Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well mt CEL came on last night. brought it to the dealer and it was code P0420 Catalyst low efficientcy TSB 05-06-04-020A. they fixed it in 30 minutes!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Any idea what they did? New cat?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
nope. reprogrammed ECU, clear codes and re-learn crankshaht. i ask he said it was a new reflash. i had the most updated flash, but i guess this one is newer.

it was EE PROM - reprogramming (install new opcode: J6354

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ahhhh. I see. Atleast it has not been in the shop 4 times before 1,200 miles like mine was :mad:

Say on a side note, got my muffler cut out last night and welded in a piece of exhaust pipe. Like the sound, feels good and it was free :D . Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Raven said:
nope. reprogrammed ECU, clear codes and re-learn crankshaht. i ask he said it was a new reflash. i had the most updated flash, but i guess this one is newer.

it was EE PROM - reprogramming (install new opcode: J6354
Might have just been an "over-burn" (reflashing / overwriting the same calibration file over the existing identical file) I am not aware of any new calibrations available at this time , but if you would be willing to PM me your VIN I could check it in the system. The P0420 basically means your second O2 (after the CAT) was not observing sufficient oxygen content being created by the CAT. Sure it could have been a calibration issue, but my suspicion is that the over-burn just "reset" the statistical base-line used to set the DTC from. Interesting to see if the MIL pops up again over the next couple weeks.
Keep us informed
WOT

PS> The J6354 means that at least the tech got paid for a NFF!! :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Chrome said:
Just straight pipe and no muffler eh? How does it sound?

Later,
Chrome...
I think it sounds great. I got the idea from Raven the other night at a local get together.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
glad i helped you decide what to do with the exhaust ;)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Raven said:
well mt CEL came on last night. brought it to the dealer and it was code P0420 Catalyst low efficientcy TSB 05-06-04-020A. they fixed it in 30 minutes!
Oh and that bulletin number DOES NOT pertain to the Redline- it is for the 2.2 L found in the "regular" IONs
WOT

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WopOnTour said:
Oh and that bulletin number DOES NOT pertain to the Redline- it is for the 2.2 L found in the "regular" IONs
WOT
so what does that mean?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Raven said:
so what does that mean?
Prolly just an error in communication between the tech and the tower operator. Wont affect you in the slightest, as there is NO WAY for them to accidentally put in the wrong calibration into your Redline's PCM as it's different from the regular IONs. Like I mentioned they either updated your calibration (assuming it hadnt been done before) OR reflashed your ECM with the exact same calibration in case they suspected it was corrupted somehow. Not unusual.
As long as it's running OK now and the MIL stays off- that's all that matters :D
WopOnTour

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my CEL came back on. for the same reason

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Raven said:
my CEL came back on. for the same reason
Methinks once they confirm you have no exhaust leaks or HO2S2 issues, you will very likely need a new cat. Also note that if it's dented or physically damaged in any way- they will likely want you to pay for it. :( So I suggest you inspect it first your self if you can.
WOT

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the guy at saturn told me it was either the O2 sensor or cat

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
just had my cat replaced yesterday, to hopefully resolve the recurring cel issue...

so far
so good....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
can they just replace the cat? or is the whole exhaust one peice?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Raven said:
can they just replace the cat? or is the whole exhaust one peice?
One piece, from the head to the tailpipe, so you have to remove most of the motor, and the rear suspension.

Dude that would suck so bad. Welded to the head.....

No but really, the part with the cat goes from the end of the header to just under the front seats, if memory serves me well.

If the cat is clogged, replacing the cat isn't fixing the problem. That's like taking medication. It's not a cure, it's just holding you over. Unless of course the cat itself was faulty, SOME condition clogged it, and that condition needs to be addressed.

Hey, type addressed. All left hand. heheh... Then type stewardesses. Oh yeah...

stewardessesstewardessesstewardessesstewardessesstewardesses.....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
had it inspected today finally. my cat and O2 sensor are being replaced. when the car is cold the cat vibrates like a mofo until i drive away.

·
Registered
243 Posts
atwilson said:
just had my cat replaced yesterday, to hopefully resolve the recurring cel issue...

so far
so good....
How many miles does your Red Line have? Raven only had about 1200 when he had the problem. Seems really early to have plugged CAT.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Raven said:
had it inspected today finally. my cat and O2 sensor are being replaced. when the car is cold the cat vibrates like a mofo until i drive away.
Raven, yours was a demo, right?

I assume that you've already thought about the possibility it got a little beat up by test drivers?

Xian

1 - 20 of 32 Posts