Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well as you know im planning on purchasing a 04 RL in the next week or so.

some of you have quite a few miles on it so im wondering what problems youve had so far with the repairs required, and at what miles?

im reading lots about the cam position sensor being replaced numberios times and shifter knobs comming off.

im just really wondering if this car is worth 30k (cdn) since ill need this car to last me for the next 10 years.

just kinda a shakey feeling purchasing something like this car...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have had 0 problems with my RL......cant really tell how long it will last yet.....if it was built anything like my old SC2 you could possibly get 10 years out of it......my SC2 was 4 1/2 years old and had 108,000 miles with only maintenance work done to it......it was still going strong but I had the Red Line itch after test driving one

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
only problem i have is with the trunk lid hitting the bumper and scratching it to all hell. bringing it in tues to get the tsb done and possibly repaint bumper if they cant "buff them out" which they will not be able to do they are through the paint to the plastic. other than that not a single problem

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The cam position sensor was a recall, I'm not sure that alot of people are having it done several times or anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright, as you can understand with the way cars are these days, its increasingly hard to find something that isnt a lemon.

anyone else?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
mine has been in shop a few times

cam postion recall and recalibration
coil packs died all of a sudden. Car just dies and thats it have to tow to shop.
Crank shaft position sensor died so car limped to dealership.
02 sensor died limped to dealership.

but every time I got rental immediatly and they fixed promptly.

·
Banned
572 Posts
goofyguy said:
mine has been in shop a few times

cam postion recall and recalibration
coil packs died all of a sudden. Car just dies and thats it have to tow to shop.
Crank shaft position sensor died so car limped to dealership.
02 sensor died limped to dealership.

but every time I got rental immediatly and they fixed promptly.
my ion just died on meand dosent start and i was wondering what are the symptoms u got?

·
Registered
451 Posts
No Problems Here...

Buying a new car is a big committment! I, too, was a little wary when entering the process, but speaking with the dealership and other owners, as well as the desire to spoil myself ;), helped to allay my concerns.

I would imagine that the responses to your question are slightly skewed as people with build quality issues are more likely to reply. As for me, I haven't experienced any yet (@3200km) and am not expecting to. As a side note, I'm actually getting better about average fuel economy (10.1 hwy & city), which kind of surprised me since I'm not "babying" the throttle by any means. ;)

Hope this helps and that your neck is back to normal! :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Icon said:
As a side note, I'm actually getting better than advertised fuel economy (10.3 hwy & city), which kind of surprised me since I'm not "babying" the throttle by any means. ;)
Did a double-take there for a minute, until I realized that's km per liter probably, and not miles per gallon. Heh.

Xian
not yet a RL owner, but test-driving some more tonight!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Apologies

xian said:
Did a double-take there for a minute, until I realized that's km per liter probably, and not miles per gallon. Heh.
Sorry :eek: ! Although the intended recipient, Morpheus, resides in Canada, it was thoughtless of me not to include the Imperial conversions; 29.1 Miles / Gallon for both City and Highway driving. I'm curious as to what the consumption would be if I didn't gun the engine quite so much and reduced my highway speed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't know if it was "thoughtless". :)

I mean, how often do the Americans on the board include km/l figures? Heh.

It's been a few years since I've been up to Canada (even though I'm pretty close...did a Lake Superior circle tour)...what is the speed limit up there, anyway? I remember it being slightly faster than most US highways, but that could be a mistaken impression.

And I don't know if it matters much what the non-aggressive driving would be like...I mean, are most people on here going to ever drive that way anyway? :)

Xian

·
Registered
451 Posts
Highway Speeds

I've never been to Minnesota, but I did live near Detroit (Sterling Heights [I understand that a sinkhole :eek: developed there after I left]) for a while. Hopefully the roads in Minnesota are kept up a little better than Michigan (Sorry, MI guys!).

The 400 series highways (our vesion of the Interstate) have a posted speed limit of 100km/hr, roughly 62 mph. However, Toronto area traffic, when not congested, typically varies from 110 :( -140 :D km/h (68-87mph). My understanding is that the O.P.P. (Ontario Provincial Police) have their speed traps set up to detect 117km/h (72.7mph) and above. As for non-aggressive driving, I agree with you, other than I should probably conserve the tire shredding for more opportune moments (not 10 ft. rush-hour start and stop traffic.) ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, just thought id give an update..... this month offically sucks, between being rear ended, and having to deal with my insurance company (oh the joy there) i also just recently got laid off becuase its been slow at work lately.

so the RL is no indefinitly on hold untill i find work, or if business picks up where i was at.

we'll see what happens in the month of june, it cannot get any worse then this month.

·
Registered
451 Posts
OUCH! :eek: That's horrible. I'm sorry to hear about your employment situation. Hopefully, you'll be back at work soon and we'll all be jealous of you and your incredibly cheap '04 or '06 with the competition package. I'm sure things will work out for you! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i was talking with goofy, and aparent the "cheap" 04 i was going to get was a complete rip off, at 26.7k (igloo dollars) so maybe its all ment to work out this way and some sort of real deal will come across my path. in the mean time, i get to play the game of working the insurance company over.

doesent say much when the car that hit me had 12k in damage, but i got $800.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh no you mis understand, i DROVE away with only some minor scratches on the outside, after resetting the fuel cut off switch. he was towd away with 1/2 a front end pushed in and down.

so i had 800$ worth in damange (dented the shit out of the metal bumper under the skin) where he had a tent hood, screwed rad, headlights, markers, bumper, A/C system and god knows what i couldnt see, (could read the vtec on his valve cover)

says soemthing about the build quality 20yrs ago for my car

·
Registered
767 Posts
Only real problem I have had is with the shifter. The knob came off twice and they ended up replacing the entire shifter assembley.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Icon said:
Sorry :eek: ! Although the intended recipient, Morpheus, resides in Canada, it was thoughtless of me not to include the Imperial conversions; 29.1 Miles / Gallon for both City and Highway driving. I'm curious as to what the consumption would be if I didn't gun the engine quite so much and reduced my highway speed.
It would probably suck :D . My Red Line would get better gas mileage going 75-100 then @ 35-65.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts