Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to work and saw one of those SSR's, I was lookin at them in the dealership window about a year ago. Only thing that turned me away was the $80K price tag on it, (i think it was some special drive across country signature somthingorothers) Anywho, some older guy prob 40's is drivin it, so of course I play with him. Pull up beside him and STARE he kept looking over at me, and quick turing away. Eventually after a couple of jack rabbit starts He goes, I drop to 4th (we were at 80) and take it to about 130. I am pulling slowly the whole time. About 2 cars when it is all said and done.
My question is, did this guy downshift, cuz i thought they were LS1 powered and if so there is no way I would have won, unless they weigh as much as a Mac Truck. Fun though, and they sound pretty bad ass. Also the rear suspension kinda looks like the prowlers.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I THINK, that the first ones were only in the high 200's for horsepower, 280, 290, something like that. Not totally sure, I DO know that there was an engine change to a higher output one either this, or last year. So it's possible that you ran into one of those, or that he didn't downshift or something. I'm pretty sure that a new one would rip us a new one...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Type 6.0 Liter V8
RPO LS2
Displacement (cu. in./liters) 364/6.0
Bore & stroke (in.) 4.0 x 3.6
Bore & stroke (mm) 101.2 x 92.0
Compression ratio 10.9:1
Block material cast-aluminum
Cylinder head material cast-aluminum
Valves per cylinder 2
Ignition system direct, coil-near-plug
Hydraulic lifters hydraulic roller
Cam drive chain
Alternator rating (amps) 145
Battery (SAE rating, cold-cranking amps) 600
Recommended unleaded fuel 93 octane recommended but not required
Redline (RPM) 6500
Horsepower/kW @ engine RPM 390/291 @ 6000
Torque (lb.-ft./N-m) @ RPM 405/546 @ 4400

These are the specs on the new ones.....

Edited:
It's also 4700 lbs... didn't know that, thought they were lighter... must be that top...

·
Registered
168 Posts
the 04 models use a 5.3L out of the silverados that made 300hp. which was good for high 15s in the 1/4 mile

·
Registered
18 Posts
re1080 said:
the 04 models use a 5.3L out of the silverados that made 300hp. which was good for high 15s in the 1/4 mile
The sad thing is, the 04's were automatics only.

They fixed that little problem for 05...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The SSR if I recall is made out of iron (rare for cars these days) which contributes to its portly weight. I think they weigh about as much as a 1/2 ton truck. Considering the price and the utility of these trucks, I'd much rather plunk down my cash on a corvette.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
It's a novelty car, like the Prowler... I'd buy one if I had an extra $50,000 sitting around with nothing to do. Assuming I already owned 4 or 5 cars... otherwise I just can't see it. Maybe lease one for a year or something, but that's about it. I've still never seen one with the top down driving, seen plenty of pics...

·
Registered
679 Posts
14.9 1/4 time stock= SLOW!!! for a s/c truck w/well over 300hp sucks look at road and track last month. im not flippen over a win. I have beaten one b4 but i race make believe cars so do listen to me LOL

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Colin said:
14.9 1/4 time stock= SLOW!!! for a s/c truck w/well over 300hp sucks look at road and track last month. im not flippen over a win. I have beaten one b4 but i race make believe cars so do listen to me LOL
Are you talking about the SSR? It's not supercharged...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Are you talking about the SSR? It's not supercharged...

ditto that........its not Supercharged, would make for a more interesting drive though. 390 HP I think is the current rating which is very good for a regular sized truck, but since this thing is supposed to be sporty and is hampered by all the extra weight 390 makes it underpowered for that much weight. Would be nice to see that 390 HP reside in the trailblazer which I think shares the platform with the SSR. I think the Trailblazer SS that I remember reading about had a supercharged I-5. I say shoehorn the 6.0 and leave the supercharging to the after-market. Can anyone say Typhoon II?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Colin said:
14.9? Hahah, yeah right. Look around the LS2 SSR runs between 13.8 and 14.1 in the quarter. Go ahead, line up with a LS2 SSR and see what happens.

·
Registered
150 Posts
TXRLU said:
ditto that........its not Supercharged, would make for a more interesting drive though. 390 HP I think is the current rating which is very good for a regular sized truck, but since this thing is supposed to be sporty and is hampered by all the extra weight 390 makes it underpowered for that much weight. Would be nice to see that 390 HP reside in the trailblazer which I think shares the platform with the SSR. I think the Trailblazer SS that I remember reading about had a supercharged I-5. I say shoehorn the 6.0 and leave the supercharging to the after-market. Can anyone say Typhoon II?
Actually isn't the production TrailBlazer SS supposed to have the LS2? I swear that's what I read. Hmmm, maybe I should talk my mom into trading in her '03 LTZ for the SS lol.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
i have used 05 in pa with 1500 miles for like 29,995 it would suck to buy a new one with a price drop like that! lol

almost like a redline :)

i drove a 400 hp one and i dont know if they would smoke us, it was pretty intense though, i did get to race a modded up RSX type S and i smoked him by 3 car lengths but so would my RL so i that didnt tell me much as to who would win, RL or SSR.

it would be tough though the ssr did haul pretty good.

·
the HepKitty
2,127 Posts
SilverRedLine04 said:
i have used 05 in pa with 1500 miles for like 29,995 it would suck to buy a new one with a price drop like that! lol

almost like a redline :)

i drove a 400 hp one and i dont know if they would smoke us, it was pretty intense though, i did get to race a modded up RSX type S and i smoked him by 3 car lengths but so would my RL so i that didnt tell me much as to who would win, RL or SSR.

it would be tough though the ssr did haul pretty good.

Hmmmm....

I should buy it......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.