet! I'm still without the car, they called today and said that hopefully i'd have the car back Saturday. I'm getting tired of driving this 4 door Ion 1 with just a radio!! hehe

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Well i crossed the threshold and nope, didn't have this problem. I really hope you get this fixed and find out whats wrong..just in case it isn't isolated :( ..Best of luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Greetings all. New member here. Dredging up an old thread because we have a similar problem. Daughter has 2004 RL with about 140K on it. Just bought it from a private party about a month ago.

Daughter got home from work a few days ago stating that the car was running rough. She said the check engine light was flashing. I'm no mechanic, but I do basic repairs myself so I thought I'd give it a look. She started it for me and it sounded like a misfire. At this point, the check engine light is on constant. My first thought was to check the plugs. What I found was something I had never seen before. On two of the plugs, the ground electrode was gone! One looked like it had broken off, the other looked more like it was burned off. Counting from passenger side, it was cylinders 1 & 3, respectively. On the plug from cylinder 3, the porcelain around the center electrode was gone as well. I tried the easy fix - replace the plugs. Still ran rough. I decided to do a compression check.

It was not good:

1-180
2-170
3-naught
4-170

I'm trying to get access to a code scanner to see if that will tell me more. I'd like to get this forum's members' opinion on it. What are the chances that this is a cylinder head issue (e.g stuck or bent valve), versus a bottom end issue (e.g hole in the piston, fractured ring land)?

FYI, the plugs that Advance Auto sold me (Autolite AP3923) are about 1/4" shorter on the threads than what was in it (ACDelco 41-102).

Thanks in advance!
Terry

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Not sounding good. I have not heard of many bent valves that did not have bottom end troubles.

Was it running rough when bought?

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
sounds like someone put longer 2.2 plugs in an 2.0 lsj: disaster. I have heard of it before; or someone put in a bad tune. |I am betting wrong plug length. not good. dont know where you are located so cant suggest places to go...

·
....Just A Saturn My Ass
1,222 Posts
sounds like someone put longer 2.2 plugs in an 2.0 lsj: disaster. I have heard of it before; or someone put in a bad tune. |I am betting wrong plug length. not good. dont know where you are located so cant suggest places to go...
^^ The wrong plugs I have seen once before first hand when I worked at Saturn of Halifax. The tech asked for plugs and they gave him non redline plugs, 2.2 plugs. It was very very bad.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts