Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading some posts across other websites, and thought I would try a second gear dump. Uh, No good! My clutch stunk like the ex after that whole ordeal. I think our cars are geared for a first gear start. I was wondering if anybody else has done this, and if this is a bad thing....I know that I am going to hear some shit about this, so be gentle. Take care,

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
first let me put on my flame suit

now why in the hell would you do that? The first gear is so powerful short but so powerful why would you do that to the poor second gear. Man what is wrong with you.

On a more serious note your most likely fine you most likely burnt off some material but no damage. Smell like buring plastic or close to it right. Your fine. Just dont do it again.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
goofyguy said:
first let me put on my flame suit

now why in the hell would you do that? The first gear is so powerful short but so powerful why would you do that to the poor second gear. Man what is wrong with you.

On a more serious note your most likely fine you most likely burnt off some material but no damage. Smell like buring plastic or close to it right. Your fine. Just dont do it again.
Agreed! It did not smell good! Thanks for the input, and I expected the feedback. I just hope that I didn't f' something up. I will have an update tomorrow. The car runs so good, that I would hate to screw something up with only 5900 miles on it. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
all you did was rub off a ton of the material on the clutch. Not really a big deal just lost a few thousand miles. As long as you didnt let it sit there and rub for a minute you wont have a problem.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
goofyguy said:
all you did was rub off a ton of the material on the clutch. Not really a big deal just lost a few thousand miles. As long as you didnt let it sit there and rub for a minute you wont have a problem.
I have a hard time believing that I lost a couple thousand miles off of one bad slip. But, thank god for the killer warrenty. :eek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I thought it was bad to dump the clutch on second. The only difference was that I got a peel out of second and then when the tires gripped the engine bogged down to about 2K rpms. I did it cause my friend wanted to race from a stand still on second gear. Dunno why but what the hell. But now that I'm almost at 12K miles i can sort of feel the clutch slip a hair on 2nd when punching it. Shame on me I guess. Let me put some armor on before everyone beats on me as well.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
When I had to drive through subdivisions and snowy roads, first gear gave me no traction. I always had to start up in 2nd gear and leave it in either 2nd or 3rd while on the snow. I didn't rev it up and dump the clutch whenever I had to start from a stop, just had to keep the RPMS a bit higher to like 2000-2500 to get going. I don't think that this kind of start wears down the clutch a lot more?

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Doing it in snow is WAY different than on a dry road. I do it all the time on snow. Since the tires spin anyways, I really don't think it can be to hard on the clutch, I mean, when you put a Cavi to 2,000RPM in 3RD!!!!! and spin the tires with no burning smell, can't be that bad. I mean it can't be good for it, but can't be horrible either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts