Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
I've finished doing some work on my RL and want to get it back on the road but the current tires wont pass NYS inspection.
my buddy at work has some 225/55z17 wheels he'll give me for free but i need to know if these will fit on the stock rims.
any info would help. Thank you

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
hey guys,
I've finished doing some work on my RL and want to get it back on the road but the current tires wont pass NYS inspection.
my buddy at work has some 225/55z17 wheels he'll give me for free but i need to know if these will fit on the stock rims.
any info would help. Thank you
Will be tight

·
Registered
51 Posts
The the 55 sidewall will be 1.9" taller than stock. It may look odd and your speedometer will be off.

It may... clear. But not likely if your lowered.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The the 55 sidewall will be 1.9" taller than stock. It may look odd and your speedometer will be off.

It may... clear. But not likely if your lowered.
I'm not sure if my math is correct but i'm coming up with 1.06".

215/45r17 is stock (215mm X 45% = 96.75mm)
225/55r17 is the size he's considering (225mm X 55% = 123.75)

Difference is 27mm, which when divided by 25.4mm/inch = 1.06"

What did I overlook?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Here's the conversion site I used when trying to match my new wheels and tires:
https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

It's good, even has offset if you want to calculate that. Personally with cars like ours I don't like the aspect ratio to be greater than 45 as the "low-profile" tire look looks better with our cars. Once you get 50+ your tire starts to look chubby and like a regular passenger car tire - no longer sporty.

If you want to run a 55 aspect ratio, you'll have to lower your tread width to maintain the overall height of the tire and keep your speedometer and odometer in check. But then your tread is thinner and that will decrease cornering performance.

:cowsmile:

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
I'm not sure if my math is correct but i'm coming up with 1.06".

215/45r17 is stock (215mm X 45% = 96.75mm)
225/55r17 is the size he's considering (225mm X 55% = 123.75)

Difference is 27mm, which when divided by 25.4mm/inch = 1.06"

What did I overlook?
It's 2.12" actually. Remember, two sidewalls to make up the total height of the tire.

You'll likely rub either on the front strut or on a fender while turning and/or going over bumps.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
you should be fine, I am running 235/45/17, and I was on progress lowering springs I only rubbed at full lock.

You're speed o will be off at least 5mph....(i.e speed o will show 50 but your doing 55)

·
Registered
73 Posts
For reference: I run 235/45/17 on stock struts with no issues. I see no evidence of rubbing full lock or otherwise.

Also I feel like we should have a thread with Wheel Size/Tire Size/Ride Height.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
You guys realize that 235/45/17 is only .7" taller than 215/45/17, right?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Yes chicken
Ive also ran 20's on cobalt, will it rub? Yes, will it be an extremly aggressive fit? Yes. Will it work? Yes. And for the record, thats on NT05's and they are honestly oversized...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts