Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had this on for a while now and haven't seen any other redlines with one on yet so I though I'd post a pic to see what you guys think ;)

It's not the best picture, but I was at my buds house and he is good at posting on forums and doing the whole picture thing.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Is that just the regular ion carbon fiber hood? That'd be nice if we could get some vents in it :)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
looks pretty good. How good does it line up with the fenders? A friend of mine got a carbon fiber hood for his prelude and the it doesnt match up with the fenders too well. He ended up getting the hood free from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
sinister are you the guy who makes custom boxes on ebay!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D If so bro im ready to pay and get my custom one made, but im goin in the route of 2 l7 kickers now thoe bro :eek:

Nice ride I love it im waiting for turbo style hood them im getting that!

email me if you are!!!!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
This may be an uneducated question. Hell I know it is or I wouldn't ask. But, can you paint a carbon fiberhood? Or is there a finish on them that prevents this?

If so Cool, if not why?

Thanks
dp

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
yes you can paint a carbon fiber hood...but why would you want to?

anyway, it looks real good, id love to know how they'd look on black as well.

where did u get it? sms? if not, how much did you pay?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To make A long story short I was at my dealer for a oil change and the parts dude called me over and showed me this hood that they had cut the latch assy. off and said that they tried to adapt A ION hood onto a RL but the latch is different because the bumper is open on a ion so you can reach the release but on a RL the hood pops up more. Anyway he said if you can fix it its yours FREEEBEE as you can tell a CF hood will fit in your trunk with your seats down and since I do sheetmetal work for a living I made a new latch. If anyone wants to find out how just let me know and I will post pics. :cool:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i want to c some pics i think a carbon fiber hood would look great on my blue RL

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I don't suppose you have any idea what the weight difference is?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I am willing to bet that it a good 5lb diff

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Sinister redlines said:
To make A long story short I was at my dealer for a oil change and the parts dude called me over and showed me this hood that they had cut the latch assy. off and said that they tried to adapt A ION hood onto a RL but the latch is different because the bumper is open on a ion so you can reach the release but on a RL the hood pops up more. Anyway he said if you can fix it its yours FREEEBEE as you can tell a CF hood will fit in your trunk with your seats down and since I do sheetmetal work for a living I made a new latch. If anyone wants to find out how just let me know and I will post pics. :cool:

Why doesn't shit like this ever happen to me???? :confused: :(

·
Registered
810 Posts
diff looks sweet. i found it kind of funny you work with sheet metal, and you drive a saturn. lol

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sinister redlines, I like the stance of your car. What springs did you use?

Oh, hood looks nice also :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sinister:
I just purchased a CF hood and am having the problem with the hood not latching, could you let me know exactly how you got it to work and if possible post some pics?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
evlrdlne said:
Sinister:
I just purchased a CF hood and am having the problem with the hood not latching, could you let me know exactly how you got it to work and if possible post some pics?
I had to make a totally new hoop for the new hood and it is really easy to make. Start with a peice of 3 1/2" wide 3/16" thick o.s. strap steel 6" long and cut out a square that will fit inbetween the hoop for access to the back for fastners then bend a hoop that matches your stock hood it will be longer than the hoop on the cf hood drill holes to locate and plug weld back side then drill four holes for fastening to the cf hood. now this next step is where there is no turning back cut the hoop off the cf hood line up the new plate and drill for fastening be sure to use large thick fender washers on the inside of the hood so that the bolts will not pull through and ill try to get pics posted this entire mod is required because the rl does not have an opening in the front to access the safety catch unlike the reg ion therefore the rl hood is made to pop up higher in order to access it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts