Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the threads and can't find anything regarding pedal travel. Most of the problems stem from the clutch pedal releasing too low (on the floor). I have the opposite problem, my clutch action occurs at the top of the clutch travel. this means I do not need to depress the clutch pedal far to get good operation, yet it is still a ways from the floor (the natural pedal stop).

A high clutch pedal forces abnormal amount of slippage on starts and shifts, because the time required to acheive full pedal release.

Has anyone installed a pedal travel stop/limiter, or is there an adjustment that can compensate for this.

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
Hmm, hydraulic should be self adjusting. Have you done anything to it lately? Any brake work? What year and ow many miles?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Am I incorrectly assuming that a correctly performing hydraulic actuated system (ie like brakes) will act immediately when they are correctly bled of air. For example, brake systems when operating correctly will have a high and firm pedal. My clutch acts identically, the pedal is high and you can feel the point at which the pressure plate engages, its just far higher than I prefer.

I dont necessarily want the actuation on the floor, but I dont want it all they at the top of the pedal either. I have raced manual cars over the years (drag) and a high clutch is an excuse for burned clutches due to the added micro seconds it takes for full engagement as the rpms have already began to climb. In addition starts are rough on the clutch as well when the release is way high on the pedal, not to mention stops/starts on hills. I have never had a hydraulic clutch self adjusting clutch, and based on how hydraulic systems work, I dont know to add free play which is common clutch linkage term. I do remember them being cussed regularly in the early 80's as they became more and more prevalent in the aftermarket scene.

The high pedal release location begs the driver to not push to the floor if he wants a proper and quick release. This is impossible, since the floor is the natural pedal stop.

with a hydraulic system, a worn (but still correctly operational) clutch will be automatically adjusted, maintaining the same pedal actuation height. thats the self adjusting aspect. I have only had the car about 1 month, and it gives me no indication of any clutch problem, except for the pedal height issue, which in all honesty, just may be how they all are in these cars.

If there is no adjustment, then the next course of action is an adjustable pedal stop. I dont see that these cars are outfitted with any sort of feature. I may make me one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I totally agree with u on this shitty clutch pedal release points but there’s no adjustment to be had unless you to check the throughout bearing travel from rest to full engagement I was having problems with my car when the clutch pedal exploded that plastic ball on the end of rod as well as bending it slightly and snapping a fire wall mount bolt lol..... was doing some flat shifting pulls at full throttle when that and slave cylinder blew up lol so I’m doing full rebuild clutch and flywheel......etc I’ll let u no if I find or make something that will allow for any adjustment or control over the shit designed American junk lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts