Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A thorough detail job starts with a thorough car wash. Here is a video that presents some car wash basics:

One of the easiest things a car owner can do to protect his or her investment, is a weekly car wash at home using high quality products.

Here, I'll be using Mothers® California Gold® Car Wash — now keep the dish soap in the kitchen, it will remove your wax.

You're also going to need a bucket, a wash mitt and some soft microfiber or terry cloth drying towels.

It's always a good idea to use a spray nozzle to conserve water. Try not to wash the car in the hot sun. Wash the wheels and tires first using a quality wheel and tire cleaner.

With a clean bucket of suds and the wash mitt ready, give the car a quick spray from top to bottom to loosen light soil.

Then with the wash mitt dipped into the suds, start washing from the top of the vehicle down, because the lower portions of the car are usually the dirtiest.

Don't let any water dry on the surface as you wash—spray surplus water onto the vehicle after you attend to every couple of body panels to avoid water spotting.

Once complete, rinse the entire vehicle again to ensure that all soap has been removed.

Dry the vehicle as soon as you finish washing it, and be sure to use soft microfiber or cotton towels to avoid scratching.

When drying, start with the glass, because a dry towel works best there.

When the exterior is complete, open the doors and the trunk, and wipe the jambs and crevices clean and dry.

About Mothers® California Gold® Car Wash
We created Car Wash with a careful balance of powerful cleaning and exacting care. You can wash your car thoroughly while protecting your wax. It's not just about bubbles— various dishwashing liquids and "soaps" can harm your wax. Our Car Wash is strong enough to wash away dirt, road film, bugs, bird droppings, airborne pollutants and other grime, without removing wax or dulling the paint. Mothers® Car Wash is pH balanced, super-sudsy and also resists water spotting.

About Mothers®
Mothers® is known worldwide for its premium-grade polishes, waxes and cleaners and offers a broad array of finish care products under its California Gold®, FX, Reflections®, PowerBall®, Marine and Professional lines. Go to http://www.mothers.com for information on all of these products, along with a host of car care tips in the online Mothers® Detail Guide at http://www.detailguide.com and the Wax Forum at http://www.waxforum.com.

·
Registered
667 Posts
it takes me a while to wash my car too but the quality that comes from it is second to none and worth the time

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I can wash my car in less than 20 minutes. When it's 100 outside at 6 pm you learn to move super fast so you can get the water off before it evaporates. LOL! Now polishing and detailing can take me up to two full days.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I can wash my car in less than 20 minutes. When it's 100 outside at 6 pm you learn to move super fast so you can get the water off before it evaporates. LOL! Now polishing and detailing can take me up to two full days.
lol i feel ur pain man... i just was my car then pull it in the garage and dry it off then wax it...

·
Registered
667 Posts
even here in nc i gotta wash it later on in the day in the shade to avoid water spots, just so many minerals in the water because the water for my house come from the well. back in ny i never had water spots i guess because of the chlorine and other things they put in the water

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Water here in LV is crap. I have a utility sink that's plumbed to the soft water system in the house. I might look in to getting a hose long enough to run to the laundry room and wash my car from that faucet. No water spots then!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Water here in LV is crap. I have a utility sink that's plumbed to the soft water system in the house. I might look in to getting a hose long enough to run to the laundry room and wash my car from that faucet. No water spots then!
Yes, the water in Las Vegas is especially troublesome, so this may be a good idea assuming the sink water is of a better quality. Most plumbing departments have an adapter that will adapt a hose fitting to certain faucet nozzles by replacing the aerator -- you'll have to get one to match the faucet threads (i.e., the aerator threads).

You can also get a standalone water filter system that you can hook up when you wash the vehicle. You can either rig up something from the home center, or buy one online.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
The utility sink in my house is connected to the soft water system for the home. It has a utility style faucet as well so it's pre-threaded for a hose. So I am set!

·
F_ck Bates
5,376 Posts
does mothers make a wash and wax product spefically for black cars. like turtle wax "black box" product?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does mothers make a wash and wax product spefically for black cars. like turtle wax "black box" product?

We have our California Gold Ultimate Wax System, which is a Pre-Wax Cleaner, Sealer & Glaze, and Pure Carnauba Wax. We recommend this for dark colors, including black, that need a little TLC.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I think the trick is having a clean cloth (applicator)

- often switch clean ones

keep the cloth clean, add wax, change cloth and that's what it takes

cool surface helps too if in the heat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts