Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 ION Redline which I love.
I have a decent commute to and from work each day so my mileage is getting up there (108,000) but for the most part the car runs great.

Today I get to a freeway onramp and as I change from 1st to 2nd gear there's a big clunk. (Just light acceleration, nothing heavy)
I go to change to third and the gear stick feels dead. It's completely loose between 1st and 2nd and stuck on the left side, I can't move it over to the right.

I wasn't far from home and was able to baby the car home in 2nd gear.
Can anyone suggest what this might be and ballpark costs for repair?
My company just laid off our entire office so I can't afford a massive repair bill right now. I'm praying it's something simple.....

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.
Thank-you,
Matt.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sounds to me like it was just the cable clamp, tug on your 2 vents to remove the radio bezel then pull up on the cup holder/shift boot and remove the middle console, if you see the yellow ribbed part of the Cable it popped out. Money wise it's a free fix just requires some patience and about 2 hours of your time for a first timer D: you can text me at 559-433-7410 for more insight sort of in a rush. I'm not the most knowledgable so if it is. Transmission problem you'll need further advise since I know nothing about it D:

Sent from my gay Autoguide iPad app

·
Boost get some.
3,260 Posts
You could always get someone to change the gears while you watch the shift cables under the hood to see if they move. You could have broken the shift cable bracket under the hood also. Just do like he said and check the whole cable linkage. If anything grab the shifter cable under the hood and see if you can take it out of gear.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
Sounds to me like it was just the cable clamp, tug on your 2 vents to remove the radio bezel then pull up on the cup holder/shift boot and remove the middle console, if you see the yellow ribbed part of the Cable it popped out. Money wise it's a free fix just requires some patience and about 2 hours of your time for a first timer D: you can text me at 559-433-7410 for more insight sort of in a rush. I'm not the most knowledgable so if it is. Transmission problem you'll need further advise since I know nothing about it D:

Sent from my gay Autoguide iPad app
by "tug" he means yank like hell. you will swear its going to break.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Could be the roll pin in/at the transmission. There should be a how-to on fixing that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts