Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else get this? When I let off the gas and push in the clutch, the RPM's will go down sometimes as low as about 300 and then jump back up to around 1500 without even hitting the gas. Ocasionally, it will go so low that the engine will stall (it's done this 3 times in the past month).

I took it to my dealer and they have no idea what is causing it, other than maybe the airbox removal. It didn't do this until one day, my K&N worked its way off on me and the revs were REALLY eratic. I got it home and put the filter back on and now it's doing this.

I know there was one or two other people on here who have posted about their cars doing this. Did any of you ever figure out why?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Mine was doing this lastnight, but only when the revs were falling from about 3500k. It would slowly and non linearly drop to about 2k, then when it dropped below 2k, it would rev up on its own about 200k, then drop to idle. I'm thinking that this is a good reason for me to go get the ECU upgrade, since the one dealer I went to wouldn't do it unless there was a reason to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, my co worker (Tbone) and I both had the problem. I took it in and they did the first computer update which fixed the problem and evened out the power. I now have the newest software update and it is even better.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
mine does it consistantly, i attribute it being so bad because of my "missing" airbox. it's died quite a bit after driving hard on the freeway and pushing in the clutch, i don't like that. hopefully a K&N intake will fix it though. i think it's because we have such a damn big air filter on their when we don't really need one with the airbox opened up

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Mine only did it before the Cam Sensor...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i'm going to get the recall done when i get an oil change, maybe that'll help it out

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BluStreak said:
Yes, my co worker (Tbone) and I both had the problem. I took it in and they did the first computer update which fixed the problem and evened out the power. I now have the newest software update and it is even better.

Could you get us the info on this "newest software update?" TSB number or something?

I thought I had the latest but if the one you got fixed this problem, then apparently I don't.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The latest one if for the O2 sensor nonsense. Did they do the Cam work at the same time as your reflash?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
the MAF is not perferctly aligned. start there make sure its 90 perfectly straight into the path and it will go away. Mine did it too a few times when i didnt mod it to stay put. thats all you need to do.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe that's it. I have my intake tube twisted a bit forward to keep the K&N from rubbing on the tranny. I'll put it back straight, since I'll be getting the K&N intake soon anyhow, and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
How I fixed it...

The same thing happened to me again just yesturday. I knew it was probably something to do with the MAF so I dissasembled my modded intake and found my Tenzo Racing filter had come off too. I shook it and blew through it well and put everything back together again and I havn't had a problem since, except my Check engine light came on driving back from school :(

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Sounds 'not quite fixed' to me still! ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yahh

Yahhhh maybe not. But at the time the bouncing stopped so i guess it was a temporary fix. Later on when my CES light came on i realized that the car pulling a lot harder, i think i may have been going into limp mode before. Is limp mode a serious concern or can i wade it out til i get my K&N intake. The K&N will hopefully straighten things out. I can only hope.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah, they did the c.p.s when they did the 2nd update, maybe that did it. The tech said not only did the seal leak, but it did not keep the sensor in the correct position. Maybe that is it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
goofyguy said:
the MAF is not perferctly aligned. start there make sure its 90 perfectly straight into the path and it will go away. Mine did it too a few times when i didnt mod it to stay put. thats all you need to do.
My intake kept the MAF and housing completely in stock location/orientation to avoid probs. w/the MAF. So, it shouldn't be that on mine. :confused: I will take a look tonight to make sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts