Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dumb question, I have a PSSSSSSSSSSSST sound coming from my engine when I WOT and redline at around 5800+ RPM's. Now this is now a gradually louder sounding noise like an air leak but I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago when I was revving next to my buddy in his RSX type S. I revved to about 5800 and let off and it sounded like I had a BOV. very loud and very noticable. MY buddy looked at me and asked if I had replaced my S/C with a turbo. I said no but was very confused :confused: so I didnt race him that day. ever since then driving or sitting at a light it makes that sound when I redline the engine and shift gears or just let off the gas.

P.S. I have no mods done to my car. I've owned it about a year and have 23K miles on it. I'm not concerned much because it has not hindered the performance of my car if anything I believe it is more resposive, but none the less if there is a problem please let me know. :D

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I'd bring that one into a dealership rather than get guesses from everyone and try to fix it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
This has also happened to me. Usually from a 1st to 2nd shift at higher rpms. I really started to notice it when my windows were down. People have asked me if I had a turbo on it too, so I knew I wasn't the only one hearing it. However, now that I have a CAI I only hear a whine and can't hear the sound anymore. BTW, I have 16.5K miles on it, it has done it since it was new. One more note, it didn't do it all the time, but was pretty consistent.

Tom

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I haven't heard this before but could this be the internal wastegate thingy on the s/c which limits the boost? Its getting rid of some boost somewhere meaning air as to go somewhere other than the engine. Just a thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my doesnt do it all the time just most of it too, but I have noticed my S/C is even whinning louder. F'n weird. Hope to get the CAI soon as well. 13k more miles, end of warranty and I am going off on mods, well what mods are out there that is.

·
Registered
89 Posts
bypass valve because of excess boost?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
No this sound is because you CANT shift! I used to do it all the time :p
get your foot off the gas bro and it should go away if not somethign is wrong!
But its sounds great against turbo cars!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
you're probably just hearing the bypass valve working. when you're revving and not moving, especially close to redline, the S/C has to do something with the air it's trying to pump. doubt it's a problem, unless you've been tinkering with stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts