Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my check engine light came on last night so i brought it into work with me to get it checked out. it was not only on but blinking it must of went into limp mode because there was a huge loss of power. i wouldn't be pissed if it had come on when i was beating on it but i was just driving normal no racing or anything. its been to the service department 4 times now its just frustrating i only have 5300 miles on it. i'll let you guys know what it was when i get it back.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
intake installed?

did you check everything before u went in?

hopefully you didn't bring it in with the pipes disconnected...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
sounds like a misfire. Mine has done it before. Our cars instead when it senses a mis fire it stops using that cylinder all together till you restart the car. So you had a 3 banger. I have been down to 2 once.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the bottom intake pipe is the first thing i checked because it has come off before but it was still on there. i've had the intake on for about 300 miles now so i don't think its that. hopefully in a couple of hours i'll know what caused the light to come on

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
goofyguy said:
sounds like a misfire. Mine has done it before. Our cars instead when it senses a mis fire it stops using that cylinder all together till you restart the car. So you had a 3 banger. I have been down to 2 once.
not to sound like a moron, but what would cause a misfire?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
- bad 02 sensor reading will lean it out and misfire
- intake mod when the map isnt perfectly aligned itll misfire
- shifting at the wrong time to a wrong gear will cause a misfire..

the list goes on and on.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
goofyguy said:
- bad 02 sensor reading will lean it out and misfire
- intake mod when the map isnt perfectly aligned itll misfire
- shifting at the wrong time to a wrong gear will cause a misfire..

the list goes on and on.
good to know, i guess i haven't had any of the above problems to cause a misfire.

let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well from what the tech told me the computer was reading a lean condition at first he thought it could be the intake but when i told him that it had been on for like 300 miles he said he wasn't sure and just cleared the code. while its there he going to check the wiring on the intercooler pump

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
It sure does, a touchy one at that... move it a little... BAM...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sp00ner said:
It sure does, a touchy one at that... move it a little... BAM...
Ahh... I see. My brother had an IS300 back in the day that did the same thing. That's why I was asking if it had a MAF. If you didn't have the sensor attached just right you'd get a lean code. And another thing to think about is if you have a K&N-style filter, the oil from it can get on the MAF causing it to freak out as well. A little electronic parts cleaner would fix it right up.

Can't wait until I can get some 05 RL FSM's so I can figure out what you guys are talking about. :)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
'05 RL FSMs????

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
funny you mentioned that they actually ordered me a new maf senser just in case the check engine light comes back on

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
LowSL2 said:
Ion Factory Service Manuals. I was about to call and see how much.
There was a few posts on here, some people just got some. I feel like they were pretty expensive, like $100+?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.