Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just got my 2005 Redline (first one) 2 1/2 weeks ago with 88 miles on it. I haven't been racing it or anything like that. I have been waiting for break in (old fashioned) and I am not used to the redline (I used to drive a sl2 crapper). Anyways, I'm now sitting at 480 miles so my confidence in the engine is set. I am driving down Portland, OR highway W99 when I come up on some funky Beamer. I'm not sure what kind and I didn't care; I was just cruising home from work. I get along side of them and start to pass when the retard tries to punch it and keep up. Normally I wouldn't care but this ass kept turning to his passenger as if saying something and then giving me that stupid "I'm too ignorant to know what you have in that thing" look. I said screw it and dropped it down to 3rd for a boost. Bet he was surprised when I was at least over 5 car lengths away in seconds. So once again I'm cruisin and I notice headlights getting brighter in my right mirror. These jerkoffs want more and are coming at me full throttle. I thought about you guys and said to myself "This is not going to happen on my shift". I let them get about 1 1/2 car lengths away and drop it 2 gears for my boost. They were done for. Those poor bastards sure taught me a lesson. My redline has more ballz than I thought...LMFAO. All in all I'm new, names Cain, and I love my redline.

P.S. I will have some better pictures of my bitchin ride soon.

·
Registered
808 Posts
good kill, fun aint it.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Werd! Welcome to owning the most enjoyable car for $20,000! Just wait till you learn how to completely wring it out! Make sure you hit some good twisties in it as well, the brakes and suspension are GREAT!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Gotta love killin those "big" german cars. I had what I believe was a MB C-Class (one of the weird shapped coupe ones that they make as station wagons too I believe) pull up on me yesterday. And as usual, they see what looks like an easy kill for them. He pulled the typical hot-head crap, would pull up next to me then would try and gun it. He did that a couple of times before I decided to just floor it. I whipped past him so fast that I missed my exit but figured I'd stay after "class" to teach him some more. I pulled into the next exit and surprisingly he pulled up behind me. I thought I'd be a smartass and roll down my window to ask him if he was driving a 4 cylinder (you know rub a little salt in the wound if he was driving a 6 or 8). He claimed he was driving a 4 cylinder Turboed car which I kinda looked at him like he was crazy. The light turned green and we went our separate ways.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Welcome. These cars are only gonna get more fun as the aftermarket picks up.

Good kill on the yuppies.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
TXRLU said:
Gotta love killin those "big" german cars. I had what I believe was a MB C-Class (one of the weird shapped coupe ones that they make as station wagons too I believe) pull up on me yesterday. And as usual, they see what looks like an easy kill for them. He pulled the typical hot-head crap, would pull up next to me then would try and gun it. He did that a couple of times before I decided to just floor it. I whipped past him so fast that I missed my exit but figured I'd stay after "class" to teach him some more. I pulled into the next exit and surprisingly he pulled up behind me. I thought I'd be a smartass and roll down my window to ask him if he was driving a 4 cylinder (you know rub a little salt in the wound if he was driving a 6 or 8). He claimed he was driving a 4 cylinder Turboed car which I kinda looked at him like he was crazy. The light turned green and we went our separate ways.

The C230 Kompressor is a Supercharged 4 banger. If it was turboed then that was aftermarket shit. The only Mercedes that come stock with turbo chargers are the higher dollar ones.

My wife drives one (C230K). They are decently quick but the RL will smoke 'em.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As long as the Bimmer doesn't have an M/// badge on, it should be meat. Although the new '06 330 is supposed to have more than 250HP, it could be a sub-6 machine.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Does Mercedes use a turbo in their cars? Even the SLs are supercharged...

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Sp00ner said:

Yes they do but they are the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ high end ones. My wife brought home a Mercedes magazine/catalog (she works for MB credit) and they do have a couple of turbo charged cars. The C class that TXRLU mentioned, I know for sure, does NOT come stock with one.

I'll see if I can find the mag and then I can tell you which models they were. I do remember that they weren't on anything sub $85K though.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Sp00ner said:
There are a couple high end Mercs that have twin turbo V-12s. All of the 600 series have them (AMG and non-AMG), meaning the E-class, S-class, SL-class, and CL-class. The non-AMGs have 493hp while the AMGs are a little over 600hp. Surprisingly, the SLR-Mclaren supercar has the supercharged V8.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
It really seems that alot of cars have superchargers instead of turbo chargers as you move up into mega horsepower ranges. There must be some reason for this, I know lots of cars use turbos too, but anything that I see going for MAX horsepower and top speeds, seem to use superchargers. I've seen the Saturn Saltflat runner, I know that was a turbo, but it just seems as you move up the line, superchargers start to replace turbos...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
jpapa said:
There are a couple high end Mercs that have twin turbo V-12s. All of the 600 series have them (AMG and non-AMG), meaning the E-class, S-class, SL-class, and CL-class. The non-AMGs have 493hp while the AMGs are a little over 600hp. Surprisingly, the SLR-Mclaren supercar has the supercharged V8.
Actually, all of the SL*** that I'm looking at are using superchargers, except for the SL65. The SLK55 AMG, SL55 AMG, CL55 AMG, CLS55 AMG, S55 AMG, E55 AMG, in fact almost all of them except the S65 AMG, CL65 AMG, and the SL65 AMG, use superchargers instead of turbos.... I didn't look at the regular ones, just the AMGs...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Power transfer is linear using superchargers...don't know if this is the answer, but it would seem that when you're cranking out that much power you don't need to get 'hit' with a sudden insane boost that would break the tires loose and make your already super fast car go into warp drive.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Actually, all of the SL*** that I'm looking at are using superchargers, except for the SL65. The SLK55 AMG, SL55 AMG, CL55 AMG, CLS55 AMG, S55 AMG, E55 AMG, in fact almost all of them except the S65 AMG, CL65 AMG, and the SL65 AMG, use superchargers instead of turbos.... I didn't look at the regular ones, just the AMGs...
That's what I meant about the E, S, CL, and SL classes being supercharged when they have the number 6 in them (600 for non-AMG, and 65 for AMG). Any series of those cars with the 500/55 (non-AMG/AMG) have supercharged V8s. So when you see a Merc on the road and have a number 6 after it's letter, you'll see the Twin-Turbo V12 badge on the side. When you see the number 55 or less, you'll see V-8 Kompressor.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Thank you jpapa.

I couldn't find the mag my wife brought home but I knew that the turbo Mercedes were the high end models.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
jpapa said:
That's what I meant about the E, S, CL, and SL classes being supercharged when they have the number 6 in them (600 for non-AMG, and 65 for AMG). Any series of those cars with the 500/55 (non-AMG/AMG) have supercharged V8s. So when you see a Merc on the road and have a number 6 after it's letter, you'll see the Twin-Turbo V12 badge on the side. When you see the number 55 or less, you'll see V-8 Kompressor.
Ahh, I understood you wrong! Wonder why they use it on just that one or two? Why not just stick to one method of forced induction within a car line of such limited sales? Is it the 'exotic' appeal of the turbo?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
BadCompany said:
Power transfer is linear using superchargers...don't know if this is the answer, but it would seem that when you're cranking out that much power you don't need to get 'hit' with a sudden insane boost that would break the tires loose and make your already super fast car go into warp drive.
I much prefer that type of power delivery, I don't feel like I'm being cheated when driving around town. Kinda like the Honda's and Vtec. I'd never be able to drive the things without feeling like I have to make it suffer to get full power.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hawflake said:
As long as the Bimmer doesn't have an M/// badge on, it should be meat. Although the new '06 330 is supposed to have more than 250HP, it could be a sub-6 machine.

Actually my friend has a 2002 330CI with the 6 speed sport package. The car is good for mid to low 14s stock and has a really good top end. No stock RL is going to smoke one. In a race it could go either way, but stock for stock its going to come down to the driver.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
unknownsuperhero said:
All Mercedes's numbe and letter combinations are too damn hard to decipher, damn, I thought BMW was tricky, then I cracked the code. But jesus.
All you gotta look out for with Mercedes is whether there's only 2 numbers following the letter on the left side of the trunk, and then the AMG badge on the right side of the trunk. Stay away from anything that has 500 and up though unless you want to get burned...Also, anything with the Kompressor (their supercharger) will be some decent competition. The new SLK320s (2 seater roadsters with the SLR front end) will probably smoke us.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts