Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this forum; I just had my first run with the Redline.
So I have joined this forum to learn more.
Awesome vehicle from Saturn.

It’s Monday, and I just hate Monday’s. Everything that goes wrong in my business happens on Mondays. One of my customer’s servers went down and he needs to have it running right away. The item in his server is special order, he can’t wait, I decide to drive to my supplier for him right away.
Finally I arrive at my store and hand over the technician the hardware that I just picked up, a few minutes later my tech calls me over and he states “No Workie” I explained to him I don’t like his attitude (kidding of course) and I find myself in the 540i driving back to my supplier.
Driving back towards the QEW I’m approaching an intersection, my speed increases from 60kmh to 80kmh, trying to get through the intersection before the light turns red.
I hear an engine sound through my sunroof and what seems to be a loud supercharger.
Every minute counts especially when your server is down.
“Red” Chit, did not make it through the red light.
The 540i comes to a full stop, I glance over to my right to see another black coloured vehicle, the shape looks familiar however it looks different. Kewl Saturn Redline.
I like those cars Saturn has finally got a great performing and looking vehicle, I heard many good things about them however never seen one before in real life.
Now here is the funny thing.
As I’m sitting at the light and there is louder noise coming from underneath the hood of the vehicle to my right. My face starts to hurt. Thinking to my self I thought “You are joking right”
He is actually revving his engine at me. I glance to my right trying to look at the drivers face, however due to the darkness of my and his window tint I could not see his face clearly, I did notice he had his head forward and his eyes probably glued to the Lights at the Intersection. So I move forward a foot or two so does he, well you know what that means.
I release my clutch just to the point where it’s starting to grab, bring the Rpm’s to 1500 turn of my traction control system.
Now I’m thinking this individual is either going to go for it or I’m going to look like a complete A$$ by going on WOT. A$$ it is. The other light turns yellow, the Redlines engine comes to life the supercharger whining. WTF that sound, love that supercharger whine. “GREEN” the Redline lurches forward with might, I respond after all I can’t look like an A$$. Clutch fully engaged 1/2 throttle the 540i leaps forward with authority, I apply ¾ throttle to my pedal the engine screaming “give me more”, the rear end is coming sideways by ½ foot or so, Redline s now in my rear view mirror, 5500, 6000Rpm shift into second, WOT 5000, 6000Rpm my opponent is now 3 to 4 car lengths behind me. I shut her down left signal indicator comes on; I need to go to the highway. Glance in my right side view mirror no Redline, look at my rear view mirror and there he is. I’m the first vehicle in line. Light turns green I proceed through the intersection followed closely by the Redline. As we approach the entrance to the highway I’m accelerating to get to highway speed, glance in my rear view mirror no Redline, corner of my left eye I notice a shiny black surface of a vehicle, ahh Redline. He matches my speed. Now I’m thinking; what is going through the other drivers mind; I’m faster then the BMW on the highway, he got lucky at the light or just want to see how bad I’m going to loose.
Look into my rearview mirror no cars behind us next set of cars ½ km or so ahead. Drop down to second gear at 80kmh, Redline drops to his lower gear and he is on WOT. I respond to his request 4000Rpm he is by my side, 5000Rpm he is 3 or 4 car lengths behind me, 6000Rpm shift into 3rd he is 2 or 3 bus lengths behind me. He must have shut her down knowing that he could not catch up to me. My face hurting, Smiles are a wonderful thing. It is a good Monday after all.

·
Registered
808 Posts
beemers Ya got to love em. Had a 74 525 in germany back in 1989 had a straight 6 with 2- 2barrel carbs. Damn it was fast. Good Race bud. Id still race ya and smile even after loosing to you.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Nolimits said:
Nice Kill, its about time people start putting those cocky redline owners in their place. They try to go after the ultimate driving machine thinking in fact they are superior, only to find out that the Beemer whooped its polymer body paneled butt.
Im not cocky, and most of us will admit right away if we get beat. Will you admit defeat?.....I doubt it. Go bother your little sister and leave us alone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
SpikemanII said:
WILL THE MODERATOR PLEASE GET RID OF THESE ASSHOLES. I AM SO TIRED OF THESE TROLLS!
I hope you are not talking about my post. I do disagree with Nolimits reply to my post. First of all I'm not an A$$hole nor a Troll. I did not join this forum to put anyone or any vehicle down I explained in the post of actual events. The individual in the Redline wanted to race me; however the result did not favor him and just because of that you throw a fit. I presume if the race favored him then the post would be fine. My advice is, if you cant handle the heat then get out.
Peace!

Edit: Thanks bikeluver43

Sorry SpikemanII

·
Registered
127 Posts
So much BS I can smell it through my computer.

Darkness95M3 said:
Drop down to second gear at 80kmh, Redline drops to his lower gear and he is on WOT. I respond to his request 4000Rpm he is by my side, 5000Rpm he is 3 or 4 car lengths behind me, 6000Rpm shift into 3rd he is 2 or 3 bus lengths behind me.
How long did it take you to dream up this whole scenario? before you call my BS, I will call yours first. Those high school physics lessons actually come in handy!

Take the quoted part for example, let's do some math here, say it takes the 540i 1 sec to go from 4000 to 5000rpm, a very conservative estimate there considering how "fast" your car is and in that one sec, you put 3-4 car length on a RL. RL has a length of about 185 inches or 4.6 meters, so say about 3.5 length, which is 16 meters or so. Now let's just assume the RL was not accelerating at all (a stretch there since you were "racing") and driving at 80 km/hr the whole time and you gained 16 meters on him in 1 second. That's equivalent to an acceleration of 32 meter/second^2, which means you went from 80km/hr (or ~22 m/s) to 54 m/s (or 194 km/hr).

In conclusion, according to your story, you went from about 80 KMH (~50mph) to about 194 KMH (~120 mph) in one second and dusted a Red Line, I believe that if you do.

Verify calculation if you wish:

There are four variables which put together in an equation can describe this motion. These are Initial Velocity (u); Final Velocity (v), Acceleration (a), Distance Traveled (s) and Time elapsed (t). The equations which tell us the relationship between these variables are as given below.

v = u + at

v2 = u2 + 2as

s = ut + 1/2 a(t^2)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hawflake said:
How long did it take you to dream up this whole scenario? before you call my BS, I will call yours first. Those high school physics lessons actually come in handy!

Take the quoted part for example, let's do some math here, say it takes the 540i 1 sec to go from 4000 to 5000rpm, a very conservative estimate there considering how "fast" your car is and in that one sec, you put 3-4 car length on a RL. RL has a length of about 185 inches or 4.6 meters, so say about 3.5 length, which is 16 meters or so. Now let's just assume the RL was not accelerating at all (a stretch there since you were "racing") and driving at 80 km/hr the whole time and you gained 16 meters on him in 1 second. That's equivalent to an acceleration of 32 meter/second^2, which means you went from 80km/hr (or ~22 m/s) to 54 m/s (or 194 km/hr).

In conclusion, according to your story, you went from about 80 KMH (~50mph) to about 194 KMH (~120 mph) in one second and dusted a Red Line, I believe that if you do.

There are four variables which put together in an equation can describe this motion. These are Initial Velocity (u); Final Velocity (v), Acceleration (a), Distance Traveled (s) and Time elapsed (t). The equations which tell us the relationship between these variables are as given below.

v = u + at

v2 = u2 + 2as

s = ut + 1/2 a(t^2)
All of that math, while it looks correct (too lazy to read 100% of that long post) was a waste of time as he is just fucking with you guys like the rest of us.

Congrats on knowing high school calc 1 though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
04azuremach said:
All of that math, while it looks correct (too lazy to read 100% of that long post) was a waste of time as he is just fucking with you guys like the rest of us.

Congrats on knowing high school calc 1 though.
I know, I just want to tear it apart and throw it in his face next time he comes around with a ridiculous post like this.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Messing around or not, the lengths given, and time given are just estimates. Last I checked, when racing someone on the street I don't keep track of the time, and can only judge distance by the rear view mirror. I believe this story since BMW's are highway monsters, even the smaller ones are fast on the highway. The 540's V8 is best from a roll, but dogs a little from a stop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hawflake said:

v = u + at

v2 = u2 + 2as

s = ut + 1/2 a(t^2)

Maybe he mist a shift, oops you forgot that in the mathematical equation.
Your equation is useless in street racing, there are just to many variables to consider. :eek:

Also If you read the entire post after
I said:
“I respond to his request 4000Rpm he is by my side, 5000Rpm he is 3 or 4 car lengths behind me, 6000Rpm shift into 3rd he is 2 or 3 bus lengths behind me.”
I said:
“He must have shut her down knowing that he could not catch up to me.” :D

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Darkness95M3 said:
Your equation is useless in street racing, there are just to many variables to consider. :eek:

I said:
“I respond to his request 4000Rpm he is by my side, 5000Rpm he is 3 or 4 car lengths behind me, 6000Rpm shift into 3rd he is 2 or 3 bus lengths behind me.”
I said:
your post just avoided his point.

·
Registered
127 Posts
bikeluver43 said:
Messing around or not, the lengths given, and time given are just estimates. Last I checked, when racing someone on the street I don't keep track of the time, and can only judge distance by the rear view mirror. I believe this story since BMW's are highway monsters, even the smaller ones are fast on the highway. The 540's V8 is best from a roll, but dogs a little from a stop.

All I know is, Numbers Don't Lie. Whatever your point is, my point was that he was exaggerating, whether he over-stated his lead or under-stated his time, he was exaggerating.

Unless he shows that car that can really move from 50mph to 120mph in one second, I stand by my post, case closed.

I don't want to knock on BMW because I bought a 330ci not too long ago, love it. Maybe even more than the RL if that's imaginable here, but it just ticks me off when people troll around and are not even smart enough to make their lies SOMEWHAT believable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hawflake said:
I know, I just want to tear it apart and throw it in his face next time he comes around with a ridiculous post like this.
Really!
I guess you finished High School of road racing.
Like I always said there are just to many variables to consider when it comes to street racing and you must keep an open mind. Obviously you are new to Road Racing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
#1. This story doesn't sound made up as the 540 is a lot faster than the RL from a roll. #2. Of course it may be exagerated, but when was the last time you had a 100% accurate account of how much distance is between you and another car after a race?
#3. Does it hurt your ego that much to have someone post a race where the RL loses?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hawflake said:
All I know is, Numbers Don't Lie. Whatever your point is, my point was that he was exaggerating, whether he over-stated his lead or under-stated his time, he was exaggerating.

Unless he shows that car that can really move from 50mph to 120mph in one second, I stand by my post, case closed.

I don't want to knock on BMW because I bought a 330ci not too long ago, love it. Maybe even more than the RL if that's imaginable here, but it just ticks me off when people troll around and are not even smart enough to make their lies SOMEWHAT believable.
I don't know you and you don't know me. I dont understand why you are calling me a lier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bikeluver43 said:
#1. This story doesn't sound made up as the 540 is a lot faster than the RL from a roll. #2. Of course it may be exagerated, but when was the last time you had a 100% accurate account of how much distance is between you and another car after a race?
#3. Does it hurt your ego that much to have someone post a race where the RL loses?
Thank you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Darkness95M3 said:

I said:
I said:
Why don't you tell me about some of these variables then? I guess in your world, speed, time, and acceleration doesn't work the same way as mine.

I did consider the fact he "shut her down" by saying "Now let's just assume the RL was not accelerating at all", what else do you want, for him to stomp on the brakes on the highway so you can blow by him?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.