Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am in the middle of a ky cluctch install. I have everything almost done and i am to the point where the hydraulic line from the mater cylinder needs to be put back on the clutch pipe onyop of the transmission. Everytine i put the fitting back onto the clutch pipe i get a little bit of fluid leaking out of the female fitting. I am hopping that its just the o-ring inside thw female fitting and all i will have to do ia replace that fitting. I hope i dont have to tear everything back out and screw around with the clutch pipe thats inside the transmisssion. What do you guys thibk?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
There's a little rubber "o-ring" on top of the clutch pipe that sometimes gets stuck inside the distribution block. If you replaced the clutch pipe, make sure that that the o-ring off the old pipe isn't stuck inside there.

If you didn't replace the pipe, pull the dist block and see if the o-ring is seated correctly on the clutch pipe. If the ring is inside the block, fish it out with hemostats or a pick and seat it back on the clutch pipe (you should feel it "snap") into place, then reinstall the block and connect hoses.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i didnt replace the clutch pipe because it looked fine and would have had to wait god know how long for a replacement. But you said the o-ring goes ontop of the nipple on the clutch pipe not inside the fitting. Thats how i had it firat but the damn fitting wasnt snapping in. So we tried the o-ring inside the fitting and it got snapped in but leaked. But put the oring on the pipe then huh?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright i am trying that when i get out of work im keeping my fingers crossed :D lol ill lwt u know if it works thanks for the help

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright so the line does not leak now. We have tried and tried and tried to bleed the clutch but we still have no pedal at all. I have enough fluid in the lines to turn over the engine but when we put into gear it stalls right away. So what do i try now?!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tried multiple. Everyonr i can think of. Rented a vaccun bleeder from advanced pumped the shit out of it with it and nothing. Then the old fashioned way of pumping the pedal and oppening the bleeder.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
What works for me: If you bleed it with vacuum, try putting vacuum in the system, pump the pedal 10 or so times, then let it sit for about 5 minutes. Release the vacuum and remove the pump and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then come back and pump the pedal again and you should start to feel some back pressure. Put the vacuum back in and repeat. Do this a couple times and it works pretty well.

My only warning with this method is not to pull too much vacuum as I'm fairly certain that's how I popped my TOB.

Qwik swears by the bleeder on the distribution block method with a helper pumping the pedal but I'm usually working on my car on my own.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So dont just use the back pressure on the pump. Instead place the pump on the bleeder pump the pedal and then close the bleeder for twenty minutes? like that

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
the method i described is pulling vacuum from the reservoir which is the GM method listed in the Chap 5 clutch install instructions. They do not say to let the vehicle sit without vacuum for 20 minutes, that is something I pulled from another thread/how-to and it seems to be the magic pill.

I have heard of people vacuuming from the bleeder but never tried it myself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No unfortuanately nothing is working do you think tgis could be a fn slave cylinder problem. All of the damn bolta were stripped down there and i couldnt remove yhe old slave. Is this my problem i sure hope u say no its my bleeding issue but if it is then its gunna have yo be done

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Slave cylinder/throw-out bearing should not be reused (or clutch pipe for that matter).

The system doesn't have that many components, has to be one of these things.

Clutch pedal to

Master cylinder to hydraulic line to Reservoir
Master cylinder to hydraulic line to distribution block to clutch pipe to slave/TOB

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah thats what i thought too my buddy told me not to worry about it wjen i was down there cuz i couldnt gey the bolts out. So do you think i should re drop the tranny abd replace the slave a.d clutch pipe

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
For piece of mind that you shouldn't have to do it again is worth it to me.

You've got to eliminate possibilities. Are you on the original master cylinder? How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It has a 100k original master cylinder from what i know i bought tge car this spring but the way rhat clutch looked like firat time its been changed

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
If the slave/tob bolt-heads were stripped, it didn't likely come that way from the factory so someone was in there before.

If I were you, I would replace the clutch master cylinder, the pipe and the slave. That way you know all is good. Something like $150 all-in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No i didnt mean they were stripped before i got there they stripped as soon as i put any pressure on them. Damn i cant believe i have to.take the whole car apart again possibly damn this project has been a long standing projct.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts