Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ok I have scene alot of crap people have gotten about asking info on the 2.2L vs ours. But I was wondering if anyone had the specs on the clutch setup for the 2.2L. Can we use the standerd IONs clutches or do we have a diffrent setup as far as the transmission goes?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Not sure, but every website i see with clutches for the standard ION, it states for 2.2L only

·
Registered
16 Posts
You would not be able to use the clutch for a 2.2. Our 2.0 engines have a heavy duty clutch that is a 240mm clutch plate. I have not found any so far on websites, but you could also try using the 05 Cobalt as a search option since they have the same engine and trans. Also, just give your local parts store a call. If they do not have it, they should be able to order something for a local distributor that they get their parts from.

·
Registered
535 Posts
r3dlin3 said:
you could also try using the 05 Cobalt as a search option since they have the same engine and trans.
You can also use the saab 93 2.0t as a search option.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The regular Ions use a Getrag tranny, we do not, it's the F35(?) from the Saab...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sp00ner said:
The regular Ions use a Getrag tranny, we do not, it's the F35(?) from the Saab...
why does saturn advertise the redline as haveing the getrag

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I have no idea, it's a mystery to us as well. The regular Ion uses the Getrag, and I heard that the Redline and Cobalt were supposed to as well, but there were problems with it for this application. So they used the Saab's tranny, with a custom gearset for the Redline application.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I know that the pamphlet I received from the dealership for the 2004 says it has, "a heavy duty Getrag transmission" or something similar to that. It's been a while since I've examined it though, a long while.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I also believe that the service manager that I talked to said the tranny is actually made in partnership with Saab and Getrag and GM. So that might be part of it as well. He said something about Saab and Getrag having some previous history of working together. The first guy I talked to knew nothing, he was like 'Umm... I don't know why it would come from Saab, this is a Saturn dealer, we have nothing to do with Saab, it's a different company...' :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Sp00ner said:
The first guy I talked to knew nothing, he was like 'Umm... I don't know why it would come from Saab, this is a Saturn dealer, we have nothing to do with Saab, it's a different company...' :rolleyes:
Sounds like the knowledgable parts department at my dealership. Bastards :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well i tried to find a clutch and got nothing... the 2.2 are totally different then the 2.0's.... I tried to contact Psi-Fi for that pulley upgrade kit and they havent sent me anything back...if anyone knows some other means of getting in touch with them for the kit let me know....

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
everyone interested let me know i work with a company that will make whatever you guys want as far as a clutch goes.
3 puck 4 puck 6 puck etc..... carbon, kevlar, etc.... heavy duty or extreme duty pretty much anything. everything is made in house there i know everyone there. give me an idea of what you all want ill get a firm price then post info on how to get them i use them in my own cars and i have some serious hp in my 300zx tt. never had a problem yet. i run almost 800hp to the wheels and more with nitrous. mine is a triple plate sintered iron/ carbon/kevlar. just some info. i deal with a lot of custom manufactures and can usually source parts like these, ( as long as you guys dont mind buying stuff made overseas i.e. japan hehehe) but really they are not made here i would order them in and send them out.
i do not own one a redline yet so i cant say what works and what doesnt though that would be up to all of you guys here to decide what you want i can call some of my sources and see what they recc but that is without the car. i know people at sp engineering, turbonetics, titan motorsprts, kaztech, jim wolfe, stillen, sgp racing, spl racing, new york performance factory, forced perfromance, greddy , hks etc....many others, so i have pretty good back up here

1 - 12 of 12 Posts