Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what about he chevy cavalier cobalt, anyone see are heard anything about this car. price, when they are suppose to be out, specs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This car is going to be sooo hot whenit comes out.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
after lots of consideration, i've decided i like the ion much more, plus the dent resistant side panels rock. i don't know why but i just dont like the look of the cobalt.

gotta love the suicide doors too!

·
Registered
188 Posts
yea that is the whole reason i am going to buy the redline,it will still look like new 5yrs later,no door dings

·
Registered
22 Posts
Am i the only person that sees that the Cobalt SS is a Red Line with 18 inch tires, and a few horrible mods to the body?

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, you're not.

when I was at IMS during May, they had a whole display showing the Cobalt. And I must say that it is EXACTLY the same, minus the quad coupe, the body, and the dash is different from the radio up. Other than that, same. The part I find really sad though, is it will far outsell the RL just because its a Chevy.

Also, If you guys don't recognize me, I'm new here, but I'm and avid RL fan, but I don't own one (some stupid thing called credit that I don't have).

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
just found out the gear ratios for the cobalt

1st - 4.05
2nd - 2.02
3rd - 1.35
4th - .98
5th - .69
final drive - 3.94

as opposed to the ion RL's

1st - 3.38
2nd - 1.76
3rd - 1.18
4th - .89
5th - .7
final drive - 4.05

now i don't know how much this affects things, but it seems to me like it would be ideal to swap second, third, and fourth. can anyone enlighten me on the subject??? what exactly is final drive, is that what it is when you're in 5th?

how hard is it going to be to get this transmission from GM?

here is the srt-4 gear ratios, which seem to make it very quick...

1st - 3.647
2nd - 2.045
3rd - 1.367
4th - .947
5th - .756
final drive - 3.526

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think that they only need to swap first gear with the Cobalt. Its a pretty tough gear in the RL because it feels like you use it up too quickly, and you really don't feel like you get a good launch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does anyone know what the official weight of the RL is? I've seen different figures, and some would put the RL as 300 pounds lighter than the Cobalt. If that is the case, then the ION will likely out-perform the Cobalt being that it has the exact same HP and Torque ratings.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
the srt has no advantage at all in gearing once it comes to a drag all the gears except first are almost the same but out final is taller making us faster off the line and through the gears. Its that little bit of extra power which makes them faster. Id like to find out if the saab 6 speed will bolt in to our app.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Vita said:
just found out the gear ratios for the cobalt

1st - 4.05
2nd - 2.02
3rd - 1.35
4th - .98
5th - .69
final drive - 3.94

as opposed to the ion RL's

1st - 3.38
2nd - 1.76
3rd - 1.18
4th - .89
5th - .7
final drive - 4.05

now i don't know how much this affects things, but it seems to me like it would be ideal to swap second, third, and fourth. can anyone enlighten me on the subject??? what exactly is final drive, is that what it is when you're in 5th?

how hard is it going to be to get this transmission from GM?

here is the srt-4 gear ratios, which seem to make it very quick...

1st - 3.647
2nd - 2.045
3rd - 1.367
4th - .947
5th - .756
final drive - 3.526
Im not sure where you got the info for the cobalts ratios, but they're the same as the RedLine. The only drivetrain difference is the cobalts tranny isn't a getrag.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also heard that the ratios were the same. The only advantages the Cobalt are going to have is a tighter suspension and smaller body. With any luck it might be a bit lighter which might improve things a bit. Who knows.

·
Registered
487 Posts
RedLined said:
Im not sure where you got the info for the cobalts ratios, but they're the same as the RedLine. The only drivetrain difference is the cobalts tranny isn't a getrag.
chevy has been saying that they will be different for the last year, so I dunno

I would NEVER want a smaller 1st gear in a RL, there is crap for traction as is!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
RedLined said:
the cobalt tranny IS going to be a getrag, the RL has the F35 from the SAABs, and i found the gear ratios somewhere on the net

·
Registered
16 Posts
Someone please tell me when i should be seeing the Cobalt, deffintly ready to start blowin the doors of the thing. I mean its a cool car, but jus another helpless victim for me to beat on.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
you could be seeing them right now, not sure about coupes, and the SS S/C isn't going to be around till mid model year if i'm not mistaken

1 - 20 of 28 Posts