Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Camshaft Position Sensor Housing Seal Recall

I got the recall in the mail and dropped the car off at the shop. The letter with the recall says it should take 90 minutes for the service. Needless to say I am in a rental right now because they do not know what to do? How can Saturn issue a recall and the techs at the dealership not know how to fix it?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had zero issues with my service shop (Saturn of Glenview, IL). I did not expect the job to take 90 minutes, however, and since it was warranty work I got a free rental for overnight. There is a lot of work to dissemble things to the point where you can replace that seal, plus the mechanic would have to wait for the engine to cool down before he could start working safely... that alone can take an hour.

Who is your dealer? You may want to contact Customer Affairs office at GM if you are unhappy... Saturn folks tend to get super responsive whenever GM receives a customer's complaint.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
DeYanko said:
I got the recall in the mail and dropped the car off at the shop. The letter with the recall says it should take 90 minutes for the service. Needless to say I am in a rental right now because they do not know what to do? How can Saturn issue a recall and the techs at the dealership not know how to fix it?

Is this a recall on the sensor that's DIFFERENT than the Cam Shaft Sensor housing? The housing was the recall sent out a few weeks ago. Is this one on top of the Housing? Just want to make sure.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
TXRLU said:
Is this a recall on the sensor that's DIFFERENT than the Cam Shaft Sensor housing? The housing was the recall sent out a few weeks ago. Is this one on top of the Housing? Just want to make sure.
Same thing. The seal around the sensor is bad, that lets the sensor move at times. From what I understand.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Recall was "camshaft position sensor housing seal."

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
i dropped mine off last night so they can get to it this morning. got my car back by 11 AM. I got the recall done and an ECU update (car runs like a champ now)

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
hell I didnt even ask for it I brought it by for something completly differnt and I call to see if the cars ready and they are like we are doing a few recall issues. I was like Shit Damn Git-R-Done

·
Registered
258 Posts
goofyguy said:
hell I didnt even ask for it I brought it by for something completly differnt and I call to see if the cars ready and they are like we are doing a few recall issues. I was like Shit Damn Git-R-Done
It taint so much 'bout Git-er-done as GIT-ER-RIGHT!!!! Me, I'm gonna wait a spell til dey shur nuff figure out wat 'zactly deys fixin'. You boys go rite on ahead and lemme know how she turns out for y'all. :D :D :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
tha sikest said:
hey guys, if you remove the air box will it void the warranty
They didn't mention it when I took ours in. It should only void the warranty on the MAF if anything.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
tha sikest said:
i've had warranty work done and they had no problem with the airbox being gone...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
tha sikest said:
I don't think most places will care, but it just depends on who you talk to, and what mood they're in.

·
Registered
343 Posts
they improperly did my recall on the seal, and when i got into my car it would barely start after 15 sec cranks and 5 attempts.

so i called the shop and asked to get an appointment to get the mistake fixed, and they set me up for a repair 8 days later when they could squeeze me in.

and they couldnt figure it out, and told me my cars timing was off, so i had a rental for two days.

i told them 3 times on the phone that some one messed up the calibration of my cam pos sensor when they changed the seal, and finally they adjusted it and temporarly fixed it for me.

so now it is working

·
Registered
127 Posts
Has everyone got a recall notice?

I haven't got a recall notice for the Camshaft sensor yet. I have a 04, so it should be included, right? Maybe I should just call my dealer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hawflake said:
I haven't got a recall notice for the Camshaft sensor yet. I have a 04, so it should be included, right? Maybe I should just call my dealer.
I would call, have your VIN available... they can plug that in and verify your need.

(Of course, they should know your VIN from their records, but I always try to be prepared for any contingency.)
:p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hawflake said:
I haven't gotten mine either. Is it the individual dealers responsibility to mail you, or Saturn Corp.?

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I called the dealer on mine, they (twice) told me that there were no campaigns open on my 04 RL. On Saturday, after taking 5 minutes trying to start my car, I called the dealer and told them I was dropping my car off at about 1pm and call me when it starts like a new car should. At 3:30pm they were calling me saying that it'll be ready at 4:30 for pick-up.

To make a long story short, if you don't see anything or the dealer tells you there are no open campaigns on your car, it's possible that the problem was repaired prior to you buying the car, which was the case with mine. Only problem was, the previous dealer that my car was transferred from miss-aligned the sensor so the car was hard to start.

BTW, starts like it should , now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts