Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get flamed... yes I did do a search on this. Nothing came up when I searched CEL or CES.

My CEL just came on. I was wondering what seem to be the most common reasons.
- I have no modifications done to my 04 RL
- Car seems to running completely normal

I have a busy day and can't take it in today. so looks like it'll have to be Monday.

Thanks,

·
Registered
73 Posts
it msy poddinly your gas cap loose. did you recently fill up? thats the only thing i can think of with out scanning it. but take to the dealer let them deal with it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
There is a laundry list of things it could be. Tough to tell with out a scan tool unfortunately. If you were able to pull the trouble code WopOnTour has posted a huge list of DTC's here. Try to resist the temptation to re-set the computer, it may hamper the dealers ability to acurately diagnose what is going on with the car.

Best bet, drive it as little as possible and have the dealer take a look at it as soon as you can

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ACasper85 said:
it msy poddinly your gas cap loose. did you recently fill up? thats the only thing i can think of with out scanning it. but take to the dealer let them deal with it.
The last time I put gas was 2 days ago.
Well something interesting happened. He's the chain of recent events including what just happened.

- Wednesday I filled up the tank - No CEL
- Thursday I went fishing with just over 400klm both ways - No CEL
- Today going to work everything was fine and just before I hit the hightway the CEL come on.
- When I get to work I shut off the car wait then turn it back on - CEL is still there.
- Just now I went to get gas and a bite to eat and the CEL was on at startup. After I get gas NO CEL

The whole time no symptoms.

I guess I should still take it in.
* Would the code still be stored?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'd double check with *** but it is my understanding that the ECM stores the fault code along with a snap shot of the goings on in the computer at the time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
the computer does store a fault code. cel are for emissions. the MIL is illuminated after 2 consecutive fails. he light remains on until it runs the tests and pass X number of timees (dont remember number anymore) after the passes the light will turn off but a history code will be stored. if you still worried about go to the dealer they will be able to scan and fix the problem under the WARRANTY that came with the car. the very least they will come up with NPF or CND.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I have an appointment to scan the code, cam seal recall, trunkling bumper scatches, 1st to 2nd shift rattle and pealing interior pain.

If there's anything worth reporting I will.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just got back from picking up the car. The appointment was for more than just the CEL coming on.

I went in for:
1. CEL came on 3 times over 4 days starting last week.
2. Check rattle when doing a low RPM shift from 1st to 2nd
3. bumper scratches from trunk lid (TSB# 050862001)
4. CAM seal recall
5. Paint wore off on center consol near HVAC

Here are the results in order:
1. "No DTC's present at time of scan test" appartently if it's not serious and there are a number of engine starts with no code the computer gets rid of them. Next time it happens (hopefully it never will) I'm taking it in right away.

2. After road-test we took a brand new 05 RL with only 13klm for a drive and it made the same sound. Assumption is it's normal with these cars. He still put it in the system to keep on file and if it gets worse they'll try to fix.

3. Even though I booked this a week ago the pads still haven't come in. Estimate 1 week. I think they just forgot to order it because when I went in this morning he didn't know that needed to be done.

4(a). Recall # 05522 CAM seal recall completed
4(b). Recall # 05514 - PCM Upgrade CAL. Completed with calibration # 12597977. * I had no idea that this was a separate recall. I thought it was part of the above recall. Even my notice had reference only to the one above.
5. re-book required

Now to vent for a second.
I am 6'3" 240lbs and my seat is all the way back with a slight recline (not too much just a comfortable position).
Why is it that the 5'4" service guy not only move my seat forward but raise it and change the recline on the back. Why can't they leave it as is and just slide it up if needed. I spend needless time readjusting. I know it probably sounds like no big deal but when I find my spot I don't want it moved. It takes constand adjustments to get it the way I like it.

Now this I don't understand. I know that dealers are trying to provide good customer service but I take care of my car try to keep it looking like new. When I clean my car yesterday and looks spotless today why do they feel they that HAVE TO wash it. I got it back dripping wet and where it started to dry I was getting spots. I cleaned and polished my rims and tires just to have a minimum wage gopher make it worse.
* I will tell them next time not to do it but I shouldn't have to. Use your common sense... If it's clean don't make it dirty.
I spent 15 minutes for nothing drying her and armouralling the tires.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i definetly agree with you on the seat. when i drive a car i don't touch the seat. but i do need to adjust it back sometimes when the old people get out of their buicks but otherwise i don't move it. as for my boss he sometimes has to move the seat up and the back up if they're driving in "inner city mode" or the "B pillar lean" goin on. but anyway i too don't want to have to mess with my seat.

as for the washing i prefere to do it myself as well i don't to take it through the spray and scratch. but oh well sometimes its ok to get it done when its real dirty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts