Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removed my Cat off my car today and ordered the o2 sensor dummy to stop the check engine light but now i have a problem its sounds like a mad civic between 2000 and 3000 rpms that is the only down fall if anyone hase and idea how to make it more quiet or has a deeper tone anything please the ups on it is theirs a noticible difference in power thats the only thing keeping me happy.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
my Fiance's resonator rusted off the end and the pipe snapped in 2 pieces on Thursday...(its a 93 civic EX 5spd) i went to her work strapped it up so she can drive home. Cut off the resonator today and put a straight pipe. No difference in sound mainly cause its a stock muffler. But yea your car is louder because of removing the CAT you can try to get a longer resonator to make it a deeper tone.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
god, i've ran with no cat before on a turbocharged vehicle, jesus was it annoying and people would give me dirty looks when i was next to them at a stop because my car would rattle everything within a 20feet radius. i sounded like a ported carborated fb rx7 or a harley. I dont know how your handling the noise/rattle level. i had mine done on a turbo car, I bet on our car's it's 2-3 times louder. That would drive me nuts. I remember there was so much vibration in my car it loosened the wiring on my CD player and speakers. That was a pain in the ass having to readjust the wiring every 2-3 weeks. No cat = not worth it for me. It was just for that extra 1-2 pounds of boost and 10-15horses, but not anymore.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
hell, that's nothing dL, I had a buddy a while back who had a 98 civic hatchback that was turbo'd and pushing 318 to the wheels and he took his ENTIRE exhaust off. He just has it coming out of the waste-gate and out of the front bumper right in front of the passenger side wheel. Pretty mean sounding little car.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I've got a good one. I had a '69 Mustang with a big block with headers straight into glass packs. It had a C6 (3-speed), 4.10 rear, & very little insulation. I used to have to drive about 30 mins. on the highway to get to my college. That thing was loud as hell & sounded bad-ass but I'm sure I have hearing damage from it screaming down the road at 70+ MPH so long & often. :)

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exhuast fixed

well went to the local muffler show now the guy and ended up changing the resonator to a more queiter one and put a 40-series flowmast now it sounds alomost stock but has a slight hum to it now at idle very happy picked up almost 2 pds of boost

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a Gutted cat on my LT1 Formula, with SLP loudmouth, meaning no muffler just an 8 inch long resonater, thats it. Its one of the loudest cars in my town. sounds like a god damn dragster.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Silv04RL said:
I have a Gutted cat on my LT1 Formula, with SLP loudmouth, meaning no muffler just an 8 inch long resonater, thats it. Its one of the loudest cars in my town. sounds like a god damn dragster.
I had the loudmouth on my 97 SS and I hated it until I put on Hooker long tubes and made my own y-pipe (there were none available at that time), then I could not get enough of the sound.

I just ordered the header flange from GM and a bunch of parts from Burns Stainless for my long tube header, however I am going to leave the cat in because of how loud supercharged cars can be.

I like the thought of horsepower with all the emitions in place. Green power :rolleyes:

·
Registered
595 Posts
My car had 6 cats and i went from that 2.25 inch 6 catted factory h-pipe to an offroad 2.5 x pipe..LOUD. I was afraid to drive it in fear of getting pulled over for a few days then i got used to it. Now i want louder!! LOL next year i a gonna go with the slp 2 catted x pipe with the Loudmouth resonator cat back.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Removal of catalytic converters

The federal Clean Air Act [203 (a) (3) (A) and (B)] does
not allow anyone to replace a catalytic converter with
“replacement pipes”. Improper removal or installation of
a catalytic converter by any individual could result in stiff
fines and/or imprisonment.

The only time when removal of a catalytic converter is
allowed is when the vehicle is being shipped to a country
that does not sell unleaded gasoline. The vehicle owner
must have a letter from the EPA authorizing the catalytic
converter’s removal. Vehicles sent to Canada or Mexico
are not eligible for this exemption.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

All i have to say....

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Xau said:
Removal of catalytic converters

The federal Clean Air Act [203 (a) (3) (A) and (B)] does
not allow anyone to replace a catalytic converter with
“replacement pipes”. Improper removal or installation of
a catalytic converter by any individual could result in stiff
fines and/or imprisonment.

The only time when removal of a catalytic converter is
allowed is when the vehicle is being shipped to a country
that does not sell unleaded gasoline. The vehicle owner
must have a letter from the EPA authorizing the catalytic
converter’s removal. Vehicles sent to Canada or Mexico
are not eligible for this exemption.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

All i have to say....

HOLY COW! IT'S ILLEGAL??? Thanks for letting us in on that one....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sp00ner said:
HOLY COW! IT'S ILLEGAL??? Thanks for letting us in on that one....

HAHAHAHAHA my thoughts exactly. U cant expect to come to a performance car site and never have that question arise. I hope they kill off our e check here!!!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
mbhmustang98 said:
HAHAHAHAHA my thoughts exactly. U cant expect to come to a performance car site and never have that question arise. I hope they kill off our e check here!!!
I have no problems with emissions laws, some places need them. It's a good idea to have all over really, I'm all for the environment, more than most people. I've been to the Grand Canyon when the smog from LA was so bad that you couldn't see across it. I just think that was very snobbish, or something, I know that's ironic, I can be a total ass, but man. Everyone knows the fight between emissions and car guys, it's been around for 30 years. I just wish that they had more options for people that drive their cars once a month, or once a weekend. I'm able to register my Vette under the showcar/antique vehicle status, which aviods emissions tests. I have no cats and a dual exhaust. Which is illegal too for fucks sake.... I drive about 100 miles from April to November, yet I have to have $1600 in emissions equipment for it to be legal. I can almost guarantee that I put out less emissions all year than my Redline does in the month of December.

I don't agree that someone just rammed out their cat either, in fact, a lot of tests that I see in the last few years show that a good high-performnace cat can sap as little as 3-5 horsepower in a 2000 Z28, that's around 1%. Note that I did not say the STOCK cat, but an aftermarket one. This is not the time or place to engage in environmental related discussions, but keep in mind, there really are people bothered by car exhaust, the gasses that form in the atmosphere, and all that crap, it's not JUST a marketing ploy. That said, do what you want, but don't hold everyone to your example.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
239 Posts
How much gain do you get with this car with a cat delete? We already have a fairly high flowing cat from the full size trucks. I know for a turbo, you want as free-flowing of an exhaust as possible so you can spool the turbo, but I would think you would see less of a gain with a supercharger.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
From what I understand, the lowest possible backpressure in the exhaust is the same for the supercharger. If there is back pressure there, you force the supercharger to work harder to get the charge into the cyl as the exhaust valves open into the exhaust path. The increased backpressure causes more heat to be generated in the intake stream from the supercharger encountering more 'resistance' in it's air column. I picked up a book specifically on superchargers and one aimed at street driven cars, not race cars. In the author's opinion, the exhaust path, header in particular, was the prime spot for the largest gains of HP for a quick part swap. I would like to go down this weekend and check about swapping the 2.25" section of pipe out to make the whole system 2.5". I would like to get the header as soon as possible too, but my damn past bills are killing me still! Stupid credit cards!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sp00ner said:
If there is back pressure there, you force the supercharger to work harder to get the charge into the cyl as the exhaust valves open into the exhaust path.
I believe it would only affect the supercharger if there was valve overlap and the supercharger was able to clense the cylinder durring an intake cycle.Pushing boost all the way through into the exhaust stream.

I honestly don't know if there is valve overlap on the LSJ and if so how long the duration is.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
MotorMouth said:
I believe it would only affect the supercharger if there was valve overlap and the supercharger was able to clense the cylinder durring an intake cycle.Pushing boost all the way through into the exhaust stream.

I honestly don't know if there is valve overlap on the LSJ and if so how long the duration is.
I'm under the impression that many supercharged engines are built with overlap, I don't know for certain if ours is, or how much. I'm just quoting what I've read on the subject in general terms. Looking at the dyno charts from the header however, seems to show some good gains from just the header swap. Might also explain the tendency for the car to burble and backfire a bit. You bring me to a good question about the cams and such that are in the car though. Anyone have any info on them yet?

·
Registered
541 Posts
There is a valve overlap on the 2.0 ecotech. On all forced air engines for that matter....Help ensure a cleaner charge for the next power cycle

Okay.....Now for the stupid part of my post....On Diesels, this is a fact, and I have noticed it on gasoline engines too, just not as much. Back pressure (to a certain extent) increases torque. Not completely, but I have dynoed several trucks, both with straight pipes (almost 0 back psi) this means no mufflers, cats, just headers and pipes and those with aftermarket cats and mufflers, and noticed that while HP gains went WAY up on straight pipes the TQ numbers wern't as impressive. The swap to aftermarket cats and mufflers produced equally impressive gains in the HP and TQ areas (over stock). Running cat free on newer cars doesn't make as much sense as it did in the late 70's and 80's. These cats (70's and 80's) were not exhaust or power friendly as todays are (though you do still lose power technically), and you increase the possibility of burning your valves.....Just my two cents.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts