Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done reading the Cobalt SS article in the current isuue of MPH and they have the SS at 0-60 in 6.1 seconds and qtr. mile in 14.6. This is .1 and .2 seconds faster than an Ion RL from the factory respectively.
Does anybody know something I don't?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Just cuz..

They probably just said that because they don't want a Saturn being faster than a Chevy. In all reality, i went over there to that forum and i saw a couple dynos...highest one was about ~180. I think those bigger wheels create a lot more parasitic loss.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
i would have to agree the bigger the wheel the slower you go, the smaller the wheel the faster they can spin. think about a geo damn small ass wheels.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
they arent faster..

and yes those big wheels hurt them, i talked to a modded RSX typs S i ran into the other week, he told me that my redline is the first one he ever saw, and he is way more scaird of redlines than cobalt SS's. I asked why, and he said the redlines have been out longer, and the chances of running a modded redline is greater than a modded SS.

he makes sense.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Any difference between the two will be very small at best. They have the same engine, same transmission, same platform (delta).

As for the wheels, I don't believe that an 18 wheels is going to make that much difference. Since the Redline came out first it's also only logical that GM learned from some mistakes it made on the redline and corrected them in the SS/SC and probably future redlines.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I heard the Cobalt was a couple of mph faster on the to end. The 0-60 was within .1 and the 1/4 it was .1 slower.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Neither car is faster than the other... if you want hard facts... they only ones that exist to make a difference between the two cars is:

SLIGHTLY less weight for the Redline... 2890 vs 2933.. nothing there really...
1" larger rims on the Cobalt with the same final drive... this one could cost a tenth or so somewhere in 0-60 or 1/4 mile.

There's not a single difference that really matters. The two tiny ones actually give an advantage to the Redlines, but you'll never see it on the road or track. The driver will affect the time WAY more than anything else.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
My bone stock RL ran a 14.5 on my first ever trip to the track. I can't wait to find an SS. I'll probably see a few this weekend at the Downriver Cruise. ;)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
wolfie said:
I heard the Cobalt was a couple of mph faster on the to end. The 0-60 was within .1 and the 1/4 it was .1 slower.
There nothing I've seen to suggest that... unless aerodynamics on one is better than the other... I have no idea about any of that info...

Other than Saturn bais that is... larger wheels, same gearing, same engine, more weight, FASTER top end?

·
Registered
679 Posts
i have beaten a blk SS but it really doesnt count cuz the mods i have but he held up in 1st that was it. It wouldnt make scence for them to be faster in top end bigger wheels cant spin up to that high of speeds......hens slowing them down.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
ive driven both, first gear is better in an ss.

less wheel hop, first thing i noticed when i compared it to my RL.

both cars are aweasome though, i could be happy in both.

keith-

i like that mines more rare than an SS

·
Registered
199 Posts
Could the slightly better times reported be because the SS comes with an LSD standard? Thought I heard that it did somewhere. Or is that just in their GX5 (or whatever) package?

Xian

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yah

Ya your right, that probably will be the difference. I could see a stock ss vs a stock Redline...SS winning by a bumper because of the launch (given the drivers are equal)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
xian said:
Could the slightly better times reported be because the SS comes with an LSD standard? Thought I heard that it did somewhere. Or is that just in their GX5 (or whatever) package?

Xian
It dosen't come with it standard. It comes in the package similar to our Competition Package. It's bundled with the Recaros in the Cobalt though. They get the boost gauge standard. Which I like.

The 18's might help with the wheel hop too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sp00ner said:
It dosen't come with it standard. It comes in the package similar to our Competition Package. It's bundled with the Recaros in the Cobalt though. They get the boost gauge standard. Which I like.
Cool. Couldn't remember. Couldn't find a Cobalt SS to test drive when I was looking recently. Not that I would have gotten the Cobalt over a Red Line anyway, but I wanted to check it out. :)

Xian

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
that is actully are new times too ;) better drivers means better times!

the srt-4 started out at 14.7 then 14.3 now is 13.9 so the more time a person has to perfect his skills with the car the better the times will be!

My bro has a SS i beat him all the time (and he is better driver) I run neck and neck with my other bro in his SRT-4 untill 100 then he pulls (pretty good)(he has intake and new exhaust setup SS only has intake :D

plus now that the SS is out im always seeign SS specs not the redline because the SS is more popular just like the STI specs over Wrx ;) they hsould have them all :mad:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
the SS is probably quicker than the Red Line right off the showroom floor..........The SS costs more than the Red Line thus the extra $$$ saved by the Red Line owner would weigh him down some more :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts