Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Check Engine Light

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  spongalot 
#1 ·
Hey guys i took out the two hoses that connected to the airbox and replaced the filter. It sounds great but now my ce light is on. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Also, sometimes my car will ding a few times and then the lock on the car symbol will come on and the service vehicle soon message. I disconnected the battery after i changed out the filter so i don't think thats the problem. I'm going to call my dealership and schedule an appoinment for my car on friday, but if anyone can tell me whats wrong, and how to fix it, that would be great.

#3 ·
CobaltRacer said:
Correct me if I'm wrong.. but all you did was disconnect the hoses from the stock airbox and put in some higher flow filter? Those hoses are in that air box for a reason.. Thats probably the source of your CEL
Why don't you tell that to everyone that has done that, and is planning to do that. And the hoses aren't in the air box, they lead to it from the inside of the fender. If removing the hoses that led to your air box, or even the box for that matter, would set off a cel light, then everyone would complain when they got an aftermarket intake. When i asked the service department manager about it, he said it was probably emessions related, but i doubt it.

#4 ·
First ride in my car after putting the K&N filter in it I got the CEL. After I stopped, I unplugged the MAF (I think that's what it is) on top of the airbox and plugged it back in and when I started the car, no light and it hasn't come back since.

#5 · (Edited)
go to an autoparts store to see what the code is, i think it will be system running too rich. i'm going to unplug the maf sensor as was stated above, but i've reset the code and it keeps coming back on, when i'm cruizing on the freeway...

doesn't make sense that adding more air will cause the computer to add TOO MUCH fuel, i wonder why it would be running rich. anyone else with an airbox removed have this issue?

#7 ·
Vita said:
go to an autoparts store to see what the code is, i think it will be system running too rich. i'm going to unplug the maf sensor as was stated above, but i've reset the code and it keeps coming back on, when i'm cruizing on the freeway...

doesn't make sense that adding more air will cause the computer to add TOO MUCH fuel, i wonder why it would be running rich. anyone else with an airbox removed have this issue?

i got the exact same thing after removing my airbox, it comes and goes.......but i havent seen it in quite some time, and it hasnt effected my gas mileage, at leaset not much if any.

#8 ·
i figured it's relearning things, but i've gone through 1/4 tank of gas with only 40+ miles on the trip... i'll be double and triple checking AGAIN that everything is connected properly, so hopefully it clears up. i have gotten rid of the codes, and held my brake pedal down while i smoked a ciggarete slowly to try and reset the computer (with the battery disconnected), but it came back.

#9 ·
here is an explanation of the code

P0172 - System too Rich (Bank 1)
when air fuel ratio feedback is stable after engine warm up, fuel trim is considerably in error on the LEAN side (2 trip detection logic)

must be the MAF

#11 ·
John said:
from what youre saying, you have created a vacuum leak, which makes the car run rich and sets the ses light.
how did i create a vacuum leak? all hoses are properly connected, and on tight...

could you please provide some more detail, is it from having such a big filter? maybe a hose not associated with the intake is loose?

#12 ·
ses

yes that is possible any loose vaccuum line or small vacuum leak causes the idle to increase which makes the computer dump more gas and several codes can set. does youre idle surge at all? or idle higher than normal?

#13 ·
Vita, after you did this mod, did you find that if you coast to a stop in neutral, your rpms drop and jump repeatedly until you come to a stop and then they even out?

thats been happening to me ever since i did the mod......doesnt do anything other than that, its just weird.

#14 ·
i've noticed idle lower than usual, when i let off the gas, i get kind of a lunge or lurch so to say, i've taken that to be from better throttle response, haven't noticed anything coasting to a stop from neutral, as i usually downshift, but what i notice is what i say above, some kind of a lurch, not too bad, but there

#15 ·
if your idle is not constant or erratic that is a vac leak somewhere. Listen around.

#16 ·
same thing happened to me today at a stop it felt like it was missing it would slightly drop rpms at a stop. took to my my mechanic and had it scanned. was throwing a MAF code. pushed on the connector to the maf and the light went off and didnt come back on at all on my ride home.

#18 ·
Vita said:
i've noticed idle lower than usual, when i let off the gas, i get kind of a lunge or lurch so to say, i've taken that to be from better throttle response, haven't noticed anything coasting to a stop from neutral, as i usually downshift, but what i notice is what i say above, some kind of a lurch, not too bad, but there
The same thing happens to me, but it also happens when i upshift and when the car hits around 2500 rpms. Also, when i went cruising this weekend i put some octane booster in my car. BIG MISTAKE, the car felt like it was running way too rich. Whenever i would downshift to second(@ 2500rpm) and step on the gas the car would just sit there for a second or two and then take off at around 3500 rpm. By the end of the night i was convinced the car was running slower. Now im back to regular premium gas and the car feels much better. I think the cel light comes on mostly when the car has been running for a while, especially on the freeway.

#19 ·
xtremesc2 said:
Vita, after you did this mod, did you find that if you coast to a stop in neutral, your rpms drop and jump repeatedly until you come to a stop and then they even out?

thats been happening to me ever since i did the mod......doesnt do anything other than that, its just weird.
Hasn't this always been a problem with saturns? My 97 sc2 used to do it too, but I dont think it ever did it before i put an intake on it.

#21 ·
i took off evertyhing after the airbox lid and put some cheapy apc cone filter on it and it pooped the code the first night i did it and i undid the negative ground for like 10 mins and it went away and it has never come back and i have driven it close to 1000 miles since i did it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.