Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my old SL1, I had the Friction Masters (I think). I had like no brake dust ever, and they worked fine. Well some time soon, I am going to need new pads, and I am prolly gonna replace the rotors too. I was wondering if anyone here had ceramics and what rotors they were using them on, and if they had any problems. I love the stopping distance on the IRL, and I am not going to sacrafice even a extra foot of that for the lack of dust.

Is the second one really twice as good at the first?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but there is no need to change the pads on the back? I see like no dust ever back there.

Friction Master CMX956 $41.48

Akebono ACT956 $84.99

·
Registered
384 Posts
I got the proACT from www.tirerack.com. I love the ceramic brakes--zero dust on wheels. The factory pads kept me washing the wheels

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you get all 4 or did you just do front?

also how did much did you drop? sorry i am lazy... don't feel like looking it up

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just front ~~ $70, but you shoulde able to get them cheaper now. The first month
I got the car off cam the dirty pads. NO one but tirerack had them

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
they are $55 now, but it says per axle set, is that both sides or not?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
ok cool, advanceautoparts.com has a couple different brands too for around $40 a set, that might be an idea too

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
those two links in the original post are from advance

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
lol, i didn't even click 'em i just checked that site cuz i have a friend that gets me employee price :)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
i was told that our front pads were already ceramic by a few brake companies, if that is true why change them out unless you need new pads. i wil double check with the brake guys but thats what most of them told me. i could be wrong so i will check, also i like the axxis pads if anyone has seen them, they always work really good, ebc's to if they have them for the redline yet i am not sure i will check also

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hold the phone, guys...we already HAVE Akebono Pro ACT ceramic brakes....they're stock. I confirmed it with the Akebobo tech reps at SEMA/IAS Atlantic City yesterday...saved me $55.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
thats what i said earlier here i was told we had ceramic pads already and i said not to upgrade unless you need new pads. thanks for definatley clarifying that. i was told by a good source but glad to know they were right!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I didnt think ceramic pads were supposed to make much brake dust, are there different grades or something?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My front wheels look like black steel after a nice evening out on capital bvld... My SL would have virtually no dust on them after weeks of driving them. But, I am not expecting that on my IRL, just not so much dust. Am I being too picky?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Quite possibly...

How hard are you getting on your brakes? They are alot stronger than the old SL/SC's, in which the brakes were TERRIBLE! So, it dosen't suprise me that these are getting dirty quickly. I still find myself stopping too short.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can get heavy on my brakes... I try to avoid down shifting too much, so that is putting more strain on them then my automatic SL1. Oh well... i guess i will just live with it.... Has anyone sprayed brake system cleaner on their rims... I know it can be somewhat corrosive to certain materals, but if our rims are not one of them, i can just give a quick shot every few days. That stuff (the walmart brand) is dirt cheap anyways.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts