Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Can't shift into 1st (intermittant)

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  golden chicken 
#1 ·
I searched the board and couldn't find an answer to this.

About 1 in 10 shifts into 1st gear from a dead stop, the gear shift lever refuses to budge—no amount of force can make it go. I have to lift up off the clutch, push it back down, and then it'll let me shift. All other gears shift just fine.

This is really annoying at stoplights, I'm sure I must be pissing off people behind me as the light goes green and I'm sitting there cursing the tranny doing the clutch pedal dance.

Is this something that'd be $$$$$$ to fix (I have no interest in doing it myself, I'd take it in) and I should just live with it, or is it relatively simple?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Just shift into 2nd or 4th quick then to 1st, your desired gear. I hit 4th a lot before it will pop into reverse when cold, this is with the clutch in of course.

#11 ·
I apologize for the concern you’re experiencing with your Ion. Since I’m not a technician, I would at least suggest speaking with your dealership to see what options you available. I hope they’re able to help. Would you please keep me updated on your situation?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

#12 ·
mine does this, but it was alot worse when my roll pin was on its way out. then it finally broke. it seems to be the norm, but before you get stranded, take a look at the shift linkage under the fusebox under the hood. visually inspect the roll pin and make sure its not stretched.

#14 ·
I don't run into this much but I just go to the next nearest gear then back (2nd then back to 1st or 4th then back to reverse). I just figured it was the linkage binding & I was getting it lined up.

What is routine maintenance on our tranny & do you mean stuff the dealer handles when you take it in or something I should be doing/checking?

#17 ·
When going to reverse you can feel that the gears are not lined up and the teeth are just hitting the high spots and not "meshing". Hitting 4th or second will usually move the stationary gear a **** hair, just enough to get your desired gear. Anyone who has had manual trannies has experianced this going into reverse at some point.

#23 · (Edited)
use the right fluid at the right level or it won't act right.

also, to the OP, don't sit at a light holding the clutch pedal down, especially if you've already left the gear lever in neutral. it stresses the throw out bearing a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.