Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Car won't start, PWR STR

68K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  CrashGordon 
#1 · (Edited)
Car won't start, always shows PWR STR on the error window, and the fuel gauge doesn't go up from empty.

Fuses are fine, and can't check for any codes since I don't have a scanner. I'm completely baffled.

#2 ·
Dainslaif said:
Car won't start, always shows PWR STR on the error window, and the fuel gauge doesn't go up from empty.

Fuses are fine, and can't check for any codes since I don't have a scanner. I'm completely baffled.

You have a grounding issue somewhere. Check your battery ground in your trunk and in the front of the car , make sure the connection is tightend and you should be good from there.

#3 ·
you not gonna throw codes that a regular obd2 reader can read..you gonna be throwing "U" codes ..there ignition codes..mostly lost communcation...i have the same thing minus the wont start...my power steering shuts off and gauges go crazy and wont read anything and flashes powersteering...9 times to the dealer and still no fix "have fun

#4 ·
I randomly get the PWR STR code when I start the car. Dealer said there wasn;t anything wrong and he didn;t know why it was doing it.

Reactions: javierjoshua1981
#5 ·
Check your battery, it sounds like it has a low charge or low state of health. May be a power or grounding issue as well.

The PWR STR message I get every now and again w/ no DTC's. However... some cars get that message and code which may need a new steering column/motor. So if you get that message pretty consistantly and/or have the power steering cut out, have it checked out!

#6 ·
All those things are controlled by the PCM, try unpluggin it/making sure its plugged in right. Push down on the underhood fuse block. Its a shotty connection somewhere, will be virtually impossible to find, you are just going to have to get lucky somewhere.

#7 · (Edited)
Italianjoe1 said:
All those things are controlled by the PCM, try unpluggin it/making sure its plugged in right. Push down on the underhood fuse block. Its a shotty connection somewhere, will be virtually impossible to find, you are just going to have to get lucky somewhere.
That's sort of what I figured, but I was worried that I might have fried it.

I guess I'll be spending a good amount of time under the hood playing with wiring tomorrow. I wonder if I messed something up when I extended the MAF wiring. (the plug wouldn't reach the MAF on the Typhoon, so I added a length of wire to each line so it'd reach). Aside from moving the fusebox ground, that's all I did today electrically, but the wires matched up, so I doubt that's it. Will hopefully borrow my neighbor's battery booster as well to cover all my bases.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, everyone.

#28 ·
I have a 2007 Saturn with a 2.2L Ecotec engine. I did try and jump my car using the front end posts after reinstalling my main engine ground strap and getting a no crank no start issue, which was not there before I drained my heating & cooling system and replaced the engine temperature sensor. I called myself being thorough by removing the recovery tank to clean before refilling with coolant, which led to me disconnect the engine ground and moving my PCM & ECM units out the way. As I attempted to connect the last charging cable to the other vehicle it sparked. So I didn't complete the jump. But 3/4 cables were connected to battery posts.

Now, I have a no crank issue, along with a new power steering error message. There appears to be power to the vehicle. The instrument panel lights up with all indicators at the on and run positions, but absolutely no crank happens, and there are no sounds coming from under the hood when I attempt to start the car. I tried listening for clicks, but nothing. I'm worried I may have blown my starter. or damaged my computer somehow. Any thoughts?

#9 · (Edited)
Nope, have never jumped the car since I bought it. I'm pretty sure I checked all the double fuses and found no breaks, but will check them again.

Looking at the fuse box pic, it labels the post opposite the POS as EPS. I will investigate.

Edit: After waking up, I put the key in and turned it to On. Something clicked a bunch of times in rapid succession. Not normal but idk what it is.

#10 · (Edited)
Well, it's starting now, and I'm not positive what fixed but I'll list what I did anyways.

Reseated 60 amp EPS (power steering) fuse, unplugged MAF sensor, wiggled some of the wires going to/from fuse block. Car started. Plugged in MAF sensor, car started.

Going to go for a drive and make sure everything's okay.

Edit: Runs great. When in doubt, pull and reseat jumpers.

#11 ·
Old threat.... sorry to bring this back.. Need info

Well today i stopped in and went to check the progress of my car... It's at Sherwood Chev... Since my car needs an alignment im guessing the PWR STR is caused by the alignment out??? Can someone verify this for me... I got warrenty on the car... Just well want to know :)

I started it.. then let it fun alittle gave it a bit of fuel and stalled out.... cranked it over while feeding fuel...... finally got it going.. she leveled out.. took it for a 2 mile " run " and came back everything was fine... Minus the alignment ...

Thought it was my intake from the accident but it's fine.... Maybe just alot of moisture in the intake due to snow/melting/freezing?? My dad was behind me and water was coming out of the exhaust.........

Short story.. i basicly got run off the road... went into the ditch... broke the passenger front cv joint, control arm, suspenion side skirt, etc.... and axle took a beating...

#12 ·
Jeremy... I got your message.

Well today i stopped in and went to check the progress of my car... It's at Sherwood Chev... Since my car needs an alignment im guessing the PWR STR is caused by the alignment out??? Can someone verify this for me... I got warrenty on the car... Just well want to know :)
The alignment shouldn't cause a PWR STR message.

Is there a check engine light?
Did the steering respond strange?

I started it.. then let it fun alittle gave it a bit of fuel and stalled out.... cranked it over while feeding fuel...... finally got it going.. she leveled out.. took it for a 2 mile " run " and came back everything was fine... Minus the alignment ...
Probably just due to the car having to adjust to the weather. Mine used to stumble when I'd park it for a few weeks in the fall.

However, was there a check engine light after it stalled out?
If not, I wouldn't worry.

#13 ·
thanks, was getting worried... sorry for calling ya 3 times.. LOL

Yeah i went started it.... no problem.... no code, no check light... gave it a tap... rev maybe up too 1600 dropped and died....

had to pump and crank to fire over... light came on.. reved it alittle just to keep it going.... " bad idea i know.... cold engine" light shut off... went for a slow drive to get warmed up after then took her out for a spring... got full power, no cel light, everythings ok...

She's going into the shop Wed 9 am... oil change etc... and alignment.. told sherwood NOT to worry about the body stuff, just need it roadready by fri.. I can come back when the pass skirts done..

#22 ·
I have the exact same problem in my ion. All the lights work, radio works, etc but when I trun my key to start it I get nothing like a dead battery but I know for a fact that the battery is not the problem. This is also not the first time this has done this. If I let it sit for like a half hour or so some times it will start. I want to take it out back and shoot it but seeing how it's my only car I kinda need it so if anyone could help that would be great. Also when this happens I get that pwr str MSG and my gas gauge does not move.

#23 ·
read through the thread and checked everything they did?
im sure you know the ignition is under recall, and select years have the power steering issue.

#27 ·
That doesn't just happen out of nowhere. It's usually caused by a bad jump start or the bcm eating it. His description is exactly what happens when the ignition switch goes bad. It will not start occasionally, and if you wait long enough and try again the car will start. Pass lock "situations" don't come and go like this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#29 ·
I have no Idea about your car but there was isssues with the ignition modules with Saturn ions.

Did you get the recalls on Power steering and Ignition ? I had the ion 2 for 10 years

...current ion = 2004 Saturn ion redline w/GM stage 2...

#34 ·
This is late, But yesterday, I went to go through an intersection and my Ion (2004 LF1) shutsoff, says PWR STR, so I check the fuse box. Replaced the 10 amp for the ECM (blowed) and replaced it with the 10 amp from the horn. Saved me from a bad day.
Hope it helps somone out there who's ended up here like me. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I just bought my Ion in showroom condition from a single owner and it has 160k miles but no rust, all factory very clean and has given me 0 issues other than a rotten flex pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.