Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Clutch, Transmission, 5th Gear Synchro Rings Gone- Price and advice

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  golden chicken 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
New to the forums. 2004 Silver Saturn Ion Redline. I'm wondering if anyone has an estimate or rough price I should expect on replacing the synchro ring for 5th gear. The clutch won't stay in. Big question is whether they can do it with the tranny in the vehicle still or if they have to pull it. Also, I have read some horror story abou the tranny work not making it. Is this a concern? Should I warn and advise the dealer ahead of time. I am very picky about those working on my car and if they fail once I usually resort to legal parameters due to negligence. I plan on hitting a dealer for the work because it is a important fix. Let me know. Thanks for any advice and help.
-Phil

#2 ·
Most people buy a used transmission to replace a broken one. Some dealers and other have fixed them correctly, but many have failed at it. My take is the cost to repair (if you are paying) is usually greater than the used one. Good luck.

#3 ·
"the clutch won't stay in" and "blown 5th gear synchro" are two separate issues.

either way, the trans will have to come out.

"I am very picky about those working on my car and if they fail once I usually resort to legal parameters due to negligence"

i understand where you're coming from, but only one chance? that seems a bit...extreme. not every part--even new ones--comes in good working order.

what if you tell them your synchro ring is blown and you want a new trans and they put a new trans in and a new clutch while they're in there and the real problem was a broken or loose shift linkage? you gonna blame them?

not trying to be a jerk, just trying to show you the other side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.