Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who is in auto cross with their RL thought of getting upgraded brakes such as Brembo of Baer? My friend and I were just joking around of what I could do to my car if I had unlimited money (if only) and I got to thinking and starting searching. Brembo makes brakes for the SAAB 9-3, any know if those would fit on our car?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, unlimited budget - you could just pay brembo 20k for some 8 piston brakes.. custom built for the redline :eek:

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, well ya, but I am thinking more along the lines of reality as I am thinking of building up this car.

·
Registered
416 Posts
XeroState said:
Has anyone who is in auto cross with their RL thought of getting upgraded brakes such as Brembo of Baer? My friend and I were just joking around of what I could do to my car if I had unlimited money (if only) and I got to thinking and starting searching. Brembo makes brakes for the SAAB 9-3, any know if those would fit on our car?
Considering how good our brakes are, they should be the last thing we worry about, at least in terms of performance.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can always go better. Plus if they said "Brembo" on them, it just makes the car look that much better. Again, this is just an idea. Mainly, I just want to know if the SAAB 9-3 brakes will fit and if they will clear our wheels.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I'm not sure that the Saab brakes would fit, I would assume not, the Chassis and suspension SHOULD be different enough.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing that they won't fit, but hey, you never know and you can hope.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I heard that SSBC (Stainless Steel Brake Company) was making parts for the Ion/Cobalt, but couldn't find any on the sites. As far as calipers go, alot of the caliper mounts are nearly universal, I was looking at some different choices out there, and it seems like contacting Wildwood or some of those companies directly, about the fitting of their GM Universal caliper kits, would be the right way to go. I know that Summit has a good selection, and will help you make SURE if it fits or not.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I am thinking about some braided stainless brake lines. That should improve braking feel and response....right?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
To be honest with you I think the brakes are just fine where they are. Now, and LSD, on the other hand, would be a totally different story. Is it just me or was exiting a turn with the RL much like driving a boat? (ya know, nothing but spin and steering)

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, the LSD is a much more needed upgrade for auto crossing, but upgraded brakes would just look cool. Even more so if you put 5 spoke wheels on them to showcase them.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
On a road course, not AutoX, brakes and handling are the number one attributes... I would assume that the LSD would be a greater help in AutoX due to the constant low speeds and hard accel...

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course, I agree 100% on the LSD. But where I live, we have no AutoX to really speak of (just a drag strip), I not only want my car to perform better, but have some added eye catching features...which the LSD you can't see (well worth it when you actually use it) where brakes you can. Again, I am just trying to find out if there are any upgrades that anyone knows of.

·
Registered
351 Posts
MrCleanY0 said:
To be honest with you I think the brakes are just fine where they are. Now, and LSD, on the other hand, would be a totally different story. Is it just me or was exiting a turn with the RL much like driving a boat? (ya know, nothing but spin and steering)
When I did my last Auto x. The handling seem to be fine, most of my trouble came when I came out of the corner. I could not get the power down to the ground. It does push into the corners but braking early seem to help that. I began to apply gas 1/2 to 3/4 thur the turn. But then I would feather it because of the spinning.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I think our cars desperately need a LSD. Excessive wheel spin, cant accelerate hard coming out of a corner.

having a quiafe LSD will help our braking as well. LSD first, big brake kit later.

I dont even think we need the big brake kit. Our brakes are pretty good except for the cheap ass rotors they give us. I dont think most people will need that much brakes unless they are seeing some serious track time,need some serious bite, or repeatedly love to slam on the brakes over and over and over in a row. Our brakes from the factory are really good to begin with! I've done repeated slamming of the brakes and never brake faded. These brakes I must say are superb.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like the look of the big brakes. But really what is going to shave the most time off? LSD, Suspension or Brakes? I think we all know the answer to that.
I'm going to Add a LSD and Change the suspension before I touch the brakes.
Except painting them or powder coasting them.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
SaturnI0Nredline said:
I like the look of the big brakes. But really what is going to shave the most time off? LSD, Suspension or Brakes? I think we all know the answer to that.
I'm going to Add a LSD and Change the suspension before I touch the brakes.
Except painting them or powder coasting them.
If you're doing AutoX, the LSD is most certainly going to help the most....

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the looks of the big brake kits as well. I would be happy if some brake company would just make replacements for our rotors (damn GM). Since there are no autox within like an 8hr drive of me, the LSD seems almost pointless for me. Those who actually autox, get the LSD.....GET IT!. Anyways, this is just my view.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts