Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 saturn ion redline and 2002 subaru impreza wagon
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else had this happen i was driving normal 10 or so min after making a pull and car started missing bad so i limped it home to find the coil had broke the boot off and the plug was sitting on top of the valve cover?i did find the bolt holding that coil in was not the same as the rest and have since got a new bolt new coil and had to heli coil the plug threads in the head its running fine now.mods are long tube header catless downpipe 2.5 in pipe to a straight through muffler no resinator and a cai i made myself that runs to the front bumper and a zzp 1.0 computer that was on the car when i bought it also im in denver so high altitude i only see 9psi or 9.5psi of boost is that normal for straight pipe and high altitude ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
has anyone else had this happen i was driving normal 10 or so min after making a pull and car started missing bad so i limped it home to find the coil had broke the boot off and the plug was sitting on top of the valve cover?i did find the bolt holding that coil in was not the same as the rest and have since got a new bolt new coil and had to heli coil the plug threads in the head its running fine now.mods are long tube header catless downpipe 2.5 in pipe to a straight through muffler no resinator and a cai i made myself that runs to the front bumper and a zzp 1.0 computer that was on the car when i bought it also im in denver so high altitude i only see 9psi or 9.5psi of boost is that normal for straight pipe and high altitude ?
New to the thread, NOT new to motorsports. I have to say i was stunned when my sparkplug blew out of the hole on #3 cylinder, during easy driving at 75mph on the freeway.

I see this is fairly common (based on the chatter on this forum) but I am still amazed. Has anyone got into the engine and got to root cause. I have 40K on my redline, including some heavy sports road racing (club racing) never a problem. Is this fatigue failure, detonation, ??

Regardless, I'm doing a complete tear-down and will be happy to relate my findings, if anyone cares. Have a ported head, doing the zz adjustable pulley on the super charger, clutch upgrade, zz's performance tune. If the block was damaged by the plug failure, we'll do a complete block too.

Other questions: is there a header and 'test pipe' combo for the exhaust available?
Windage tray for the oil pan out there? (modern engines are pretty clean internally but it helps oil scavenge)...

Thanks and keep them on the road.

About to drop the engine/transaxle out. Should be interesting.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
2004 saturn ion redline and 2002 subaru impreza wagon
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine also blew out of #3 altho i found the bolt on that coil was not the same as the rest,i fixed the threads with a heli coil and new plugs and coil and car is runing fine.going to be retuning it soon as i just got hp tuners,its got a zzp 1.0 tune now i will work off of that unless anyone has a copy of a stock tune i would like to compair the zzp tune and a stock tune

·
Super Moderator
1,832 Posts
New to the thread, NOT new to motorsports. I have to say i was stunned when my sparkplug blew out of the hole on #3 cylinder, during easy driving at 75mph on the freeway.

I see this is fairly common (based on the chatter on this forum) but I am still amazed. Has anyone got into the engine and got to root cause. I have 40K on my redline, including some heavy sports road racing (club racing) never a problem. Is this fatigue failure, detonation, ??

Regardless, I'm doing a complete tear-down and will be happy to relate my findings, if anyone cares. Have a ported head, doing the zz adjustable pulley on the super charger, clutch upgrade, zz's performance tune. If the block was damaged by the plug failure, we'll do a complete block too.

Other questions: is there a header and 'test pipe' combo for the exhaust available?
Windage tray for the oil pan out there? (modern engines are pretty clean internally but it helps oil scavenge)...

Thanks and keep them on the road.

About to drop the engine/transaxle out. Should be interesting.

View attachment 35934
Welcome to the group!

Zzp has a bunch of exhaust options.
Over the years I believe the best route for the stock supercharger has been the stock exhaust mani (ports match the head) with a catless 2.5 in downpipe, and a 2.5 in catback.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My cyl #2 and #4 both blew out spark plugs and melted the coils (sperate times), i heli coiled them on car and replaced coil packs. i did find oil in the spark plug tube and wonder if an oil leak from the cam cover gasket could have influenced the failure. All was fine with a new gasket and a thread repair, . I just pulled my engine last month for a hone job/pistons and a bit of a rebuild as I have over 250k miles on mine and i was burning over 2 qrts of oil per 1k miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My cyl #2 and #4 both blew out spark plugs and melted the coils (sperate times), i heli coiled them on car and replaced coil packs. i did find oil in the spark plug tube and wonder if an oil leak from the cam cover gasket could have influenced the failure. All was fine with a new gasket and a thread repair, . I just pulled my engine last month for a hone job/pistons and a bit of a rebuild as I have over 250k miles on mine and i was burning over 2 qrts of oil per 1k miles.
I find your note very encouraging, that you got extended life on the repair. Thanks

When you pop the spark plugs, they will continue to ignite in the plug tunnel, which will melt the coil pack and related wiring. I would speculate the oil is just leaking valve cover gaskets, i had that on one cylinder and otherwise it was good. Oil is a poor conductor of electricity, so I suspect it was not related to plug failure but am interested in what the broader group has to say. I am deeply suspicious the plug failure is from detonation, in my case I knew i had filled up with sketchy gas even if it was marked 'premium'.

good luck on the block refresh. Sound like you lost your oil rings, often the first to fail.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I find your note very encouraging, that you got extended life on the repair. Thanks

When you pop the spark plugs, they will continue to ignite in the plug tunnel, which will melt the coil pack and related wiring. I would speculate the oil is just leaking valve cover gaskets, i had that on one cylinder and otherwise it was good. Oil is a poor conductor of electricity, so I suspect it was not related to plug failure but am interested in what the broader group has to say. I am deeply suspicious the plug failure is from detonation, in my case I knew i had filled up with sketchy gas even if it was marked 'premium'.

good luck on the block refresh. Sound like you lost your oil rings, often the first to fail.
Yeah, checking my logs definitely have 100k miles on the first repair, I don't race or anything , but i do 2nd and 3rd gear pulls almost daily so the repairs see plenty of boost.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I never saw that, when I worked at Saturn or Buick GMC. I’m pretty sure spark plugs should be torqued to 15ft lbs.
when I replaced mine, I did the initial 15ft/lb torque like you said and pretty much everywhere else. Well I put maybe 800 lightly used miles on it in the last year before I checked them again and they all had no torque on them. I suspect the new copper washer May crush slightly losing some torque. I bumped them up to 18-20ft/lb and they have been good for a year so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
on the old Ion mod, engine is out, tranny seperated. the build up begins. New head, lvl 2 tune kit, 3.0 pulley, ported
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas
/polished, hd clutch, headers, etc.

I expect it to grenade on the first track day but we'll see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts