Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about a CO2 intercooler cooler.
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/Ntercooler.htm
I have some questions though...

Will it be effective if I put it on the AC condenser...will the cooling effect travel through and actually cool the air charge? Or should I try to space out the condenser a bit and put it right on the intercooler?

Will it freeze the coolant in the intercooler? Meaning are these only for air to air?

I am also thinking about using a very small bottle: http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/NOSCA/RplcmtBttl.html
like a 1 or 2lb bottle put in the passenger side in that bare space in front of the inner fender.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You beat me to it I've been working on a kit to splice into the system that adds a small heat exchanger and a CO2 blowdown on it. the only reason I didnt post was that I thought with the alky kit showing up there really isnt any need.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
small heat exchangers in an ice bath work as well....

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont really want to spay anything into the motor yet, that will have to wait until after I do rods/pistons later. I was thinking this might be an easy way to cool the air charge at the track. Just wondering if it would be affective given out intercooling setup. On another note, does our intercooler pump run all the time, or does the PCM switch it on and off? I want to put a switch in to run both fans and the pump with the motor off to cool inbetween runs.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I believe it runs all the time ( engine on of course ) but you should pm *** he would know.

·
Registered
629 Posts
they make a air intake that has a chamber in it to add cold ice water or dry ice....

i think its twr ... ill do a serch on it ...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The Dry/Regular ice baths are the easiest, simplest, effective way to do it. I've read about Cobra guys getting close to ambient temps with some setups. The only downside is having to fill the setup and making sure it seals well. Using CO2 or N20 is possible, but the CO2 can't be vented into the intake stream, and if you blast it onto the front exchanger, its gonna funnel right into your intake.

There's a company called Cry02 that makes some neat CO2 powered accessories.

The Water/Alky injections are a much more cost effective solution.

·
Registered
535 Posts
For those of you with the K&N CAI, if you left the bottom half of your air box in, that would work great as a ice box on the intake. I wish I tought of that before I took mine out.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
gm3saturn said:
For those of you with the K&N CAI, if you left the bottom half of your air box in, that would work great as a ice box on the intake. I wish I tought of that before I took mine out.
unfortunately, with the drain holes in the box you'll leak water all over and they REALLY don't like that at the track...

the main goal should be cooling the intercooler coolant further after it leaves the heat exchanger, while an alky injection kit serves good function of cooling the actual intake air itself

·
Registered
21 Posts
vita i justed wanted to let you know landshark1 on new tiburon is my brother and i own an 04' redline. The information you posted was a big help and i'm looking to really get max power out of the car so if you could point me in the right direction that would be great. thanx

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sp00ner said:
The Water/Alky injections are a much more cost effective solution.
Don't you have to have that running all the time? And set the car up for it?
I was just looking for something to cool down the charge at the track not really for performance all the time.
I have the K&N do you think the small ring on the intercooler whould put out enough to enter the air stream?? I was more worried about freezing the coolent in the cooler than injesting co2. Nitrous express still has not responded to my email about it :mad:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think alky injection is the way to go. Or try water wetter in your intercooler. Or both. Heck, with alcky injection I don't think you need anything else.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
ender said:
Don't you have to have that running all the time? And set the car up for it?
I was just looking for something to cool down the charge at the track not really for performance all the time.
I have the K&N do you think the small ring on the intercooler whould put out enough to enter the air stream?? I was more worried about freezing the coolent in the cooler than injesting co2. Nitrous express still has not responded to my email about it :mad:
On an air to air intercooler, the basic idea is to freeze the intercooler into a temporary ice block. With our air to water, that won't happen. You simply don't have enough time for the spray to chill the water inside of the intercooler any appreciable amount, and you could imagine the consequences of 'succeding' on that one. Also, the intercooler's heat exchanger is the middle one, so you'd have to blow past one heat exchanger just to get to the intercooler's.

You don't have to modify the car to handle Alky injection, nor do you HAVE to run it all the time. Unless you have something done to your car that requires the water injection to run right, ie. very small pulley, etc. If you were to hook it up to you car in mainly stock form, you could turn it off whenever you wanted. As far as I know.

I would suggest looking at the Cry02 company as well, it's much cheaper than N20 in the long run, and they have some much neater applications. Not to mention they're a smaller company and might be a little easier to get in touch with.

·
Registered
104 Posts
About the Cry02 system they keep advertising. I used a simplified Otto cycle (I am an engineer) and came up with a 10 hp increase. That seems to make sense. Let's face it, during the winter, it is not like our cars turn into super power houses. For the money, it doesn't seem to be worth the meager gain in hp.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The coolant in the intercooler system holds a LOT of energy(heat), it's going to take a lot of intercooler spraying to get that temp to drop. Plus you actually spray the condenser so your probably not getting much effect on the intercooler radiator. The cooling effect comes from the liquid NO2 hitting the radaitor and pulling the heat from the intercooler radiator as it evoporates. I would rather spray the NAWS into the engine ;)

The grand am cobalt loses the AC condenser and upgrades the intercooler radiator to a dual pass. Thats the direction I would head in, but then again I don't think it's the bottle neck at this point.

Plus have you guys checked the intake air charge temps? It's onlye 30-40 degree above ambient. It's not outragous.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
ArrivalBlueSS said:
The coolant in the intercooler system holds a LOT of energy(heat), it's going to take a lot of intercooler spraying to get that temp to drop. Plus you actually spray the condenser so your probably not getting much effect on the intercooler radiator. The cooling effect comes from the liquid NO2 hitting the radaitor and pulling the heat from the intercooler radiator as it evoporates. I would rather spray the NAWS into the engine ;)

The grand am cobalt loses the AC condenser and upgrades the intercooler radiator to a dual pass. Thats the direction I would head in, but then again I don't think it's the bottle neck at this point.

Plus have you guys checked the intake air charge temps? It's onlye 30-40 degree above ambient. It's not outragous.
Icebox is the cheapest, easiest, and safest way to go, if you want to get colder. Take a note from the Cobra guys. Plus, I can build an icebox for $200. The CryO2 setup is gonna be $500 for just the base setup and the spray ring. It's too bad, it's a good concept, but the execution of it is way too hard, along with the cost. Even though it's cheaper the N20, it still is more than a $1 bag of ice that you can get at any ******* grocery store next to a race track/drag strip. Find a place to get your CO2 filled in 20 min during the lunch break!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Co2 costing $500 PAH (sorry spooner I just cant see buying what I can build) I put together a set up using a 20 oz co2 (paintball tank) and a co2 rated airbag suspension valve and have less than a hundred bucks invested. The part that I have the money in was the heat exchanger I built.

Basicly I used sch 60 alum pipe 1.5" id and a sch 60 alum pipe 3" id machined end caps and welded her up. It works awsome before the outlet hose was fairly warm now its cold to the touch. The way it works is I inject co2 into the inner tube allowing it to expand and boil off grabbing the heat energy from the fluid that flows between the inner and outer tube. The coolest thing is from the top of the engine bay you cant see it.

As far as filling the bottles I do my own but I play paintball, But all you got to do is go to a paintball store or feild for a couple of bucks your back in action. I'm not dissin the ice box idea overall it WILL be cheaper and lasts longer.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I may use hard brakeline with a buch of holes drilled into it and see if I can put it between the AC and the heat exchanger and then buy just a decent size bottle from someplace. I assume that any valve would work any where in the line right??
I just dont want to damage the setup by freazzing the coolant inside the exchanger.
Sinister I would love to see pictures of your set up.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ender said:
I think I may use hard brakeline with a buch of holes drilled into it and see if I can put it between the AC and the heat exchanger and then buy just a decent size bottle from someplace. I assume that any valve would work any where in the line right??
I just dont want to damage the setup by freazzing the coolant inside the exchanger.
Sinister I would love to see pictures of your set up.
Be careful on the valve you use co2 can freeze them open and damage the seal. The ones I use are from chassis tech, they are a 12volt solonoid valve used primarily for airbag suspensions. If you inquire them ask for yuri and tell them Total Obsessed Customs sent you, He will know what you need and they're like $35-$40. I will try to post pics but my camera is all f'ed up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts