Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to the forum and need some help.
I have a 2006 stock Redline with 62,000 miles on it. I recently noticed that when I accelerate and let off of it I get a "clunking" noise somewhere in the front end. It sounds like the noise is coming from the center/driver side, as if there is a broken transmission mount (if it was a rear wheel drive car). I put the car up on jack stands and pulled both wheels but I cant find anything loose or out of order. I did have to replace the front passenger side hub not long ago but everything there is tight. The struts and springs look and feel fine.
I only hear/feel the clunking on acceleration. It rides fine and doesn't make the noise in cornering or normal driving.
Could someone please give me a clue as to what the problem can be? I appreciate it alot.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts

I would guess trailing control arm bushing; shown here, is an alloy FE5 arm. Redlines have steel arms. The alloy arm is better. The rear control arm bushing (trailing) has a steel center and a voided rubber insert; The steel center breaks loose. I make replacement joints but for you thats a big expense, as mine only fit FE5 alloy arms.

This picture shows the control arm attached to the cradle, assemby out of the car.

Either that , or you have bad sway bar drop links, but that wont make a knock under accelleration. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clunking noise

After I posted asking for help I decided to go out into the garage and have one last look. It was exactly the problem you described, although I found it before I got your reply.
I really appreciate your help, thank you.
Are the FE5 arms an aftermarket item or do they come on a different year/make of Saturn? I definitely am going to look into getting a set of them after I get settled into my new job.
I would also like to do a few bolt-on upgrades for a few more HP. If you have any suggestions let me know.
Once again, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
856 Posts
fe5 comes on the cobalt ss supercharged. from what i have learned from this website is cobalt suspension(fe5) is better than ion stuff(fe3). most people switch to fe5 but some stuff doesnt work

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
it all works; only part is, that to use cobalt front road springs you need some cobalt parts and a spacer set I devised and you can buy

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know I'm bumping an old thread but is it possible to switch to FE5 parts for the '04 RLs? Iirc the control arm on the '04s has the speed sensor however the new trans I bought I believe is from an '04 RL as well, so I don't have the speed sensor built into the trans, I'll have to take the ECM off to be able to see

Thanks for your wisdom qwick

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The speed sensor is on the intermediate shaft on the '04's.

I recommend the SS/SC FE5 control arms as opposed to the SS/TC because the ball joint stud is a larger diameter on the TC's which causes a bit of work to open the knuckles to receive it.

·
The Professor
3,821 Posts
No, the control arm can be accessed with just taking the knuckle out. The rear bolt for it is technically the rear subframe mount bolt, so make sure you support the subframe with a jack stand or something before removing the rear bolt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts