Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Carbon Fibre Hood- Group Buy?

13K views 111 replies 29 participants last post by  mgm1979 
#1 · (Edited)
Redliners
I am currently negotiating with a manufacturer/vendor for a great looking carbon fibre hood for the RL. I went and checked them out last week and I can say they are an extremely attractive weave and finish. Plus they will be available in a number of colors besides black -blue, green, orange, silver and red (I will post color swatches of actual hoods later this week)
If we can get enough interest the black one should be about $599 shipped (colored versions will likely be about $75-100 more) OR EVEN LESS IF WE END UP ORDERING 15 or more hoods!

Since the "fit" will be very important to us, they have agreed to send/front me out a "blue" CF hood to put on my own ION to take camera shots of the fit and the "look".(I seen the hoods, but was in a rental car so havnt seen one actually ON an ION yet) If I like it as much as I think I will, then I will just keep it at whatever price we end up getting,(ie I'm not doing anything for profit) again depending on how many people want them.
The regular retail price for the black is $649 and the colored hoods $749.

I can tell you this is one of the nicest pieces of carbon fibre I have ever seen with ZERO misweaves and a great 3D look. PLUS these hoods have been designed to utilize the stock hinge/latch mechanisms- but can be "pinned" for a "lift-off" style if that's your desire.

So I'm not looking for any $$ or even a firm commitment to this point- just putting out the feelers as to whether there is really any interest.
Please post your level of interest here as I will be sharing the link with the vendor.

Thanks
Regards
WopOnTour

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Well IMO the Invader style is too "ricey" for my tastes- the CF look and weight savings is all that matters to me personally.
These hoods apparently do have a couple "style creases" added but that's about it.
Since the hoods I seen WERE NOT for the ION, until I get one actually ON my car to check it out, I cant say for sure what the styling will be like.
WOT

PS> Here's some additional pics of the colored hoods (not for ION) I am to be getting soem actual digital closeups of each color very soon but these will at least give you guys an idea.
WOT

Attachments

#5 ·
i'd be interested, but it depends on when we'd need to front the cash. the pic you posted looks very nice too.

i'm not sure what the "invader style" hoods are, but it would be nice to have some sort of vent to allow air to be pulled out of the engine bay towards the rear. though i won't buy anthing "ricey"

OEM would work for me, as i'm sure we couldn't agree on anything other than that, at least enough to make it happen.

#6 ·
ok, i looked, and invader style doesn't flow with the car at all if you ask me, so count me out on that. i'm thinking something like this would look better, but toned down a bit. it'd just be nice to have some extra airflow with a couple vents like that, as long as it LOOKS GOOD with the stock lines of the car as i'll never get a body kit

#7 ·
I personally like the invader style hood, but I don't know how much I woudl like on this car. I had the VIS CF Invader on my previous car, a 99 turbo eclpise. Honestly, it looked much better than the OEM one IMO and it definately helped with gettin hot air out of that engine bay. The one vita just linked too is very interesting, to say the least. You don't need to pay attention to the paint, cuz that COULD be considered ricey :rolleyes: but I liked the look of the invader on other cars that had better flowing lines to match that hood. Here's mine

#9 · (Edited)
i like the invader and turbo style... also the evo look i dont get into that Need for speed crap lol!

But when a company makes a c/f hood they can add lines to keep it flowing just depends on how good the company really is here is and example look at this civic the added oem lines to it to keep it flowing but wtill having th invader stlye!

I love this vent it looks so awesome! :p

#10 ·
EXACTLY what I have been talkin about i'd love to get my hands on one of these bad boys. The Blue CF looks HOT and I think the invader would look AWESOME on our cars. You guys just pushed me to get a second job lol.

#12 ·
hood pins are always recc on carbon fiber hoods, doesnt matter who makes em, i hate them and i will not use them either but they are recc, i have the vis pics of the new redline hoods but i am not allowed to post them yet. these have to be some REALLY NICE carbon hoods for 600$ or is that shipped??? the vis ones will be 350-450+sh from what i am told. also are the edges of these rounded of or are the just cut straight off like the cheap apc hoods??? i agree the blue looks nice but may be a little to dark of a blue for the car. i also think a stock would look better on this car. the vis ones should be shipping very soon. not to jack the thread just an option for people, and i have been told they are doing the invader style as well. il keep all posted.

#14 · (Edited)
IMO the best hood out is the one that was on the rally ion. It not ricey like a invader style but has kinda the evo look to it. It also has vents to get rid of all that heat that gets trapped under our hoods. If there was a way to get that hood for the redline I'd definetly be in on that.

Attachments

#15 ·
I might be interested. I've been thinking about CF for weight savings so that's my 1st question; what's the weight diff? 2nd question: might they consider a CF trunk lid? Color doesn't matter to me because I'd be painting it body color but for the design, I'd prefer OEM. If there's an aesthetic way to direct air over the blower, I might opt for that design. As for the "Invader" style hood, it works on some cars but ours is a little too clean for something so pronounced.

#16 ·
so that what my headlights are gonna look like??? wow i like those :D i found someone to get these for me but they are $$$$$$ they are a copy of the gm ones somehow they got thier hands on them and copied them, they emailed me a pic of that car but was to small to really see them, cool

oh ya i like that hood ill send that pic over to my buddy at vis see what he says

#17 ·
they also copied that body kit but again $$$$$$$ im trying to find out how they got thier hands on it to copy it or if they just made them from scratch but they look identical.

#20 ·
be patient young jedi soon very soon i spoke to them they are on the way over from overseas now just takes some time through customs, ill keep you updated.

#25 ·
scottietohottie402 said:
here is where i ordered my cf trunk from http://www.cnfxperformance.com, it cost 489.00 plus shipping 4 weeks to recieve , my front cf hood can from saturnmotorsports
What do you think of the quality of the trunk lid? Do you know the weight savings? Are there any components from the factory lid that have to be moved to the CF lid (besides spoiler)?

#26 ·
Hyperion said:
What do you think of the quality of the trunk lid? Do you know the weight savings? Are there any components from the factory lid that have to be moved to the CF lid (besides spoiler)?
yes, we need pics, and a review of satisfaction ;)

they should definitely be added to the manufacturers list, as i know others were looking for the C/F decklid...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.