Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you go out today only to find out your car wouldn't even try to crank over? Something similar to this?

Some customers may comment that the vehicle will not start intermittently. This comment is referred to as "no crank, no start with complete power."

Additional customer comments may be as follows:

• A clicking noise may be noticed when the key is first turned to the START position, but no noise is heard after the initial start attempt.

• The "Security" light may flash immediately after trying to start the vehicle along with the message "Service Vehicle" in the Driver Information Center.

• The vehicle may not start for at least 10 minutes after the first attempt to start the vehicle. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) B2960 and/or B3033 may be set in history in the body control module (BCM).

Cause
When the key is rotated from the RUN to the START position there is a voltage signal sent to the BCM that goes through the PASSLOCK™ resistor in the ignition switch. An inconsistent contact inside the ignition switch between the printed circuit board and the contact finger may cause a no start condition.

Correction
Replace the ignition switch. Refer to Ignition and Start Switch Replacement in SI.

Important: The 30-Minute Learn Procedure must be performed after the ignition switch has been replaced. Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in SI.

Short answer: your ignition switch is bad. You can get a new one from Saturn/Chevy for about $30.

Here's the replacement instructions:
SaturnFans Forums - View Single Post - Changing ION ignition switch

·
Registered
861 Posts
• The vehicle may not start for at least 10 minutes after the first attempt to start the vehicle. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) B2960 and/or B3033 may be set in history in the body control module (BCM).

I plugged up to the OBDII port today after that happened and I didn't get any codes for this?

This problem has happened to me before, but only when it was very cold outside and today it was 50 degrees so its progressively getting worse. I'm bringing it to Saturn this weekend to get fixed and I thought it would've been a good idea to videotape it for people to see first hand what exactly happens since it's been happening to a lot of RLF members lately. This should be made in a How-to or a sticky so people can find it easily. Nice job. I was pissed when I recorded that I was leaving work for lunch GRRRR!!! Sat there twenty minutes.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've PMed a few people about making it a sticky, it just hasn't happened yet.

As far as the codes go, that's just something I copy/pasted out of someone else's post on one of the various threads. Sounded like the official GM bulletin so I figured I would include it.

·
BECAUSE RACECAR
7,440 Posts
Hope mines not next. Its pretty damn cold here and its take a few secs for the car to start, it at least attempts, doesnt sounds like that tho.

·
DSLSJA Godfather
12,303 Posts
No offense Paul, this is old. there are many posts and i believe threads about it.

I replaced mine for the same reason about a year ago. Cheap and quick fix actually. Homie, just do it. It isnt a huge pain to replace and much less of a headache than dealing with the car not starting

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
Mine used to do the exact same thing when it was new :huh: wouldn't crank and get the passlock icon light with the service vehicle message. I took it to the dealer under warranty, and in my case it was the "passlock sensor". Never had that issue again, but, as soon as my warranty ran out, the lock cylinder itself wore out to where it wouldn't turn at all. The cylinder never was really smooth, and I often had to wiggle the key around to get it to turn. Replaced the cylinder (it wasn't cheap, around $60-70 + a $20 re-code fee, my cost with shop discount) and it's smooth as butter now, better than it ever was even when the car was new!:)

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
The GM Part number for the ignition switch is 10392423.

Would this problem as cause the Radio to shut off and make the click noise randomly while driving?

My car started acting up and did not start this morning after sitting for 3 straight days. But my battery got completely discharged while it was parked and I am not sure if I have given it a fair chance to recharge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.