Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like it says I am painting the brake calipers blue. All I gotta say is it looks AMAZING!!!! I'm still only on the first one its in the middle of drying the second coat can't wait to go put the rim back on and check it out. Oh and also I bought the Mr. Clean AutoDry and that thing does an AMAZING JOB! I'll post pics soon
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
D3XXFR said:
Just like it says I am painting the brake calipers blue. All I gotta say is it looks AMAZING!!!! I'm still only on the first one its in the middle of drying the second coat can't wait to go put the rim back on and check it out. Oh and also I bought the Mr. Clean AutoDry and that thing does an AMAZING JOB! I'll post pics soon
Which paint did you use, the spray kind, or the brush on kit? I've been looking for the brush on one, heard it was real good, but none of the local stores around here seem to carry it.

Ditto on the Mr. Clean tool as well, I bought it Friday, washed the car, let it dry without touching it at all. The only place that you can slightly see some streaks is looking through the windows. All in all, it's a great product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I inquired about having my calipers taken apart and painted at a local shop. I was told it was "too dangerous" to paint calipers. They said paint could get on the piston and lock the brakes up. I've seen hundreds of cars with painted calipers, and I've never heard of this problem. Is this actually a serious problem or was I getting fed a line?

Later,
Chrome...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Which paint did you use, the spray kind, or the brush on kit? I've been looking for the brush on one, heard it was real good, but none of the local stores around here seem to carry it.

Ditto on the Mr. Clean tool as well, I bought it Friday, washed the car, let it dry without touching it at all. The only place that you can slightly see some streaks is looking through the windows. All in all, it's a great product.
here ya go dude
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/search.aspx?qs=brake caliper paint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the VHT Spray. I gotta say it came out great. I just masked everything off and sprayed light even coats I think I actually only needed two. I only got the front ones done today, I ran outta sun light cause I was completely doing my entire car. I did the interior and all heh anyway I'll post pics of them tomorrow after I do the back ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
I have been wanting to do this. But I'm in the middle of building a porch. So my car is on hold. thanks guys for the links to order the paint. I will aleast do that tonight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Autozone carries the brush on kit (ceramic paint). I pulled the caliers off the mounts (not a hard job on a brand new car) and cleaned them with the included spray solvent and proceeded to waste the nest 3 hours painting 1/2 of each caliper at a time in rotation. That is the best way to do them. No matter which angle your look at my wheels, the calipers are a nice red color. Do not half ass it and use the masking tape and only paint the fronts, leave that method for the Honda boys... do the right thing, paint the complete caliper. ... I just went to the garage and looked, the kit was from Dupli-color. here is the link to it. Duplicolor caliper kit
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks good! I like the spray it actually comes out REALLY NICE, whats that baby doin up on Jack Stands? Did you break it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
D3XXFR said:
looks good! I like the spray it actually comes out REALLY NICE, whats that baby doin up on Jack Stands? Did you break it :)
Nope, I was looking at the exhaust system to see what can be done and then I decided to pull the lower trans mount off. I'm taking it to work tomorrow and going to see what can be done to stiffen it up.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Why didn't you paint the whole caliper? Just personal preference, or was there an actual reason? That's the kit I'm looking for, the Autozone by me dosen't ever have it. I should look at another one...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I didn't see the brush on kit either thats why I just picked up the VHT spray. I think it looks great and its really easy to apply a couple light coats and let it dry, I'm actually waiting for the 3rd one to dry now :)
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
D3XXFR said:
Yea I didn't see the brush on kit either thats why I just picked up the VHT spray. I think it looks great and its really easy to apply a couple light coats and let it dry, I'm actually waiting for the 3rd one to dry now :)
I used the VHT on my Camaro, and it came out like crap. I think that has at least as much to do with my methods as anything else. I also used yellow, yea, don't ask. It looked like ass. Something told me yellow calipers on a purple car would look good. Should've known better...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,556 Posts
ive used vht

yellow, red and silver.

red on my 92 z24

yellow the first time on my 02 ls sport

silver the second time on my ls sport

its decent paint but it does wear away with time. some sort of high strenght clear coat would benifit this setup i think, but i havent found any yet.

as of now my redline has no paint on the breaks yet, it will happen eventually

keith-

btw dex call me, i gotta show you my new sound goodies, and ask you a few questions about the rears, alex said you did yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Why didn't you paint the whole caliper? Just personal preference, or was there an actual reason? That's the kit I'm looking for, the Autozone by me dosen't ever have it. I should look at another one...
I painted the whole caliper, I did not paint the mounting bracket which surrounds the caliper. I plan on painting that part either gunmetal or silver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blu_Redline said:
I painted the whole caliper, I did not paint the mounting bracket which surrounds the caliper. I plan on painting that part either gunmetal or silver.
That sounds hot actually can't wait to see it!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top