Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Black sludge under car

1196 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  goaliemo
Hi I'm new to the redline forums. I just bought a 2004 saturn ion redline with 160,000 miles. It's completely stock, but has a bad exhaust leak out of the muffler. with that said there's a bunch of black sludge under only the rear of the car, no farther forward then the rear shocks. The sludge has no oder and it grainy as if it was carbon build up or dirt. Any help is appreciated.This is a video of the underneath of the car
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Wonder if the muffler is blowing carbon all over? I'm sure condensation would make it sludge up like that after being neglected
Follow the sludge forward. There you will find the leak. It looks like your evap cannister was covered in it, too. But the cannister would not cause that.
There should be a visible external leak, find it. Don't forget to rule out a ruptured fuel-pressure regulator.
Sorry for the late reply, but I’d like to drop in and say that it could be a buildup of carbon or dirt, but it's hard to say for sure without seeing the video. Have you tried cleaning it off to see if it comes back? It could also be worth getting a mechanic to take a look at the exhaust leak to see if that could be contributing to the issue.
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you're in Italy? Is there a redline in Italy?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts