Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok This is Harder to describe than it is to do! The Cam cover is really Not that hard!

1st) You need a T-30 6 Point Star for the Center Cover Bolts & the Fuel rail Cover! Which can Be seen Below in Gold!

2nd)Next To The Firewall Middle of Cover is a Black tube Bracket that the Vacuum Line Runs In to & the Fuel Line is Clipped on it, There are #2 14mm Nuts holding it on, They must be Loosened to get to the Cam Cover Bolt back there! See pic below For Location under white Line on the Fuel Line!
(For some Reason GM Doesnt show this Set-up For removal & Install on the Pages Below!)
Note: You DO NOT Have to disconnect The Fuel line! Just Unclip it from the Bracket & Hold out of the way! You Do have to Disconnect the Pcv Line!

GM Removal Procedure!
There are #14 10mm Bolts, 10 around the outside & 4 inside the Center by the Plugs!

ReInstall:
Care should be taken Sliding it back in Not to Scratch any painting or Polishing you may have done!:shrug03:
Note: Not shown in Reinstall You should get some Tack spray to spray the groves for the Gasket's to Insure they stay in Place during install!
(Special Note: The Bolts & Gaskets are Reuseable, Unless Gaskets or Bolts are Damaged!)
Heres Gm ReInstall Procedure! Ignore Last Pic on Page!

Polishing is a Whole nother How-TO!:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
when i reinstall the cover it will be nice and polished just like yours right? Haha.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
damn that motor looks nice

can you polish my cam cover and plug cover?

how much?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fullthrottle said:
damn that motor looks nice

can you polish my cam cover and plug cover?

how much?
Pm Me we will talk about it! icecruncher should have his in about a week depending on Shipping!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Got it yesterday. Will try to install in next week or two and post pics.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
god your engine looks great, i wanna cut cocaine on it! Nice write up btw!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
icecruncher said:
Got it yesterday. Will try to install in next week or two and post pics.
Cool >>> What ya think? Shinny enough!:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Where do you live? I live in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
nice cam cover,but it retains heat more than an unpolished one.
That is a very debatable subject.

Polishing reduces the surface area, thus reducing the amount of transferred heat. However, aluminum is primarily limited in its ability to transfer heat, due to the natural oxidization layer. A polished surface, due to the lower surface area, will have less oxidization, therefore more heat transfer.
Furthermore, polishing causes the object in question to have a lower thickness, as compared to raw or cast. A thinner object would promote heat transfer.

The alternatives to polishing are no better;
- Paint is more of an insulator, causing far less heat transfer.
- Anodizing will also cause the surface to transfer less heat.

But, in the end, this is a bullshit debate, because the results are far to minuscule to matter... and the fact that it's a valve cover makes this even more of a useless debate. The engine is water cooled... which is not only a controlled heat system, but it accounts for 90% of the cooling of the engine, making radiant cooling of no concern.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
so the fuel line doesnt need to be disconnected? just unclipped and moved? that is the only part i need to question b4 i pop mine off tonight.

oh and maybe .. do i just lay a microfibre cloth on top to keep it clean?

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Man I was hoping to see that yellow cobalt again. Damn pics don't work :(

What's new guys?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts