Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
CompCams does... but there seems to be some issues with them at this point...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
BE CAREFUL WITH THESE COMP WILL TELL YOU USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! THESE ARE NOT SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR OUR MOTOR THEY WERE RELEASED BEFORE OUR MOTOR WAS EVEN OUT, i got very in depth with comp on this one and all they could say was use at your own risk

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I have them but yet to install. They are made for the LSJ motor the desing of the motor was made a few years ago they just havent released it. They need a few special tools to install them on the car.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
And keep in mind...
Regular ECOTEC camsets will not work on the LSJ
So make sure if you order something it is for the LSJ specifically (or possibly the B207R used in the Saab 9-3 but since they are turbo may have higher exhaust lift/duration)
Technically it's just the exhaust cam that's different as on the LSJ both cams are the same length but on the "reg" Ecotec the exhaust cam is shorter.

On a supercharged engine you want a cam with lots of lift but with much less valve overlap than a "hot" naturally aspirated cam. I've been asking for COMPcams "boosted" ECOTEC cam specs but they have yet to reply.

I have a guy that will grind GM blanks for us to ANY spec we provide, but the GM blanks are expensive- $200 each!

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
goofyguy said:
I have them but yet to install. They are made for the LSJ motor the desing of the motor was made a few years ago they just havent released it. They need a few special tools to install them on the car.
Goofy
If you want the tools you need, I will send them to you so you can do your cams. It only takes about 1/2 hr!! :D
WOT

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
thats not that bad depending on hie charge to grind them let me know i may be in for that

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
im just going to have saturn do it when I get the Psi kit I will do it all at once in their bay. Tell me they void warrantys for aftermarket my ass. They help me do almost everything I put on these cars.

ahh son of a bitch upon closer inspection they are differnt lengths. This is not going to work is it. FUdge.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Crap
Too bad
See on the LSJ you can use 2 regular "intake" blanks and have them custom ground
I've been messing around with various lifts and grinds in some cam software I have
But it might be better to copy a commercial cam (with a dyno chart) setup to make sure we get what we want. (Daily driver 400WHP @ 18psi boost and 25mpg) :D

Were these supposed to be a "supercharger" grind? It should have come with a spec sheet for degreeing it during installation, can you post the specs??
WOT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys! I registered here because I have an Ecotec and I'm thinking of getting a IRL down the road as I'm gonna need a 4 door, since I have a Grand AM coupe right now. I wanna get another Ecotec but as much as I love my Vortec SC, I want a factory SC Ecotec this time. Anyway, about camshafts....

I have camshafts in my Ecotec and I'll tell ya, do not get camshafts unless you are prepared to do some tuning. The cams cause the engine to lose vaccum, I have only 12in of vaccum at idle. Therefore the ECU reads that as load and dumps fuel and makes you run rich and also pulls timing.
Its killing my SC power so I'm taking them out Tuesday and going back to stock. I've had this verified by RSM and a friend of mine who is GM tech. He tried putting W41 cams in a regular QUAD HO and had the same problem, he took them out at ran better times.

I hope that helps guys. :D

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well, a good computer geek to crack the code on the ECM could fix that problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
True, I think a guy with a NA Ecotec and aftermarket cams worked it out with a S-AFC and was pretty success full, I don't know how he got around the vaccum thing tho.

·
Registered
629 Posts
-can anyone get spec on the regular cam and then think of somthing to do to the blank cams , sombody help me think of somthing ? put this together .
got to have a/f/c for this modd.

cams = 200.00 each *2 = 400.00+tax
cam gears 323.00 both est
machine shop ? do you
hp ? iam thinkin 25 ,mabey 30 ?
thats some doe but yull be the only one wit it .................test car?

·
Registered
710 Posts
25-30 horsepower with cams? I don't think so..not at the top end at least. It's the gaine throughout the torque curve that make people buy them. I think i'm right, am i? Thats what i've learned all my life.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
the comp cams as they come will not work in the redline period. this has been said so many times here. they dont fit properly

·
Registered
224 Posts
anyone know the stock specs on the redline cams if so can someone tell me
the techs at crower cams said they can custom grind a cam to fit our applications but im sure your going to dip that wallet pretty good for a set

1 - 20 of 55 Posts