Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
the only thing i don't have hooked back up properly is the ground strap from the valve cover to that head. does that make a difference. the car drove fine for 2 months after the rebuild till last week. no tuners closer than that to me. im trying to get it back to running right i might need it to fall back to driving as a dd again. business isnt looking good.
It prolly wouldnt hurt to put that back on. Its only a 10mm I think.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i disconected my battery to clear the cel. it did, started the car and went down the road little more black smoke than usual w/ running rich. my cel blinked while driving and no change in sound still sound like a subie. i have no way to finsh working on it tonight. its dark and the garage is full.

·
I
7,839 Posts
Autozone should be able to check your codes. It won't mess with your tune and it would help a bit if you had them. If you had an interceptor gauge that would have been even better.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Most def...
Im wondering if possibly your 02 sensor went bad. Could be the cause of the CEL and the sudden change in car performance. Just a random idea that popped in my head.
But yeah, as the Golden one said, check those coil packs first.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
if the O2 went bad it'd run in like a limp mode and he'd probably have a solid CEL.

scan for a code. if it's like misfire in one cylinder only, then swap coil packs around and see if the code follows.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
i was thinking blown flex pipe until he mentioned the flashing CEL. i'm gonna put my money on a dead coil.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
should be between 200 and 210...also before doing a compression test u must pull the fuel injector fuse from under the hood... from the gm books one or more cylinders must not be 75 percent below the highest

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The light was solid before I disconnected and reconected the battery. I did
diconnect the fuse before performing the compression test. I'll check the cel as soon as possible

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Not entirely true about a bad 02 sensor running like in limp mode.
When mine gave up it ran decent, minus some black smoke and hiccups. Asides from that, There wasn't a loss of power. Maybe I was just lucky.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Not entirely true about a bad 02 sensor running like in limp mode.
When mine gave up it ran decent, minus some black smoke and hiccups. Asides from that, There wasn't a loss of power. Maybe I was just lucky.
not limp-mode specifically...i just meant that the computer inserts a value so the car can still run, but it's not true control like if the O2 sensor was working.

blown head gasket should show up in a compression test.

·
BECAUSE RACECAR
7,440 Posts
Well when i replaced my gaskets i put the S/C gasket on backwards and it sounds like a subaru, idled shitty and i got a CEL alot of people remember that. I flipped the gasket around and ran great cleared the code and i was good.

Also could have a crack flexpipe or downpipe leaking alot of air out.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Wouldn't he get idle surge if it was a vacuum leak on the intake side? Subie sound can come from blown flex pipe as well. CEL can throw if O2 sensor is reading unmetered air coming in from scavenging through a crack in the flex joint.

·
BECAUSE RACECAR
7,440 Posts
Wouldn't he get idle surge if it was a vacuum leak on the intake side? Subie sound can come from blown flex pipe as well. CEL can throw if O2 sensor is reading unmetered air coming in from scavenging through a crack in the flex joint.
Yah like i said check the flexpipe be4 taking it to the shop or ripping your car apart.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts