Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing the ignition switch and attempting the pass-lock relearn I finally got the car to crank, it cranked and cranked and cranked but would never fire. After I released the key to stop the cranking starter it gave me the pass-lock error on next attempt to start. I tried starting 10mins later and hit pass-lock all over again. Would cycle between pass-lock/cranking but no fire/pass-lock for the next 3 cycles in a row aka over the next hour.

I've got plenty of gas in the tank and had fired up fine (after the 10min pass-lock problem in the morning) that day.

More details if necessary are below:

I'd been having trouble with cold morning starts (below 45 degrees F) so I bought and replaced the ignition switch. I'd seen several write ups but used this one due to pictures and detail explanations.
MoonTaj Electronics - Saturn Ion Passlock Fix

I followed the steps up until they start trying to repair the old one, I used a new AC Delco part.

I tried doing the pass-lock relearn with turn key set off pass-lock leave in run position come back 10 mins later turn to off for 5 secs and repeat 3 times. It took 4 but it finally tried to crank as described in first paragraph.

I'm going back over to where the car is located after I finish this post and am going to try some more then possibly re-install old switch and see if it starts with it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
he's just angry that eric called him on his bs and he can't back up his tuning greatness claims.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So when I went back to parents and tried it, she fired right up. With every key I own I had no trouble starting it.

Only explanation I can offer is my father attempted the relearn in the morning. I'm not sure which of the 3 variations he used (key in run, key in off, let rest for 5 sec, let rest for 10sec in off....etc) but it seems to have worked. Fired yesterday and today, true test will be when it gets cold again.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
:soapbox:

I put the proper procedure in the how-to section. You have to actually try to start tthe car in between each 10 minute wait period.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ignition switch changed, still no start...sometimes

Ok, so I'm on ignition switch no. 5...I've replaced it and only had to do the relearn three out of the five times. I've done the relearn correctly. My starter is fine, my grounds are good, I have a brand new battery, my BCM has been cleared of all fault codes and reset. This continues to be a problem and the switch doesn't seem to be a fix but rather a band-aid of sorts. Is there anyone out there who has actually solved this issue. Please don't tell me to replace my ignition switch again. My next step is to install a push button start so I know for a fact I'm getting juice straight to the starter. The thing that makes this even more interesting is that the passlock light is not lighting up or indicating that it is locking the car up like typical ignition switch symptoms, and I can coast start the car even when it won't start with the key. I know all of us here have had issues similar to this, but the only fix I hear of is the ignition switch, which at this point I do not feel is fixing anything at all considering I replaced it yesterday, and even after a cold night, it started roughly 5 times throughout the day, until I tried to come back home from K-mart. Thoughts on the push button start??? Has anyone attempted this yet??? Is there a real fix out there or is everyone else not experiencing this anymore???

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I had this same issue, turned out to be the ignition relay. You probably have a wire that's become worn through and is grounding to circuits it's not supposed to, or maybe that pesky ignition relay.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
My issue turned out to be a broken ground cable even though the connection was good, tight, and clean. A new ground cable from engine block to motor mount solved it.

Also make sure your clutch switch is working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2004 Saturn Ion3 and it won't start I replaced the ignition switch, put on a new starter and a new battery and it still won't start; I didn't do the relearn; as when the new ignition switch was put in the pass-lock light just comes on for about 5 seconds and goes off, so should I still try and do a relearn with the ignition switch? and If so what is the procedure since the pass-lock is not flashing?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 Saturn Ion3 and it won't start I replaced the ignition switch, put on a new starter and a new battery and it still won't start; I didn't do the relearn; as when the new ignition switch was put in the pass-lock light just comes on for about 5 seconds and goes off, so should I still try and do a relearn with the ignition switch? and If so what is the procedure since the pass-lock is not flashing?
Hey, I know your post is 3 years old, but did you ever figure your issue out? I'm having the same exact issue, replaced everything... still not crank no start, relearn doesn't work, and still the pass-lock just comes on for a few seconds then goes out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts