Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to buy my summer tires and had a few questions. First, I have a dedicated set of Blizzaks, so these will only be doing summer duty.

I did have a set of Fuzion ZRi's that were on the car when I bought it. They seemed to hold up to the abuse that I gave them "ok", but were done at 12,000 miles. I've read all the reviews and comparisons, but I trust some reviews about as far as I can throw a shoe. I've never got to compare a cheap summer tire like the Fuzions to a great all season such as the Goodyear Eagle F1's. Can someone on here pipe in that has run both and tell me how a cheap summer tire (maz performace) can compare to a high performance all season (ultra high performance)?

I'll be doing mostly town/highway driving, with some spirited backroad thrashing along the way. No autocross or anything like that at this point. I would also like to get around 25k if I could to try and squeeze 2 summers out of them. I'd also like to stay below $125 or so a piece. Any thoughts on how these two tire categories stack up, and maybe some suggestions from people that have had both?

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
^i agree with him, as well as proxie fz4's which i have nothing but good opinions about

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
thumbs down on toyo proxes fz4 for wet performance from me.

i was, however, able to get about 30k out of them with one track day at the end before i got sick of the poor wet weather performance.

that's with mostly highway with the few times a week blast down back roads in the summer.

fz4's were barely acceptable in snow if you plan on trying that too.

i have heard good things about nitto neo-gens for a high performance all-season.

but ultimately i think at this point i'd be dissatisfied with cornering performance from all season tires, so if you're used to the ZRi's, i'd look for a mid-priced summer tire with a higher treadwear rating (280-300)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought my tires last night. They'll probably only last 1 summer, but I think it might be worth it. Tirerack had Bridgestone Potenza Re-01Rs on sale for $104. 225/45 sizing. After reading reviews it seems they are getting pretty close in performance to the DZ101 Star Specs, so I thought I would bite the bullet and get something balls out that won't last as long. Listed at $188 usually, so I thought it was a pretty decent deal... Only a couple weeks till they should go on. I'll post up my .02 cents when I get em on and hit the backroads...

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Bought my tires last night. They'll probably only last 1 summer, but I think it might be worth it. Tirerack had Bridgestone Potenza Re-01Rs on sale for $104. 225/45 sizing. After reading reviews it seems they are getting pretty close in performance to the DZ101 Star Specs, so I thought I would bite the bullet and get something balls out that won't last as long. Listed at $188 usually, so I thought it was a pretty decent deal... Only a couple weeks till they should go on. I'll post up my .02 cents when I get em on and hit the backroads...
nice man, and yes let us know absolutely!

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Crappy and Goodyear just don't go together, son! Goodyear makes a very good tire for nearly every application out there. Not saying they're the best, but they sure ain't crappy.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Crappy and Goodyear just don't go together, son! Goodyear makes a very good tire for nearly every application out there. Not saying they're the best, but they sure ain't crappy.
I completely disagree with this statement. I worked for a goodyear corporate store and I can tell you right now this isnt true.

They make decent all season tires. Their truck tires all suck balls and have wicked balancing/wear issues and I hate the F1 all season. Numerous complaints were had with those tires.

The only good thing about goodyear is the fact that they make dunlop and other brands that are light years better than goodyears themselves.

Ive used numerous dunlops and all of my customers loved them. Id rather sell a dunlop or a cheaper tire because honestly....most of goodyear's tires are way to overpriced for the quality of them.

·
Registered
869 Posts
yeah I have the goodyear all seasons... they are alright, they wore out way quicker than I was hoping, not great in the snow... I'm hoping to get some winter tires for this years winter, and a summer for next years summer.
well with my sweet wheels you'll be able to do that ;)

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I completely disagree with this statement. I worked for a goodyear corporate store and I can tell you right now this isnt true.

They make decent all season tires. Their truck tires all suck balls and have wicked balancing/wear issues and I hate the F1 all season. Numerous complaints were had with those tires.

The only good thing about goodyear is the fact that they make dunlop and other brands that are light years better than goodyears themselves.

Ive used numerous dunlops and all of my customers loved them. Id rather sell a dunlop or a cheaper tire because honestly....most of goodyear's tires are way to overpriced for the quality of them.
Still doesn't make them a "crappy" tire manufacturer. Overpriced? Maybe, but crappy is a form of opinion. Gotta look at the complete list of manufacturers with comparable tire characteristics vs. genuine complaints or issues related to the performance of the tire. Too many variables out there to say one makes a "crappy" tire. By the way, I'm not a Goodyear fan. I'm not a fan of any one type of tire. I just bought Eagle F1 GSD3's. I only have them for their performance characteristics. I've used Toyo Proxes, General, Cooper, BFG, Dunlop, Pirelli. I picked each one for the car I was applying them to in order to make it do what I wanted it to do and still be affordable.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Still doesn't make them a "crappy" tire manufacturer. Overpriced? Maybe, but crappy is a form of opinion. Gotta look at the complete list of manufacturers with comparable tire characteristics vs. genuine complaints or issues related to the performance of the tire. Too many variables out there to say one makes a "crappy" tire. By the way, I'm not a Goodyear fan. I'm not a fan of any one type of tire. I just bought Eagle F1 GSD3's. I only have them for their performance characteristics. I've used Toyo Proxes, General, Cooper, BFG, Dunlop, Pirelli. I picked each one for the car I was applying them to in order to make it do what I wanted it to do and still be affordable.
Well by me being an employee at the time and seeing all the people complain about the quality of the tires and not only getting those complaints at my store but all of the stores in my district seem to back up my "opinion".

Goodyear makes some decent tires...but most of them are complete garbage. The F1 GSD3 is an awesome tire. Ive never once had a complaint about them and I know numerous people using them on all sorts of cars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts