Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone find that the clutch grabs awfully high up? Friend of mine with an 04 GTO drove it and kept revving it up before the clutch grabbed - couldn't get used to it. :confused:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Clutch Engagement at the bottom

Quite the opposite in fact! Whenever people test-drive the vehicle, I usually warn them that the engagement point is right at the floor. I actually prefer it this way as it's easier to reliably locate the clutch engagement point.

I hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Do you have an 04 or 05?
I never have to put my clutch even close to the floor - couple inches for shifts.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yea, mine tends to grab high as well. That's one of the reasons I said it's so easy to slip the gear a little too long when shifting. It's great when you're hammering on it, to me. I can use the clutch with just my toes, but for smooth shifting I have a hard time with it. Someone asked about the clutch slipping going into second gear, and I think the high grab has something to do with that in my case. It only slips on me when I think I've been holding the clutch in too far for too long. My old Saturn, you could push the clutch 1/2 way in before it would do anything, and I think I'm still used to that one.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My clutch engagement when I bought the car was long, like the entire length of the pedal travel, but now it is a LITTLE high, not too bad. It's very good for banging through gears but awful when you're trying to be smooth, just like spooner said

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
unknownsuperhero said:
I like it high, not bad for stop and go, and all I need is a tap o the toes and away I go . . . Hey that rhymed. I should consider rap . . .
Add a biotch and I think you've got it!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I find its a little high, but its not overly high. It took about a week to get used to as my old car's clutch engadged about 1 inch from the floor (hehe..11 yr old clutch) so it took awhile to get used to but I find it fine now. As for 'smooth' shifting, I find if I try hard I can shift smooth, but if I just drive, screw it being smooth if my passenger doesn't like it they can find another ride...lol.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Amen to that, xerostate. Most people have stopped complaining about my driving just because the R/L is so bitchin :p *pats self on back*

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
lol, yeah. They usually say "Why do you shift so hard?". My simple response is, "Don't like, get out. If you want a ride with the supercharger, deal with it" in a sort of nice way....lol.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
05s engage much lower to the floor than the 04s. I test drove an 05 and I felt like a 10 year manual transmission pro as compared to my 04. I'm telling you 04 owners to go test drive an 05 and come back and tell me there isn't a difference................

·
Registered
187 Posts
barefootrl said:
Mine is high also. Drives me crazy when I get in my Jeep Wrangler since that is way down. :rolleyes:

mine is the complete opposite, my jeep clutch is so high that it feels completely different to drive both cars.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
TXRLU said:
05s engage much lower to the floor than the 04s. I test drove an 05 and I felt like a 10 year manual transmission pro as compared to my 04. I'm telling you 04 owners to go test drive an 05 and come back and tell me there isn't a difference................
I have an '05, and if the '04s engage higher... :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts