Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2004 Ion Redline on Friday. When I test drove it, I had no issues. However, now I've been noticing a burning smell that I thought was because I'm a new to manual transmission driving.

A friend of mine, a experience manual driving friend, drove the car today and noticed the same smell. He also noticed that the RPMs will increase while the speed does not, when he tried to speed up quickly.

His assessment is the clutch is going bad. Does this sound accurate? Should I start shopping for a new clutch? The current clutch is the original, is this about the time that the clutches start to fail?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
The key is the revs go up and no speed increase. That is clutch going unless wheels are spinning on ice...

·
Registered
980 Posts
roasting clutch mmm lol

·
Registered
398 Posts
The key is the revs go up and no speed increase. That is clutch going unless wheels are spinning on ice...

when wheels spin on ice, speed goes up too (on the speedo) #iliveinmichigan

go 15-20mph, put her in third and punch it, if it just boggs out and you gain speed slowly your clutch is probs ok, if it slips ull know it.

that's the advice i was given on here when i got my redline, which happens to be my first stick as well

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Driving in to work today, it felt like it wasn't even changing gears. I was shifting, but nothing was happening. He kept revving up, but not speeding up.

Also, it's not very icy here in Michigan, at least not where I live.

Thanks for the link to the clutch kit.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Duh! I have no idea what I was thinking. Late and was tired. Of course on ice speed and revs both go up if wheels spin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts