Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys ever cleaned under the hood? I'd love to get the engine bay all nice and shiny, I used to just cover things with plastic and hose down the engine bay. That was on cars with no computers or sensors though, just wondering what people would suggest to get that cleaned up. I was under the hood alot this weekend and there is literally salt crusted onto some things around the engine and framework. Can I just hose it down after covering some key things? Seems like alot of stuff to cover though....

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I pressure wash the whole damn thing when its cold. Let it sit and drive the crap out of it after some time passes.

I have done this on a ton of newer cars 2000 up and no problems at all yet.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would just cover the fuel injection wiring (injector harness)....I use Simple Green, or you can dilute Castrol's Super Clean or use 409 - cleaning your engine is not radical, just don't use a pressure washer to see how much water you can impregnate into your wiring harnesses and stuff...

There are guys out there who freak out over washing engines, like the dude who just finished my son's 240 - what's the point of having that cool motor if you're not proud to open your hood?

I wax the painted portions, like the fender wells and part of the firewall, and hit all the hoses and plastic pieces with Son of a Gun - makes it look great.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, was a little worried about too much water under there, I know some get in there driving, quite a bit at times, but it's a little different than directly spraying the whole thing down.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A good number of my friends at work do detailing for a living. So I can tell you from expert experience that ANY engine bay can be hosed down. Spray it to death with degreaser, BUT DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN!!!. SIMPLE GREEN DEGRADES ALUMINUM!!!! If its the only thing you have then it will work but you MUST get it off fast, don't let it site AT ALL.

A good quality automotive degreaser will work much better and won't hurt anything. Just wet it all down first (be sure to defuse the spray, don't hit wiring harnesses with a direct stream) and then soak it down with degreaser. Use a brillow pad or wire brush if you have to (I duno how a brand new car could be that dirty) and then gentley rinse it ALL off. Most of the cars we do, we drive out right after, no drying time. But its probably a good idea to drive the car for awhile to make sure its completely dry before putting it away.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
planetSlowCar1 said:
A good number of my friends at work do detailing for a living. So I can tell you from expert experience that ANY engine bay can be hosed down. Spray it to death with degreaser, BUT DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN!!!. SIMPLE GREEN DEGRADES ALUMINUM!!!! If its the only thing you have then it will work but you MUST get it off fast, don't let it site AT ALL.

A good quality automotive degreaser will work much better and won't hurt anything. Just wet it all down first (be sure to defuse the spray, don't hit wiring harnesses with a direct stream) and then soak it down with degreaser. Use a brillow pad or wire brush if you have to (I duno how a brand new car could be that dirty) and then gentley rinse it ALL off. Most of the cars we do, we drive out right after, no drying time. But its probably a good idea to drive the car for awhile to make sure its completely dry before putting it away.
It's mainly the fact that there is salt all over the place from the winter, and it's in locations that are VERY difficult to get to. I don't need to scrub everything even, just want to hose the salt and some sand out of the little crevices that it's lodged it. There's even a small fan shaped crystal formation of salt, it's about an inch and a half wide, very pretty! ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Simple Green doesn't degrade aluminum - ANY cleaner will oxidize aluminum if you leave it on for too long or use it with too strong a dilution.

I've been detailing cars (for money) since I was 13, and have used Simple Green since it hit the market about 20-22 years ago.

Lighten up on the caffiene, and read the freaking directions. While you CAN use a pressure washer on the engine, you shouldn't - period. The idea is to never let your engine get so nasty that you have to use a paint scraper (or pressure washer) to clean it.

"A good quality automotive degreaser will work much better" - like Castrol Super Clean, that can take paint off if not diluted properly? heck, why not carb cleaner?

Simple Green IS a "good quality automotive degreaser".

·
Registered
63 Posts
I realize that many people use simple green for that stuff. But in my experience, which I admit isn't as much as yours and from what I've been told by a guy thats been doing it professionally for 30something years, simple green is not good for that kind of work. It needs to be used full strength to work well and full strength with damage aluminum quickly, if you don't believe me call the manufacturer and ask if its recommended for aluminum.

Lots of people use lots of products that aren't recommended for the surfaces being cleaned, some with good results, others not.

I also never said to use a pressure washer, that would be a baaad idea. In fact I said to defuse the spray (hose spray if you didn't read into it) and not hit connectors/harnesses directly.

For the record and so you can laugh, I've actually used carb cleaner on the block a few times. And I also didn't think the lettering was gona come out that big. lol :eek:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
yeah....if you cant spray degreaser over your engine, let it sit for a few minutes, then hose it off with a regular hose and make it look almost brand new.....then u dont clean ur engine often enough.

do that and then take a towel out and "fine tune" all of it

its not rocket science....its easy to do, and not all that easy to screw up either.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Dig out Old Post LOL!!! SImple Green clean the motor...

Don't you guys love an old post being dug out of the woodwork??? :soapbox:

Anyhow, GF's ZX-2 motor was filthy yuk dirty. Took straight Simple Green in my little spray bottle and soaked the dry motor compartment down with about 8oz. Used a fine mist but it was dripping wet. Everything got sprayed. Waited until I seen some dissolving slime going on which seemed about 10 minutes, then very carefully with slow running water out of the hose, not spraying, I rinsed the slime away. Wow, another motor came out sparkling new looking.

Did this to my '97 SC-2 a year or so ago and it still looks clean. No corrosion on anything including the bare aluminum intake.

Cheep way to clean the grime off a motor. The ZX-2 had 50k miles worth of grime. No winter's though.

Mike:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Every wash i pop the hood and soap up the whole engine bay and then rinse it. I've done this on both of my new cars and the only problem i ever had was with the intake on my old car. I got a little crazy and sprayed the filter for some reason, ended up flooding the engine (had to pull the plugs and turn it over a few times to get the water out). The only thing you'll not want to do is spray any soap or water onto the hoodliner. Try to keep that as dry as possible because it starts to break apart if you hit it often. FYI those connectors are all fine to hit with water, most are a sealed connector and as long as you're engine isn't running or extremely hot you wont hurt anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts