Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adam, please chime in here as well if you get the chance.

How much of a problem will heat be with these headers on? I was told by some buddies at work that I should wrap it or have it ceramic coated because the heat will be signifigantly higher and may cause other problems.

Thoughts and input please.

Also, Adam, are we gonna be able to install the stock heat shield on these without any extra modding?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Adam, not to change the thread topic but, I was wondering if you could give your two cents on the difference in sound with the new headers. Raspier, throatier, ect... or louder and by what percentage.

As for the heat, I'm sure Adam has done his homework here as we'll find out. He always has a technical and thorough answer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
A little thing about headers...

Stainless steel does not require ceramic coating. Mild steel, however, should be coated. I'm not sure what kind of steel is used in the SCdyne headers, but there is a difference between the two when it comes to heat transfer.

Also, heat wrapping is a bad idea in general. Moisture collects inside the wrap and tends to rust very easily. This is why ceramic coating is a better alternative.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
they are stainless steel, and he said we are not to wrap them

·
Registered
609 Posts
In all my exp with headers, they have never changed the sound of the exhaust. Simply more power. Then again this is from my exp, so dont live by it. I think we will all be very happy with it though. By the way, any news on when they are going to be shipped?? Any heads up would be greatly appreciated by us all! :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
I know were all checking the board several times a day.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
a list would be nice to who will recive them as well. I know I paid but I get paraniod when things go long ya know. Not saying anything against ya but something for us to go by sure would be nice.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, will it be necessary to put the stock heat shiled back on it or can we just leave it off without issue?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
we'll be able to leave it off, i don't think it should cause a problem, hell, it might not even fit back on!

·
Banned
177 Posts
Mild Steel has a thermal conductivity of around 30 BTU ft/hr F and 304 Stainless is around 10 BTU ft/hr F. What that means is that stainless steel conducts 2/3 less heat than mild steel. The result is that much less heat is transferred to the engine compartment and more is directed out through the exhaust system. The benefits are increased exhaust velocity and quicker light off of the catalectic converter system.
Increasing the interior diameter of the individual primaries and collector will change the exhaust note to a deeper tone.
The benefits of the exhaust header make it an improvement over the stock manifold for emissions and have proven to lower emissions in California SMOG tests, including the cold-start test, but because we are publicly claiming a performance benefit it falls under the CARB certification rules and has to be issued a CARB EO# to be legal for use on public highways in California.

The status on the order is that packaging and literature is being completed today. Headers are being test fit and any issues I have with them are being addressed. I was not happy with the final finish of a number of units and that had to be addressed. Remember this is the first run of headers and delays can’t be avoided, no matter how hard I try.

This list reflects the email address of the paid orders for the first run of headers. Some individuals purchased more than one unit, but it’s not reflected on this list as twice as many as originally planned have been purchased as of 12/15/04.
[email protected]***.com
[email protected]***.com
[email protected]***.net
[email protected]***.com
[email protected]***.com
[email protected]***.com
[email protected]***.net
[email protected]***.com
[email protected]***.com
[email protected]***.com
[email protected]***.com
[email protected]***.com
[email protected]***.com

If you have any specific questions or have not sublitted your VIN then email me. I'll post our phone number after the first of the year.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Adam.

We all appreciate the reply and update. Still looking forward to recieving the header. :)

Glad to see you are taking the time to ship out a quality product.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thanks Adam for your response. Although I can only speak for myself, I appreciate your diligence in trying to ship the orders and maintain a quality product even on the first prototype runs. Nothing like being caught between a rock and a hard place. With delivery expected soon, I find myself more excited than my two kids waiting for Santa.

Have a great holiday, although it will be tough for you this year.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
thanks for the update!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Shoot, I forgot to email you my VIN. Hopefully that doesn't delay my shipment. Will hopefully get to it tonight...

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
sweet im in

·
Registered
609 Posts
One question adam, What size pipes should we get for the best results as far as exhaust?? Some ppl have been sayin 2 1/2, some 3... I know i want to change mine but what should i do. One of my friends with a REALLY fast saturn said i should just go 2 3/4. Which would benefit the most?? :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Redlinekid_04 said:
One of my friends with a REALLY fast saturn said i should just go 2 3/4. Which would benefit the most?? :)
Let me guess, Sam? If not him, it must be Jay, lol. Anyways, to tell you the truth it's probably everyone's guess until people start dyno'ing these puppies with the increased exhaust size. I think GM put a 3 inch exhaust on the souped up Cobalt SS they did, maybe that'll help you decide. If I ever (which I doubt) do an exhaust to this car it will definitely be a 3 inch catback...

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
barrys is 3 right any down sides you see to his over yours?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Barry's son on his dad's exhaust system......

Redlinekid_04 said:
He kept the stock pipes but got a custom y welded to branch off for 2 mufflers, then they cut out the exact same little inlet on the other side so it looks stock. I think just one magnaflow will be louder tho, the air wont have to travel thru the y and then branch off to 2 different mufflers. Im just gonna do the muffler and maybe 2 1/2to 2 3/4.. Not sure yet tho...

I don't know of anyone who's done a 3" on the RL yet. I just made the entire system 2.5".

The headers we are getting have a 2.5" collector. In order truly benefit from a 3" wouldn't you need to have the entire system (including the header collector) at 3"??? If not, the 1/2" difference there would be a restriction, correct?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts