Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted a red Cobalt SS on route 68, outside of Cumberland, Maryland today (was driving between Washington D.C. and Pittsburgh, PA). He pulled along side me, and happened to glance over (why he looked @ an Elanta beats me). Anyway, I gave him a thumbs up and motioned for him to floor it. He did so. The pickup was great! I was doing about 70, and he walked away (I wasn't trying to run with him haha).

I decided to pop into my local Chevy dealer (Centry III Chevy) before I finished my trip. They had 5 Cobalt SSs, two blue, three black. Very, very sharp cars. I love the interior.

However, each was stickered the same: a little over $24k. That's mind boggling, IMHO. I honestly would go with a new SRT-4 if I was going to spend more than $20k. However, I still hope to find an 04 RL.

Just thought I'd toss in my two cents. Nice looking ride, but the price is ridiculous. I'm not sure if there are any offers on it, but I doubt it.

--Jon

·
Registered
681 Posts
Saturn of Monroeville (PA, just East of Pittsburgh) has a couple of 2004s left...that's where I got mine.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim Lewis said:
Saturn of Monroeville (PA, just East of Pittsburgh) has a couple of 2004s left...that's where I got mine.
There are quite a few '04s still in the Burgh. I'm just hoping to start work ASAP so I can nab one.

However, they're not exactly flying off the lots. I doubt I'll have trouble locating one.

But man! Them SSs were sharp. Too bad about the price :(

--Jon

·
Registered
681 Posts
The price - exactly - especially when you can get a new 2004 RL for $15,500-16,000....mine was $16,800 5 months ago, with sunroof, XM, big wing, and upgraded sounded system with 6-disc...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
there's one running around my town now, ill have to go find him and line up with him....i hear its a kid drivin it too, so im sure he's got that "saturn?" mentality. not to stereotype or anything :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
yepper i found my black one for 15,8 but it has nuttin in it, hopefully i can get it cheaper and my girl to post the pics up for me to show you guys.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've seen a couple of the Cobalt SS' on the road. They look nice, IMO. Though I still like the RL better.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I drove over to a local dealership today to see one in person. I do have to say they are nice looking in person but I'm not too fond of the way the wheels are finished. The sales person that came over to chat had just a dumb founded look on his face when I told him the car was built on the same chassis as mine and shared the same motor and driver train. It sounded like he was convinced that the SS is the only car that had the LSJ. Somone needs to do some research me thinks. :rolleyes:

Not a bad looking car over all. Still like my RL though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
MotorMouth said:
The sales person that came over to chat had just a dumb founded look on his face when I told him the car was built on the same chassis as mine and shared the same motor and driver train. It sounded like he was convinced that the SS is the only car that had the LSJ. Somone needs to do some research me thinks. :rolleyes:
It is odd that there are so many sales people who seem to know very little about the product they sell. I know that they have many different models on the lot and many more off it, but it isn't that far fetched to know that the Cobalt and the Ion share platforms.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree about the rims on the SS. The color was just...I dunno, looked dirty to me. And if they chromed them, they'd be way too bright. I think skinnier 5 spoke 18" rims would look nice, and even 17" rims.

But in the end, I have a feeling the SS is going to go the way of the RL, but for different reasons. People seem to be avoiding the RL because it's a Saturn--even the dealer who test drove with me told me that. I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I like a sleeper car. Thus, you save big money.

People are going to look @ the window sticker on the SS and probably scoot down to Dodge and, hell, pick up a ACR prepped SRT-4 for a grand or more less. So maybe we'll be seeing '05 SSs on the lot next year, with hefty price reductions. (Can dream, can't we? :D )

--Jon

·
Registered
323 Posts
i stopped at a chevy dealer down the street from me to look at the orange SS/SC they had. i parked near it, got out, and was met by a salesman. he asked me if i was looking to upgrade. i said for what it is the same car. (Basically) he was like no this is better and he looked at my car a minute and had to ask if it was a red line. i said i would straight up trade but he said it wouldnt happen, so i left. haha. i wanted to drive it just to compare but when i said something about driving it he didnt say anything back. i might hit up a different dealer, i know one around here has like 8 or 9 of the SS/SC.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
a fellow salesman sold a new cobalt ss today for 20k...

the new gm deal applys to all chevys but the vettes, that means gms on all cobalts

crazy shit

keith-

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
i want to know what the hell my car has that makes it so friggin expensive compared to all of you. Jim, you bought your car for 16,800? I paid 23,000 for mine and all mine has is spoiler, 6 disc w/ 6 spkr, and sunroof. Is there really that much price difference between '04 and '05?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
you just didnt get any deals or incentives. plus you got an '05. we got '04's when they were starting to be left over for the 05 model year.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I went up and looked over a SS real good. For a few reasons I like the car better and some were worse. The trunk a little smaller. The intake is differnt it goes over the ABS system thats odd. The dirty wheels. The regular gauges wierd. The likes were the seats the SS logo is sweet. I pulled right up next to it and the salesman looked at me like i had 40 heads or something. We were chatting and he pointed out I dont have a spoiler 5 times I was Duh moron I got rid of it. But he couldnt tell me one reason the SS was better. He liked my car as it sat smooth and fast. I cranked up the car and let him hear the mufflers and left.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When I first saw the Cobalt in person at an auto show, I thought "WOW, that is sweet!" Fortunately for me, they weren't available to buy at the time. I had time to get over the initial WOW and actually think about the differences between this and the Red Line. I thought "I don't really care for the front end too much, don't like the wheels, hate the big wing on the back, the trunk opening is too small, the interior is ugly, center mounted guages are way nicer on the ION, Recaro seats, extra 2 doors on the QC (awesome), and the price is better on the '04 Red Line.

Hmmmm..... I guess I just made up my mind.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Blubatmobile said:
i want to know what the hell my car has that makes it so friggin expensive compared to all of you. Jim, you bought your car for 16,800? I paid 23,000 for mine and all mine has is spoiler, 6 disc w/ 6 spkr, and sunroof. Is there really that much price difference between '04 and '05?
I bought my 2005 in December, after the 2005s had come out - there was about $6000 in incentives at the time. Mine has the same equipment as yours, I think.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts