Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen a dyno sheet or read about any REAL proven gains to getting a Cat Back Exhaust for the RL. I know theres a million ways to argue how having less or too much back pressure is gonna hinder or improve the performance. I just like the way it sounds now, not too loud or obnoxious.....but If there is a REAL gain, not like 5 or 6 HP then I would prob consider.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. It would be nice to see one though. The biggest thing that people are going with, is the fact that A.) It's can't hurt, since it's forced induction, and B.) turbo/supercharged engines always make more power with more exhaust.

I'd like to see some charts myself, I argued with some people for hours over larger vs. smaller exhausts. The stuff I read afterwards though really leads me to think that it should be a BIG help AFTER you get more mods. Maybe even before. I would go from the header back though, it seems like the effect is going to be less if you keep the same sized cat and piping up front.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
this will add more power bigger is always better on forced. The biggest gains will be when you change the header and cams. The rest will show you the big exhaust will follow. The stock system will flow nicely sure but has its downfalls. What I wanna see is 2 redlines with header and cams one with stock and one with 3 inch exhaust no cat. I bet there would be almost a 20 hp differnce.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Well, I wont have cams but I will have a weapon-r intake and weapon-r header soon. I will dyno my car after it's all done. I never dynoed my car stock so I wont have a comparison with stock and modded. Shortly after I will be getting either a dual exhaust 2.5" system or a single exhaust 2.5" non resonated w/ dynomax ultraflo SS mufflers and I will dyno agian. Too bad, the closest dyno place that I know of is 45minutes away. Heatsoaked when I get there :rolleyes:

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Well, they're going to do a baseline run, and then one with the individual parts installed, right? I would hope so. If they're going to do those two parts, I would expect you'll get a dyno that shows: Stock, with Intake, with Header, and with Intake and Header. I would imagine... but, you should at LEAST get a stock baseline...

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Well, that's what I WOULD LOVE to do. But money and time do not permit me to do so. 2 runs at this place is 60bucks. My days off (tues and weds) consist of gf time, studying for computer certifications, running errands, yada yada. I dont have time unless I can find a cheap place near me to do it.

So I would have to do 3 trips.

3 runs = $180
Gas to get there is probably going to be a tank, 91 octane 2.90/gal in California. Roughly about 40bucks.

So $220 to get 3 runs. I do not have the cash for that right now. My computer cert test cost alot unforunately. I just paid $300 for 1 test and my next up coming test will be a hundred to a couple hundred a test. :( It's a grip, but it needs to be done. I wish I had cash, but don't.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I thought they were using your car as a tester?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
yes they are, but i dont think they are going to dyno. I hope they would, but I didnt hear them mention anything about that. It would be great if they did, but I dont know. I'm willing to dyno the car myself, but not 3 times right now.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
dL_RL said:
yes they are, but i dont think they are going to dyno. I hope they would, but I didnt hear them mention anything about that. It would be great if they did, but I dont know. I'm willing to dyno the car myself, but not 3 times right now.
If they're not dynoing your car, how do they know anything works worth a crap? They have to... otherwise, don't even bother with it... think about it for a minute.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I know I did think about it, I will ask. Damn Spooner I just posted like a minute ago. How did you respond so fast? You have access to a computer at work?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I'm a software developer... I sit in front of one all day. I have the forums up on of of my multiple monitors at almost all times!

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
COOL! Who are you a software developer for? I work as a compter repair man. I have been doing this for about 3 years! Spooner we have something in common!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
dL_RL said:
COOL! Who are you a software developer for? I work as a compter repair man. I have been doing this for about 3 years! Spooner we have something in common!
Place called Peryam & Kroll... we have some offices all over, the main one is here in Chicago, but there are decent sized ones in Plano Tx, Santa Ana Ca, and White Plains NY.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts