Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through some past threads, and saw that a few people had the Check Engine Light go on after the K&N install. Who all had this happen, mine is on right now. I think this same thing happened after I changed the air filter, and it went off the next morning. I did unhook the battery while putting it in, and I noticed one other person stated he did as well, also getting the CEL. Same with the filter, I unhooked the battery and it came on when I started it back up. I'm hoping it will go back off in the morning like last time... if you did get the light, did you also unhook the battery?

·
the HepKitty
2,127 Posts
does this car have a mass air flow sensor near the intake?
I ask because in the VW world (1.8 turbo) if one installed a K&N and didnt let the oil that one must put on the filter dry properly or if they simply used excess oil, the mass air sensor would get dirty and the cars would throw codes...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's in the intake... you actually remove it from the old intake tube and install it into the K&N... I put some WD40 on my finger and used to to lube the seal a little, since it wouldn't fit into place right, but it was hardly enough to see on my finger, and it's almost 2" from where I used it to the sensor itself...

Edited: My bad, I see what you're saying, no it's right near the supercharger intake all the way at the end of the intake...

·
the HepKitty
2,127 Posts
Sp00ner said:
It's in the intake... you actually remove it from the old intake tube and install it into the K&N... I put some WD40 on my finger and used to to lube the seal a little, since it wouldn't fit into place right, but it was hardly enough to see on my finger, and it's almost 2" from where I used it to the sensor itself...

Edited: My bad, I see what you're saying, no it's right near the supercharger intake all the way at the end of the intake...

it very well could be that this sensor is getting wet...
I recommend letting the new K&N dry for a day or so prior to install...

·
Registered
73 Posts
GM has TSBs out for K&n (oil bath air filters) contaminating the mass air flow sensor and then making the sensor reading incorrect. and then voiding your warranty. but this only happens when the filters are excessivly oiled. i personally would check to make sure the readings are correct.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
When I installed mine I unhooked the battery and the CEL came on after about 1 hour of driving. When I got home I unhooked the battery for about 45 mins, hooked it back up and haven't had a problem since then and its been about a month since I installed it.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ACasper85 said:
GM has TSBs out for K&n (oil bath air filters) contaminating the mass air flow sensor and then making the sensor reading incorrect. and then voiding your warranty. but this only happens when the filters are excessivly oiled. i personally would check to make sure the readings are correct.
It didn't seem excessivley oiled, it just barely felt like there was any. What do you mean by check that the readings are correct? Check the codes that are set or what?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jmonte345 said:
When I installed mine I unhooked the battery and the CEL came on after about 1 hour of driving. When I got home I unhooked the battery for about 45 mins, hooked it back up and haven't had a problem since then and its been about a month since I installed it.
I'm gonna go unhook the battery now, and let it sit till morning if I'm too lazy to go out there before that, or if I fall asleep...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should also point out that I've driven the car and there is no lack of power or anything strange about the performance. Not that I can hear anything over the whine now, it's great... :D If the light stays off...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My K&N CAI has been on for about a month and I have had the CEL 2-3 times in the begining. I just unhooked the battery and it has been ok for the past couple weeks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
you would have to get diagnostic procedures to check it for certain if it is opporating properly. probaly gonna need a scan tool of some sort. and probaly a DMM (digital multimeter). but that is the only thing i can think of. If you just want to clear the code you can take both + and - cables off the battery and hold them together for 10 seconds and that should take care of it. or at least it used to on cars i have worked on in the past.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
ACasper85 said:
If you just want to clear the code you can take both + and - cables off the battery and hold them together for 10 seconds and that should take care of it. or at least it used to on cars i have worked on in the past.
On our cars you have to leave the negative cable unhooked for at least a half an hour to clear the codes.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i haven't had this problem at all. i know that the "old" update fixed it, but you said you got it. maybe the new update will fix it? either way you should go to the autoparts store and read the code to find out what it is.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Negative huh? Damn, I pulled the positive, and was thinking for an hour that I should have pulled the neg. Why don't I listen to myself, it's still on this morning... I'll try the neg cable after lunch...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Negative huh? Damn, I pulled the positive, and was thinking for an hour that I should have pulled the neg. Why don't I listen to myself, it's still on this morning... I'll try the neg cable after lunch...
gotta be your problem right there...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
do you know what the Cel is?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The check engine light? Yea, of course. Why?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Duh, you probably mean what code the light is?

Edited: Not sure, I was gonna pick up a scanner on the way home tonight if it dosen't go off. I think WopOnTour has posted the whole huge list of codes, so I'll try to figure it out this evening at the latest. I hate driving my car with a light on though, but it seems fine so far.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Removing the negative battery is sort of a pain in the ass. I know on my SC2 I use to pull the PCM fuse, did the exact same thing for clearing the codes. I'm going to try that instead if I throw a code...

Tom

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On the Redline you think it's hard? Harder than the positive for some reason? I must say, I like the battery in the trunk, although they sure could have positioned the light so you can see your spare tire and jack if you needed them...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.