Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

cobalt SS Vs. ion red line

23K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  ekool 
#1 ·
i just wanted to kno what, if any, are the diffrences between the cobalt SS and the ion red line? i kno the cobalt has a LSD. and motortrend stated the cobalt could get to 60 in 6 flat which i think it a bit quicker. and it says the Lateral G was .89 which is alittle better then the ions .85. is this all due to the lack of a LSD and can u put a cobalt LSD in it? thanks for the help

#4 ·
fine by me I still have the #1 car under 20k

#5 ·
oaktonarcher said:
i just wanted to kno what, if any, are the diffrences between the cobalt SS and the ion red line? i kno the cobalt has a LSD. and motortrend stated the cobalt could get to 60 in 6 flat which i think it a bit quicker. and it says the Lateral G was .89 which is alittle better then the ions .85. is this all due to the lack of a LSD and can u put a cobalt LSD in it? thanks for the help
The LSD is in development for the Cobalt. It won't be standard on the SS or any of the other ones. It will be an upgrade. The 0-60 numbers will be the same as ours, although the cobalt will be a little heavier. With the 18s, in might do better on the skidpad. Once it comes out though, we should see lots of parts that we can use.

#6 · (Edited)
This just my perspective, but the cobalt doesn't seem to have as much forethought to it. It's like they took the redline, slapped bigger rims on it, changed it to steel body, and gave it a normal gauge cluster.

The funny thing is from what I've seen the cobalt ss is 300 lbs heavier and about .3 slower on the quarter. Further, I'm not sure the suspension is modified to compensate for the changes of greater unsprung weight from the rims and the additional weight of the steel body.

I *suspect* it will be nowhere near as neutral and balanced as the redline ion. I think it will just appeal to a less meticulous type who want a honda front end and corvette tails.

Just my opinion. I *WOULD* like to see saturn in a horsepower war with chevy though. If they can't get one going with honda or the imports they should pick a fight locally :)

#7 ·
For the same reason that I chose an '02 Sunfire GT over a Cavalier Z24 I would (and did) choose a Redline over a Cobalt SS. Chevrolet is in the basement of the corporate styling department (the must have sub'd out the Corvette out) and IMHO the Cobalt SS and Cobalts in general are butt ugly. And as they do in the corporate gran scheme of things, the 2 cars share the same platforms and drivelines and the differences will be miniscule at best. Probably driver skill will make the major difference.

#9 ·
true, i do think i have made a decision based alot on price b/c right now there are a few redlines for sale around my houe with less then 2k on them and they are going for about 15k which i think is a much better deal then i can get on a cobalt. im also thinking i would much rather have the dentless doors and then suicide doors and there are a number of other features that i like more then on the cobalt. only thing i have to be honest about it i like the front of the cobalt more.

#10 ·
weight...2800lbs

1/4 mile time...14.5

0-60...6.0

and this is all through motortrends feb issue...even chevrolet itself is quoting the 0-60 time as 6.1...so motortrend must be on the right track. they even said it was the quickest fwd car theyve tested in 3 yrs in when it comes to the cones...even faster than the z51 equiped corvette...but the one they tested did have the performance package (lsd, rearco seats) on it. made good for toilet reading...

#11 ·
I didnt think that the Cobalt had recaros?? Im going to need pics of this. I can hear it now, everyone is still going to give us crap for having a saturn and say we should have bought the cobalt..... :mad: My black redline imho still is way sexier than a cobalt tho! :D

#12 ·
chevy and saturn will be offering performance package which for the ss will include recaro seats lsd and boost gauge. the redlines package will have the boost gauge lsd and graphite finished 17in wheels

#15 ·
Dman said:
weight...2800lbs

1/4 mile time...14.5

0-60...6.0

and this is all through motortrends feb issue...even chevrolet itself is quoting the 0-60 time as 6.1...so motortrend must be on the right track. they even said it was the quickest fwd car theyve tested in 3 yrs in when it comes to the cones...even faster than the z51 equiped corvette...but the one they tested did have the performance package (lsd, rearco seats) on it. made good for toilet reading...
I saw somewhere it was 3200 lbs; but unfortunately I can't find that source. However I found a number of different weights ranging from 2800 lbs for the cobalt ss 272 concept to 3000+ ... even saw one identical to ours, 2924lbs.

Ugh.

This should be interesting; if it is lighter, that's cool. The handling would be interesting to see but it's more dependant on weight. I know the cobalt SS is going to try and leapfrog the saturn, basically using saturn to figure out what people actually want.. which sucks. I hate chevy.

#19 ·
You wanna know what the big difference is?

The size of the advertising budget.

Honestly, I think that if you put a Redline, and a Cobalt SS both in front of me, and asked me to pick one, just by looking at them, I'd take the Redline.

Redline...

Cobalt...

Civic...

The Cobalt, to me anyways, just looks too much like every other compact car. The Redline is different.

#23 ·
i like the look of both these car's..only thing i dont like about the cobalt tho is the giant wing on the ss version..but i can live with it...i was gonna get a red line a while back, but then heard about this cobalt, they said it would be the better performer out of the two, so far its got great reviews..but i think that these two cars are so simular that the you redliners dont have to feel threatend at all.. of course it comes down to a drivers race. But I look at these 2 cars as tag team ,import destroyers lol. Cant wait to get my cobalt ss

#26 ·
BlackRedline04 said:
Cobalt kinda looks like the scion tc now that I look at it again, especially from that rear side angle...
Sorry, BlackRedline04, I have to dissagree with you on this one.

I think there are more Ion Redline styling cues than the Cobalt in the TC.

Of the 30 or so I've seen so far, at first glance - either angle - I mistake the TC for a QC. As soon as my eye calculates the size difference, I realize its another TC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.